The Unreal Magic System

Cantriped

Re: The Unreal Magic System

Looks pretty solid--I especially like how you've thought out things like the Expanded SFX Group, and I especially like how you've picked up the 'Physical Manifestation' lim. The one thing I don't like is the divide-real-cost-by-3 handwave. It's an inelegant kludge that's basically an admission that most Hero powers are not properly costed for fantasy. Instead you could define the Spell limitation as -2 1/2, which should give similar results.

yeah every thing below the line was taken right off his site. and I realize the devisor is unelegant, but luckily its probably only temporary, I plan on replacing the Mechanics with somthing less clunky before long. however it is partially true that powers aren't as well costed for Fantasy as they are for other Generes, the system wasn't initially designed for it I don't think. and there are plenty of arguments both for and against using such a system, but very few potential solutions that are not "unelegant" I plan on looking over shrikes site again this afternoon and seeing if I can't find somthing that will work better with some tweeking.

yeah every thing below the line was taken right off his site. and I realize the devisor is unelegant' date=' but luckily its probably only temporary, I plan on replacing the Mechanics with somthing less clunky before long. however it is partially true that powers aren't as well costed for Fantasy as they are for other Generes, the system wasn't initially designed for it I don't think. and there are plenty of arguments both for and against using such a system, but very few potential solutions that are not "unelegant" I plan on looking over shrikes site again this afternoon and seeing if I can't find somthing that will work better with some tweeking.[/quote']

Feel free to contact me directly at killershrike@killershrike.com

Ill help you out as much as my schedule allows.

thank you, I'll do that. Essentially I agree with all of you, I'm not fond of the Devisor, primarily because there are no restrictions to the overall spelluse to explain its existance, that and how does one deside what magical powers are counted as Spells (and thus get the divisor) and which are abilities and do not. But it does serve a purpose 9 times out of 10, depending on the restirctions placed on Non-Mages.

The system is designed to go into a low to midrange point game, (players start at 50/50).

Hmm. I tend to think things aren't appropriately balanced for fantasy as well...but in the other direction. Fantasy characters simply shouldn't be able to fly (even at low speeds) for 2 Character Points, nor gain Telekinesis (even at low strengths) for 3 Character Points. I know, I know, that's what GM decided minimum costs are for...which makes it absolutely pointless to buy spells at low powers, since they cost the same as powerful ones. Yes, people have suggested fixes for this, such as custom Talents, but they all seem clunky. :idjit: Anyway, I'm just griping. Sorry.

I tend not to think of spells in terms of thier individual costs, but rather based on the costs of everything it takes to effectivly use said spells, for the most part everything a fighter has to take to be evvective (with the exception of Martial Arts) the mage will need as well, and they also need a skill (or even many skills) to use thier skills, essentially think of spells as the equipment that utilises all those other investments, just like a fighter would with a Longsword (which is essentially 16 or so free character points in most respects), the benifit in choseing your "equipment", and its general inability to be taken is represented by the CP cost of spells(even if its a low one)