Campaign Sheets

gregghelmberger

I'm about to run my first-ever superhero game and I'm debating the utility of putting out a sheet for campaign power levels. It has pros and cons, obviously, and these are perhaps exacerbated by the nature of the game. It's going to be a PBEM game that is going to involve at least two threads for each character. Basicially I'm going to be taking inspiration from books like The Avengers or JLA in that there will be a thread, or "book" for the team, but then each PC will also have a solo thread or "book," like how Captain America, Iron Man, Superman and Batman have their own solo books in addition to their team books. This places unique demands on character creation, since characters have to be able to function solo as well as in a group context, and make me wonder if campaign sheets are the best way to go.

On the pro side you will wind up with characters that you know will be capable, but not overpowering for the challenges they will get. You know that you'll wind up with characters who don't blow their wad in overwhelming attacks, unassailable defenses, or whatever, so they'll have enough points to be versatile (an important consideration given the nature of the game). Another important point for me, being a first time GM in this genre as well as at this power level, is that having definite limits on Active Points and combat values will make me calmer and more sure of myself; I'm already nervous about it as it is. :)

Balanced against that, I think, are just two points, but they're both extremely important. First, some character concepts absolutely demand certain builds that would exceed the 60 or 75 or whatever Active Point cap, but wouldn't necessarily be terribly imbalancing, and thus limit player choice and freedom in character creation. Second, having those sorts of limits tends to promote a uniformity in characteristics, damage classes, combat values, etc., which chaps me considerably.

For me, the cons would clearly outweigh the pros except for the fact that I am new to the genre and not entirely sure of my footing. I'd appreciate advice, either about general campaign guidelines as a concept or about other specific approaches I could take. Thanks.

Re: Campaign Sheets

The Rule of X rules are an alternative to setting strict active point limits. I've found they do increase variety among the characters without making things totally freeform.

Active point limitations can be tricky. I find it best to set one but with caveat that it can be exceeded if it seems nessecasary.

Re: Campaign Sheets

The main thing to remember is that you are the GM.

You have the right to demand changes in all characters presented to you, and you can waive your own campaign guidelines if you wish.

Talking to your players before they start designing characters would be a good idea. See what they want to play, and ensure that the group is reasonably well balanced, make sure that your campaign guidelines can encompass reasonable versions of their characters, and, of course, make sure that their characters are reasonable within your campaign guidelines.

It's entirely possible that your problem might solve itself, if everybody sits down and has a brainstorming session.