Exodus 2025: A campaign idea looking for input!

Matt Frisbee

Re: Exodus 2025: A campaign idea looking for input!

Yeah, but I might undergo some sort of transformation once I leave my planet. Maybe something awful happens to me, and I become a psychotic murderer, take over a ship, and become a pirate. Yar.

And to be honest, that sounds like a really sucky universe. I mean..... how can you even have a story? Where's the room for conflict, except against this totalitarian regime?

Well, in the case of the novels in question, most of the conflict comes in the form of the protagonists, members of the "Expendables" (that's not their official name, of course, but that's how they refer to themselves in private), being sent off to explore potential colony worlds. Which can be a very dangerous and dirty job--remember, the big cheeses who send them off on potentially suicidal missions are perfectly safe as long as they stay on earth.... As long as the explorers themselves aren't violent or negligent about harming other sentients, they're safe enough in traveling.

It's nota pretty world. But it's not supposed to be.

Also, I recommend some of John Ringo's novels of humanity vs. the Polseen.

Seriously good sci-fi. Epic battles. And humanity shows everyone else in the galaxy that when I member of the 555th Armored Combat Suits is talking, you need to sit quietly in the corner until he's done.

"Gust Front," "A Hymn Before Battle," several others. I heartily recommend them. They take on a sort of..... rushed feel later, but I hope he will pull back from that.

Oh! Plot hook!

How about........ the ICP isn't what it seems to be. Long ago, some truly DEVIOUS race created a myth of it and used it to "pacify" some other races, and has been perpetuating the lie to control all known life in the galaxy. However, every now and again, there are certain races that don't quite the brainwashing/mind-control, and have to be carefully controlled.

They thought they had humans under their thumbs.

Little did they realize that that is just the first place humanity will sink its teeth into when it discovers its oppressors.

What WAS the Ares Convention again?

The Ares Convention was written and signed by all of the Inner Sphere states, it basically limited the scope of battle via feudal style rules of conduct. Basically, by limiting the potential impact of warfare on civilian populations it meant that wars became continuous. It was the start of "Age of War" on the Battletech timeline.

I was just trying to give examples from either end of the spectrum, how adopting conventions to limit what is allowable in warfare could go either way, making our "problem" worse or better. Just what came to mind, I'm not saying they were the best examples...

I'm also tired of the "self-loathing all the evil in the universe is our fault" view taken in alot of "Sci-Fi" lately like the new Battlestar.

What sent me over the top was that wretched, written for a dim 13 year old, "5th Element" movie, with the scenes where Leeloo was going over the history files. Good dog, isn't there someone out there who can be a bit more creative than that? Sorry its off topic, but why oh why must science fiction movies be either written for 13 year olds, or slow moving, filled with abstract images, "artistic" and ultimately shallow ("Aliens" being a fine exception to this trend).

oh and its not "sci-fi" its "futuristic".

I was just trying to give examples from either end of the spectrum, how adopting conventions to limit what is allowable in warfare could go either way, making our "problem" worse or better. Just what came to mind, I'm not saying they were the best examples...

No, no it was a very good example. I specfically remember the part of it that banned the use of atomics.

Katrina was still a ho-bag.

Sorry I haven't had time to post to this thread until now -- and WOW! A great big THANK YOU! to everyone who has posted to this point! I'm copying and printing many of these postings so I can seriously dredge the gray matter on some of the issues presented here. :)

Okay, let's see if I can either clarify or muddy the waters here:

The basic concept with the Commonwealth is that it has been around for at least several thousand Earth years, though not much more than say 10,000 Earth years. Why? I was hoping that the stars in this part of the galaxy, for the most part, would allow for "approximate" parallel development, at least as far as starfaring technology goes. A few of the races of the Commonwealth have interstellar histories stretching back tens of thousands of Earth years, though they have tended to stagnate and not continue the push outward and have dwindled in numbers due to the fact that as life expectancy goes up, birth rates tend to decline. Some former members of the Commonwealth have turned inward over the years and no longer participate in interstellar matters, as well. Thus, the need for new members on occasion, regardless of whether or not they are warlike, unpleasant or have a hard time doing cooperative work.

By the way, this universe isn't going to be a campfire sing, as someone suggested. Here's a simple question, though -- "Why does someone help a complete stranger?" or more simply "Why should aliens care about anyone else?" If you need an answer to that one, look to the parable about The Good Samaritan sometime. Advanced races show compassion for others,

and try to assist or save them from pain they themselves have already suffered. By that definition, I believe humans qualify. The Commonwealth needs humans as much as humans (in the aliens' point of view) needed the Commonwealth. How exactly, I'm still working on, but Utopian societies make for truly boring settings for role-playing games, IMHO.

