Bio-Booster Armor Guyver for Champions

Captain Pants

Awhile ago when I was unemployed, I spent way too much of my free time creating characters from the Bio-Booster Armor Guyver manga. I'd seen all the movies, the 80's cartoon, and the comic books translated to English, and tried to include everything I could.

It's been awhile since I made these characters, and I'm sure I would do things differently now, but it is what it is. I created Guyver I-III, Zoanoids, Hyper-Zoanoids, the Hyperzoanoid Team Five, the Lost Unit, Zoalords... everything a growing boy could possibly want in order to play in the Guyver universe.

Take a look at:

http://www.geocities.com/battlepuppy/Guyver/

Comments are welcome.

- Cappy

Re: Bio-Booster Armor Guyver for Champions

Awhile ago when I was unemployed, I spent way too much of my free time creating characters from the Bio-Booster Armor Guyver manga. I'd seen all the movies, the 80's cartoon, and the comic books translated to English, and tried to include everything I could.

It's been awhile since I made these characters, and I'm sure I would do things differently now, but it is what it is. I created Guyver I-III, Zoanoids, Hyper-Zoanoids, the Hyperzoanoid Team Five, the Lost Unit, Zoalords... everything a growing boy could possibly want in order to play in the Guyver universe.

Take a look at:

http://www.geocities.com/battlepuppy/Guyver/

Comments are welcome.

- Cappy

It is thorough and readable. I saw the first 2 movies many years ago, and this brought back memories. Thank you for doing this.

I have a few nits. The Zoanoids' Susceptibility to being dead isn't a disadvantage. It's a clever way to simulate their evaporating after death, but it should probably be a special effect instead. Also the strength for Guyver Gigantis appears to be wrong. If I didn't miss anything, 8 + 100 (multipower) = 108, not 118. I could have missed an extra +10 though.

Combat in this universe is brutish and short. Con (~18) + Def (~10) for the villains I checked is less than the expected stun from their own attacks. Guyver 1 drops into turkey carving mode with a 4d6 HKA.

I have a few nits. The Zoanoids' Susceptibility to being dead isn't a disadvantage. It's a clever way to simulate their evaporating after death, but it should probably be a special effect instead.

True. They're NPCs and I had a certain leeway, but you're probably right. I patted myself on the back for this when I came up with it, tho :) Another thing I would change now would be the Mega-Smasher inside the Multipower. I made these characters in Metacreator, and within that program, you could take a MP slot over the pool size in points, but you lost the 1/10th bonus for all the points past the pool size. That was, I've since found out, not legal.

Also the strength for Guyver Gigantis appears to be wrong. If I didn't miss anything, 8 + 100 (multipower) = 108, not 118. I could have missed an extra +10 though.

Without looking, I think he has 2 lvls of Growth, Always On (which is also now a no-no, I realize).

Combat in this universe is brutish and short. Con (~18) + Def (~10) for the villains I checked is less than the expected stun from their own attacks. Guyver 1 drops into turkey carving mode with a 4d6 HKA.

Woo! That makes me happy to hear. In the Manga and cartoon, he mows through them like plastic bags filled with blood, but everyone else (police, etc.) couldn't hurt them. Sounds like they could do with a boost, though. A good shot with a heavy revolver (2d6-1) could do 11 BODY and 55 STUN, more than enough to hurt them. :(

Thanks for the nits!

- Cappy

Another thing I would change now would be the Mega-Smasher inside the Multipower. I made these characters in Metacreator, and within that program, you could take a MP slot over the pool size in points, but you lost the 1/10th bonus for all the points past the pool size. That was, I've since found out, not legal.

Well, in the current system it actually can work similar to this, since you can link a power from outside a multipower to a specific slot. So if you wanted a 150 point power in a 100 point MP, you can link a 50 point power that adds to that slot. I.E.:

Booster MP (100 point pool)

-10 Mega-smasher: 20d6 EB

oustide pool:

+10d6 EB (Linked to Mega-smasher)

At least, I think that is legal. :think:

I think it is too, but that's really a point-saving measure I shouldn't have to resort to, since this isn't for any specific campaign with point maximums. It's just an attempt at creating the character in the HERO system.

I found the link to Gaster was going to Gregol, and that's now fixed, if anyone cares.

I also found that Guyver III's stats aren't similar enough to Guyver I's, and that's likely because I updated Guyver I and was too lazy to update Guyver III.

I now have a bug to recreate everything in HDv2 and make the .hdc files available.

Thanks for the comments!

[about how combat is nasty, brutish and short -- solitary and poor have not yet been determined]

Woo! That makes me happy to hear. In the Manga and cartoon, he mows through them like plastic bags filled with blood, but everyone else (police, etc.) couldn't hurt them. Sounds like they could do with a boost, though. A good shot with a heavy revolver (2d6-1) could do 11 BODY and 55 STUN, more than enough to hurt them. :(

Thanks for the nits!

- Cappy

You can reduce the stun they take and be fine. At around 30 con + def, the bullet will stun them with a probability of 34/216 ~ 0.15 (I think I got the math right). Throw in some fairly high DCVs compared to humans, so we assume a 9 or lower to hit (misses include the SFX of a bullet glancing off the creature's armor). 5.6% of the shots fired will stun the beasties. OK, that's still too high, as I assume fusillades of gunfire didn't work. Fortunately, 25% damage resistance stops the stunning fast. 3/4(damage - 10) > 20 works out to needing 50 stun, a 3/216 chance (~1/216 if you go by shots rather than hits).

So, what's this do to our poor Guyver? 4d6 armor piercing against PD 10ish, Con 20ish, Body 18ish, 25% reduction on stun only. An average roll does 9 body, so two hits and they're dying or dead. How often are they stunned? (3/4(damage - 5) > 20 --> 32 stun to make them Stunned. This happens a little over half the time (not going to do the math right now). If that's not frequent enough for you, drop the piercing and add more d6 to the HKA. You don't need it with the way the villains are statted out.

Congratulations on capturing the flavor of combat in the manga. I think your self-assessment was too harsh, and I'm a nit-picker.

5.6% of the shots fired will stun the beasties. OK' date=' that's still too high, as I assume fusillades of gunfire didn't work.[/quote']

Actually I'm not certain of this -- later, Japanese-only issues of the manga have the Zoanoids taking over the world, but show little detail in how. Presumably, the world's armies were made into zoanoids, and then activated on D-Day. So them being completely bulletproof, especially if they're lesser zoanoids, may not be necessary.

Fortunately, 25% damage resistance stops the stunning fast. 3/4(damage - 10) > 20 works out to needing 50 stun, a 3/216 chance (~1/216 if you go by shots rather than hits).

I could do this with the Hyper Zoanoids, and higher with Zoalords.

If that's not frequent enough for you, drop the piercing and add more d6 to the HKA. You don't need it with the way the villains are statted out.

Conceptually, the arm blades are supposed to cut through just about anything. At the time, I interpretted that as being either NND, Does BODY, or AP. Seeking moderation, I settled on AP :) Since then, I've learned that AP is really a waste of points. Penetrating is quite effective against foci, so that may be a better choice.

Congratulations on capturing the flavor of combat in the manga. I think your self-assessment was too harsh, and I'm a nit-picker

Thank you for your suggestions. I plan to use them when I rewrite everyting in HDv2.

- Cappy