Advantaged HA + Str+MA

Dead guy on tab

Question

Steve,

I was reading your reply about the High Strength low HA question, and I find myself confused (yet again). On August 11, 2005, you stated that the explanation on p. 408 5ER was incorrect. Here is my current understanding so you can correct me:

1) When you have an advantaged HA, you divide the Strength by the sum total of the advantages (excluding reduced endurance). Thus, in the previous example of a STR 70 character with a bunch of 1d6 HA with assorted advantages. He would do DC(70/1.5)+1 = 10d6 AP, DC(70/1.75)+1 = 9d6 DKB, etc.

2) If you use martial arts in conjunction with an advantaged HA, the damage from the martial arts just adds on top of the total. If the guy from (1) had martial arts he would do 12d6 AP with a martial strike and 14d6 AP with an offensive strike and 11d6 DKB with a martial strike and 13d6 DKB with an offensive strike

3) Is there an extra limitation that the amount of strength which may be added to the Hand Attack is equal or less than the active points of the Hand Attack before advantages? In (1), the guy would only be able to add 1 damage class to the attack, but to do this for armor piercing would require 7.5 Strength.

4) Final example to be clear

A character in Champions with a 3d6 HA AVLD (power defense) 0 End, 20 strenth, and applicable martial arts. Hits someone with his attack using martial strike. Does he do

a) 8d6 AVLD (3 HA+3 (15 Str) +2 (MS)) Costs 1 END

B) 6d6 AVLD (3 HA+DC(20/2.5)=1 (STR) +2 (MS)) Costs 2 END

c) 4d6 AVLD (1 HA (Restricted by Str) + +DC(20/2.5)=1 (STR) +2 (MS)) costs 2 END

Thanks for the patience

1 answer to this question

Re: Advantaged HA + Str+MA

I did not state that page 408 is incorrect. I stated that one small paragraph, the very first one at the top of that page concerning weapons, is erroneous, and I directed the questioner to the correct statement of the rule. The rest of the page is still perfectly correct. Using the rules on that page, if a character has, say, an HA +1d6, Armor Piercing and 70 STR, his options are to do 2d6 AP or 14d6 with no Advantages. Martial Arts, not being affected by Advantages, would add to that damage using the standard rules for adding damage with Martial Maneuvers.