Turn A Gundam HERO

Michael Hopcroft

During my enforced time off-line (and no, I don't know how long it will be) I'm planning to catch up on my anime watching. And one of the things I plan to watch is Turn A Gundam, the bizarre and controversial entry in the famous mecha franchise.

The hero of the series, Rolle, is a scout from the Moon who has, in the company of a small group, returned to Earth. Aparrently there was some sort of previous catastrophe and Earth has degenerated technolgoically to a WWI level of technology. People are flying around in dirigibles and biplanes, wearing ornate Victorian dress, etc. Rolle is discovered by a wealthy family and becomes their cheauffer, befriending the daughters of the house. And he eventually discovers the location of a buried "kami" known as the White Doll. This is, of course, a Gundam -- a legendary mecha from before the catastrophe of incredible power by any standards the Earth people are familiar with.

But just as Rolle is assisting in the initiation of the younger daughter Socie, his people come back - in force. With mecha of their own. And start laying waste to the Earth's unprepared defenses. Rolle may have come from the Moon, but he has come to love the Earth and, more importantly, to love Peace. So he and the White Doll set out to stop the war.

Of course, this being a Gundam series nothing is that simple. Rolle is distrusted by both sides. The Earth forces develop steampunk-style mecha of their own. And the eldest daughter of the family Rolle has befriended turns out to be have such a close resemblance to the Queen of the Moon, Diana, that they are able to switch places with nobody the wiser. Eventually the Earth forces will have to go to the Moon themslelves to try and forge a peace....

Re: Turn A Gundam HERO

spoiler

Honestly, the idea of Turn A wasn't bad. The fans were curious. The style reminded a lot of people of Miasaki style shows. However, it degernated over time into 'fancy space people with semi Japanese ideology' fighting out between godly nanomechs that can destory the world. Sigh.

Otherwise, your fine as long as you don't delve into that plot.