Post Apocalyptic Mutations

Frenchman

Good morning to All! (even though most of you are probobly reading this at night). I finally finished the random mutations chart for my Post-Apoc Hero game, and I couldn't wait the 1/2 hour to start gaming to show it off.

One of the most frustrating things about setting up my Post-Apoc world was a paucity of developed material, at least compared to Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and other genres. So I'll help out those seeking such things by putting this out here.

It's not quite all the way finished (I still need to add more hyperlinks to the document, and I haven't really checked it for bugs yet) But it is fully usable. Any suggestions for improvement?

Thanks, All

Edit: Oops, I'd better attach the damned file, too.

Guest Major Tom

Re: Post Apocalyptic Mutations

I agree with pinecone. This table does cover virtually every sort of mutation

that one could encounter (or undergo) in the course of a post-apocalypse

campaign -- so much so that, if you've no objections, I'd like to go ahead

and use it for when I put together my own PA campaign.

One question, though: is this table by any based on the "Better Random Mutant

Generator" that used to be at http://www.darkrealms.com/~antcrusher/rmg.html?

Major Tom :confused:

Of course you should feel free to use it, or put it on your website, or change it, or whatever.

I started creating a similar generator about a year ago, but stopped about halfway through. This one is me finishing and revamping that one. I looked for a few online before I started to create my own (I don't want to put in the work if someone else has allready done a good job of it) and none of the ones I found were really what I was looking for.

The one I really drew any inspiration from can be found at http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Park/3440/rmg.html

I originally started to modify his, then scrapped it and started from scratch because I didn't want to generate a list of sFX - just powers. I also didn't want mental powers (I added them to this version). So I suppose the one you mentioned may have been some inspiration (I can't be sure, link doesn't work for me) but I like to think that I pretty much did it all by myself, drawing ideas from Miller's.

Guest Major Tom

The darkrealms.com link didn't work for me either when I tried it. Fortunately,

the link you posted is for the same site.

Major Tom :thumbup:

Of course you should feel free to use it, or put it on your website, or change it, or whatever.

I started creating a similar generator about a year ago, but stopped about halfway through. This one is me finishing and revamping that one. I looked for a few online before I started to create my own (I don't want to put in the work if someone else has allready done a good job of it) and none of the ones I found were really what I was looking for.

The one I really drew any inspiration from can be found at http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Park/3440/rmg.html

I originally started to modify his, then scrapped it and started from scratch because I didn't want to generate a list of sFX - just powers. I also didn't want mental powers (I added them to this version). So I suppose the one you mentioned may have been some inspiration (I can't be sure, link doesn't work for me) but I like to think that I pretty much did it all by myself, drawing ideas from Miller's.

I think I gave full credit to the original Mutant Generator author when I added it to the Wasteland Hero site. The two generators referenced are one and the same, I may have just reformatted it. Really, the tables are just random Power generators... the 'mutation' definitions are up to the player.

When I tried to open it, it broke. Figures...

RAM

Very nice work on yours, BTW. I think the PA genre needs to be addressed by HERO eventually. There should be a pretty nice-sized niche of potential buyers out there for the Apolcalypse industry.

Guest Major Tom

Would you consider a half-animal/half-human hybrid to be a kind of mutation

(depending on what caused the development of said hybrid -- whether by

something like the Proteus Virus from GURPS Psionics or some form of

genetic alteration)? If so, where would that particular mutation fit on the

table?

Major Tom :confused:

Like I mentioned, I tried to avoid sFX on the table, and I consider animal-human hymbrids to be a special effect of a group of mutations. Certainly, if someone noticed that several of their mutations worked together in a way that could be defined as being the result of such a mutation, that would be allowed - what better way to define a mutant with claws, a tail, and nightvision?

I also don't force my players to roll on the table for each mutation, though that is encouraged. I require all mutants to have at least one random mutation, and beyond that, the character may choose randomly or make up their own. In my game, I actually have three animal-human hybrids - one because his species of cat-people are one of the ones I established in the world, another wanted to be a rat-person and I liked his twist on them enough to make them another common species, and the last is a unique house-cat-like being.

I am toying with the idea of encouraging random mutations by giving them a slight cost reduction somehow, but I don't want it to seem like I'm slighting the non-mutant (theres only one)