Teleport Trap

Dust Raven

The Teleport Catcher thread got me to thinking. How would you build a power that basically forced anyone teleporting into a certain area to appear in a specific hex (such as in a holding cell or back outside a secured facility)?

For example, I have such a trap set up in the basement of my base, inside a holding cell. Anyone attempting to teleport into, out of or within a 50" radius of the hex the trap is in automatically appears at the trap, regardless of where they were they were aiming.

Another example: A PRIMUS is attempting to capture a particular villain who always gets away by teleporting. They manage to track him down and set up a trap in one of their ant-super paddy waggons. Now, if he trys to escape he'll just end up in the waggon and be captured instead of getting away.

So, how would you build it?

Guest daeudi_454

Re: Teleport Trap

Teleportation 50", No Relative Velocity, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Ranged (+1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; +1), Usable As Attack (+1) (240 Active Points); Can Only Teleport To Fixed Locations (-1)

Plus

Teleportation: Fixed Location (1 Locations)

Plus a Detect Sense with Targeting.

1 Fixed Location (1 point), Usable As An Attack (+1), Ranged (+1/2), Increased Max Range (+1/4), Triggered (auto reset - when Teleport use is detected; +1), Indirect (+3/4), AoE: 1 Hex (+1/2): 5 Active Points

Plus

Detect Teleport Use, Sense, Ranged, Targeting, 360 Arc of Perception, N-Ray, +20 to roll: 55 Active Points

Plus

+20 OCV to hit target with UAA Fixed Teleport Location: 40 Active Points

Total

100 Active Points. Slap something like OAF Immobile on it if you want to bring the cost down (at least on some parts of it; the 2-point CSLs aren't eligible for that).

This does require some hand-waving, though; (1) that a UAA Fixed Teleport Location will override the intended destination of the target of the attack and (2) the Triggered use of the UAA Fixed Teleport Location will be "fast" enough to catch a teleporter "in the act" and divert them.

Note: the reason so many "pluses" were purchased for the Detect & for OCV isn't just massive overkill; I'm assuming the Detect, being a simple unmonitored device and not an AI, will have a PER Roll of 9- (having no INT upon which to base a PER Roll) so the +20 puts it at a 29-...safely into the "it never misses (except for an 18)" range as well as being high enough to offset any range penalties. Likewise, assuming the device that hits the teleporter with the UAA FTL will have an Attack Roll (OCV) of 9-, not having a DEX score, so +20 OCV puts the OCV at a 29-, likewise high enough to "never miss" and overcome any range penalties within the limits of the asked-for (50") range.

Rather than make it an attack on the teleporter - and require big pusses and some handwaving - why not make it AoE, triggered (by use of teleport)? Then all you need to do is hit the hex where your AoE is centred. Since you already hit the hex and it's AoE, anyone teleporting into the AoE should be sent to the cell with the big Suppress teleport as soon as they land.

That's how I've always done it....

Cheers, Mark

My girlfriend came up with an idea.

Teleport UAA, AE (really big radius), Continuous, Only Versus Targets Teleporting Into, Out Of Or Withing The Area, Only To Fixed Locations, OAF Bulky

Plus

1 Fixed Location (the bulky Focus)

It works on the principle that whenever a character enters an area in which a constant power is on, he is immediately affected by that power. The Limitation dictates exactly when. for those teleporting into the area, the SFX simply allows for them to appear instantly at the trap instead of appearing for a Phase at their intended destination before being teleported again.

For really big traps, I could add megascale.

It's a pitty Descant doesn't have the time to post to the boards anymore, I would have given her rep for this.