The Commonwealth, like most of the political systems on Earth, is functional from an economic standpoint, but isn't Utopian by any stretch of the imagination. Humans in this game are in great danger of being pawns of the major players, much like Cyberpunk characters sometimes are pawns of the Megacorporations, or the Native Americans were of expansionistic European Americans (provided they simply weren't exterminated, like many were by loss of lifestyle or disease). Hopefully, the characters will be able to steer their way clear of the pitfalls and forge their own destinies, rather than be the means by which someone else achieves the same goal.

Space Pirates -- haven't decided yet, but I'm inclined to think not, just because I'm more interested in having the action take place on a planet or space habitat, than in the middle of the Big Black. Why? Because many other games do that sort of thing, and I'm looking to be somewhat different this time.

Hopefully, I will get back to posting regularly here, but work is work sometimes, especially around the holidays in the radio business. :) Still, I hope to address some of the issues brought up by all of you with your thought-provoking posts. And once again, thanks for your input.

Matt "I'm-working-on-it" Frisbee

That's Hollywood and television for you these days.

No talent and no imagination.

What sent me over the top was that wretched, written for a dim 13 year old, "5th Element" movie, with the scenes where Leeloo was going over the history files. Good dog, isn't there someone out there who can be a bit more creative than that? Sorry its off topic, but why oh why must science fiction movies be either written for 13 year olds, or slow moving, filled with abstract images, "artistic" and ultimately shallow ("Aliens" being a fine exception to this trend).

oh and its not "sci-fi" its "futuristic".

By the way' date=' this universe isn't going to be a campfire sing, as someone suggested. Here's a simple question, though -- "Why does someone help a complete stranger?" or more simply "Why should aliens care about anyone else?" If you need an answer to that one, look to the parable about The Good Samaritan sometime. [i']Advanced races show compassion for others,[/i]

and try to assist or save them from pain they themselves have already suffered. By that definition, I believe humans qualify. The Commonwealth needs humans as much as humans (in the aliens' point of view) needed the Commonwealth. How exactly, I'm still working on, but Utopian societies make for truly boring settings for role-playing games, IMHO.

Some other reasons:

• It eliminates the competition they will have from Earth if Earth became an interstellar power on its own.
  • If there is another political force in the galaxy, perhaps Earth, or the area designated for human to inhabit serves as a buffer (an interstellar Belgium)
  • As you mentioned, everyone needs a pawn and its easier to control the new race rather than an established political faction
  • From the Alan Dean Foster novels, humans make good soldiers

Two possiblities for the alien introduction would be to connect their announcement with the League of Nations if you want to make the introduction before WWII, or the United Nations if you want to make it after WWII. (not making any political statements about those two organizations, but they were the first signs of international cooperation and participation). I would recommend after WWII for two reasons. First WWII had a major impact shaping the modern world, so in my opinion, it would be hard for players to role-play it didn't happen. And second, after WWII the colonies are gaining independance from the colonial powers.

Two possiblities for the alien introduction would be to connect their announcement with the League of Nations if you want to make the introduction before WWII' date=' or the United Nations if you want to make it after WWII. (not making any political statements about those two organizations, but they were the first signs of international cooperation and participation). I would recommend after WWII for two reasons. First WWII had a major impact shaping the modern world, so in my opinion, it would be hard for players to role-play it didn't happen. And second, after WWII the colonies are gaining independance from the colonial powers.[/quote']

Hmm...interesting idea there, especially introducing the aliens just as the United Nations is wrapping up its first assembly. Aliens arriving to help with the reconstruction of earth might be welcomed by some nations ravaged by the horrors of the war (such as cleaning up the radiation issues in Japan, or rebuilding Poland, for starters).

To be honest, the test balloon for this campaign didn't fare well with my potential players -- they like the idea of alien races, but they want to play aliens instead of humans interacting with aliens. *sigh* Still, I have some hope that the essential pieces of the conceptual work will survive.

This has been such a crazy week for me, personally, that I really need to focus on my ongoing campaign or we won't have a session on Sunday. But I'll keep this project on the back burner for a few days while I get things squared away. Thanks for posting, by the way. :)

Matt "Kinda-strung-out-right-now" Frisbee

Sad news, people. Exodus 2025 has been shot down by all of the players around here -- they want another go at Cyberpunk 2020 when we get done with Champions (whenever that will be). :) Nice to know I do something right, though.

Once again, thanks for the input, everyone -- feel free to steal, if you've got the urge. If it goes anywhere, let me know!

Matt "Still-playing-gamer-politics" Frisbee