Follow-up Trigger / Martial Maneuver

Zed-F

Question

First, this power construct is invalid, absent GM permission. You shouldn’t use Trigger as a replacement for Damage Shield. It’s certainly possible to have a Triggered HTH Combat attack (such as in one of the examples on UMA 105), but if the Trigger’s resetting instantly and automatically, you’re pretty much just duplicating Damage Shield — so you should use Damage Shield.

Second, if a character has an HA Damage Shield, the HA damage adds to his STR as usual. It doesn’t add to Martial Maneuver damage, nor is he allowed to use his Martial Maneuvers with the Damage Shield. A character can apply Damage Shield to a specific Martial Maneuver in appropriate circumstances, using the rules for that on UMA 104-05.

Ok, but the Damage Shield power wasn't really what I was asking about; I was more interested in the interactions with Trigger. So let's change the power slightly so that it's a triggered HTH attack instead of a damage shield. Suppose I have a character with the maneuvers Martial Block and Fast Strike, skill levels with martial arts, and a MP slot containing a trigger-based attack as follows:

Counterstrike: Hand-To-Hand Attack +3d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a 1/2 phase action to reset; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2)

1. If his phase was used to martial block, does he choose a maneuver to use with the 'free' triggered HA, or does it count as a basic strike?

2. If he is blocking, do any of the OCV/DCV bonuses from the original martial block maneuver or martial arts skill levels apply to his 'free' attack?

3. If he can choose to use an attack maneuver with the 'free' attack, does that then stop his block sequence, assuming he would like to block multiple incoming attacks?

1 answer to this question