Ritual Magic Limitations

logomancer

I'm developing an order of mages in my Fantasy Hero game that uses magick in a ritual setting, i.e., requiring a certain number of participants for the spell to be cast.

From the product description online, it sounds like there maybe rules for this in the Valdoran Age, but I haven't had a chance to check out the book itself. Are there any standard limits for requiring more than one caster?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Ritual Magic Limitations

Are there any standard limits for requiring more than one caster?

5ER has a limitation called Requires Multiple Users. The limitations give a -1/4 limitation for each "double requirement".

-1/4 for 2 required users

-1/3 for 3-4 required users

-3/4 for 5-8 required users

and so on...

Just as an aside, if this spell style has this limitation on all of the spells (or even just the really nice ones), this will more than likely mean that PC's will never be able to use this type of magic.

If that's what you're going for (I'm doing this with some of my more sinister magic, myself), great. If not...

Nightshade

...if I recall correctly there is an option for allowing casters to attempt rituals with fewer than the normal number of people at a skill roll penalty, which works for Magic Systems that incorporate skill rolls of some sort.

On a semi-related topic, I discuss various common limitations appropriate for Spells in this document:

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/HighFantasyHERO/GeneralSpellRestrictions.shtml

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bblackmoor

On a semi-related topic, I discuss various common limitations appropriate for Spells in this document:

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/HighFantasyHERO/GeneralSpellRestrictions.shtml

Have I said recently how cool it is that you have all of this stuff online? Allow me to say so once again.