H.G. Wells and Pulp Superpowers

OddHat

Guest daeudi_454

Re: H.G. Wells and Pulp Superpowers

Anyone aware of what this particular HGW story has already inspired?

Besides the STclassic episode? http://www.ericweisstein.com/fun/startrek/WinkOfAnEye.html

I would so love to run a campaign in the HGW Universe....

He has always been my fave, since I was 5.

I once did a study of blockbuster scifi from 1938 on... IIRC, 80-85% of the big hits were obviously based on HGW.

Long Live Herbert!

Anyone aware of what this particular HGW story has already inspired?

Besides the STclassic episode?

I would so love to run a campaign in the HGW Universe....

He has always been my fave, since I was 5.

It's a story about a professor who invents a formula that gives people superspeed, to the point that the world is an endless gallery of statues, at the price of aging them and requiring them to consume more food. They also risk bursting into flame if they move too quickly. All are common speedster issues in the comics. Only an educated guess, but I expect that most Golden Age superspeed stories (the Flash, all his spin offs and heirs, especially Johnny Quick) owe this story a debt, just as most invisibility stories owe a nod to the Invisible Man, the Hulk owes a nod to Jekyll and Hyde, etc.

The Wild Wild West television show had an episode like this (The Night of the Burning Diamond) . A scientist liquified diamonds and drank the drops from the residue. He moved incredibly fast (and invisble to boot) but died when James West threw alcohol on him and the scientist burned up due to this molecular structure moving at an accelerated rate.

Excellent episode :thumbup: