Metamagick Feats in HERO (my current idea)

Thia Halmades

Re: Metamagick Feats in HERO (my current idea)

Killer Shrike: Not only have you solved my Metamagick dilemma, you've developed a very expensive (albeit incredibly cool) magic system in and of itself. To make it more resonable you might want to consider setting it up as a VPP with the limitation "only known facultia" and an additional limitation on learning new ones just so there are more points for the PC to futz about with, but the system itself is cool as all get out.

I'm immortalized on KS's webpage!!

Killer Shrike: Not only have you solved my Metamagick dilemma, you've developed a very expensive (albeit incredibly cool) magic system in and of itself. To make it more resonable you might want to consider setting it up as a VPP with the limitation "only known facultia" and an additional limitation on learning new ones just so there are more points for the PC to futz about with, but the system itself is cool as all get out.

I'm immortalized on KS's webpage!!

What makes you say its very expensive? Don't forget you should add the AP of the NPA's to the AP of the base effect when considering the power level -- so for instance Kallinius Vright can MAXIMIZE five Powers w/ 40 AP each, making each an 80 AP Power. For this he paid 20 total points for the base powers and 16 points for the NPA. That works out to 36 total points spent for five 80 AP Powers. He can also mix and match them with other advantages as it suits him.

Further, he can add new "Facultia" cheap, which immediately snap into that model and reap the benefit of the investment he's made in Facillia. As far as a VPP for the Facultia, there is no way that putting the facultia into a VPP would make it cheaper. Characters pay 1 point per 10 AP under the FAM model; no VPP can even approach that. Secondly, NPA's dont mix well with Frameworks -- by default its not even legal. Thirdly, and this is important, the limiting factor for how many different Facultia a character can have active at the same time is limited only by the number of Facillia they can assign to seperate Facultia and the amount of END it costs -- in other words a character could be flying, w/ a force field up, running other sundry powers, and even make MPA's with multiple attack powers if they a) can assign a seperate Facillia to each base effect and B) can pay the END cost for that.

I could go on w/ examples, but I dont have time to go into it right now. The main point is that I think the cost to effect ratio is pretty agressive with this system. These guys can throw around a lot of big effects, they are very flexible, and can add new base effects on the cheap. Rather than having a collection of semi-redundant highly static effects, they instead have a smaller collection of very flexible effects. The system also scales well; the four sample characters show that the system is mixable w/ other professions (Seaful Kort), and is good across experience ranges (Kallinius, then Thia, then Shapup).

The system also has an interesting fluxion effect. The more AP a character has in their Spells, the more expensive the Facillia have to be to support them. So, a character could have a lot of weaker effects, or fewer strong effects. Also, because in this Magic System it is most efficient to have multiple base effects that a NPA can be applied to, it leads to some interesting design decisions; i.e. a character will often be encouraged to take certain Famillia to justify an expensive Facillia, and on the other hand some Facillia will be too esoteric / narrow to justify since they don't apply to enough base powers. Taken as a whole this makes for a synergy-conscious Magic System where the decision making process of adding new abilities is affected by previous decisions made on other abilities.

.....a character will often be encouraged to take certain Famillia to justify an expensive Facillia...

Hmm... that was supposed to be Facultia, but Famillia sounds better than Facultia and jives with Facillia better. I might rename Facultia to Famillia -- my only concern is that it might prove to be confusing....thoughts?

Also, anyone have a better name than Metruvius for this magic system? Preferrably one I havent already used for something else?

Thanks. Still thinking, then, if you rejected that one. Conjunctive Magic sounds like grammar, but it's applicable.

Codilix or Codicilary, Codicilirium. "Codicil" being an Appendix or codex of law; a set of rules applied apriori would be a neat thesaurus inspired term.

Well, I came up with Metruvius as a working name for the following reasons:

Met- from META

truvius from both Vitruvius, famous for the "divine proportion" and De Architectura (best known from DaVinci's Vitruvian man), and also from the words vesuvian (a slow burning match) and vesuviate (to burst from heat).

The rationale being that this Magic System has a hidden proportionality stemming from the relationship between the base effects and the size / cost of the NPAs, and also the system is a little slow to get going early on, but eventually reaches a boiling point and explodes with functionality.

Kind of summed up the focus of the system for me. However, it doesnt exactly roll off the tongue or sound like a kind of Magic, so Im open to more traditional / intuitive naming.