Building "biotech" powers - suggestions?

I'm a relatively experienced GM who is fairly new to HERO. I'm building a cyberpunk-genre game in which characters will be able to purchase biotech to augment their bodies and minds, and I need some help with this "reasoning from effect" idea.

Here's a simple example: let's say Hitman wants to buy the MilTech Mk III "WetWorks" package. The dealer promises that it will turn him into a close-quarters killing machine. Suppose this means claws, martial killing attacks, maybe improved DEX and/or lightning reflexes. The question: would you build this with a power framework? If so, what kind?

A more complicated example: let's suppose Hitman next buys a four-slot expansion bay for his brain. Into the first slot he places an inexpensive foreign language comprehension card. Into the second goes a searchable Encyclopedia Brittanica. Into the third goes a Matrix-style "I know Kung Fu" card. Now, is it necessary to build the expansion bay itself, or just the "cards"? Suppose I want the character who indulges in too many of these implants to gain an increased chance of nervous/mental breakdown?

I know that's a lot of ground to cover. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Ben

If you don't mind spending some money, you should purchase Mike Surbrook's Kazei 5 e-book (found in the Online Store). It provides a comprehensive HERO (4th ed.) treatment of cybernetic enhancements.

With regard to your questions,

(1) Characters in Kazei 5 do not have their cybernetic enhancements placed in Power Frameworks.

(2) Your complicated example would probably be handled with a "Skilljack", which is a VPP for skills.

(3) Kazei 5 discusses the drawbacks and limitations associated with cybernetics, but I can't recall if your particular drawback (too many cards = emotional deterioration) is explicitly addressed.

Re: Building "biotech" powers - suggestions?

Originally posted by BenKimball

Here's a simple example: let's say Hitman wants to buy the MilTech Mk III "WetWorks" package. The dealer promises that it will turn him into a close-quarters killing machine. Suppose this means claws, martial killing attacks, maybe improved DEX and/or lightning reflexes. The question: would you build this with a power framework? If so, what kind?

The best kind of Power Framework for this sort of ability is an Elemental Control. The problem with using an EC for this however, is that many modifications will be quite minor in cost, and EC's have a minimum cost for the powers placed in each slot...and the EC itself has to be somewhat significant to get a decent cost break.

A more complicated example: let's suppose Hitman next buys a four-slot expansion bay for his brain. Into the first slot he places an inexpensive foreign language comprehension card. Into the second goes a searchable Encyclopedia Brittanica. Into the third goes a Matrix-style "I know Kung Fu" card. Now, is it necessary to build the expansion bay itself, or just the "cards"? Suppose I want the character who indulges in too many of these implants to gain an increased chance of nervous/mental breakdown?

Ben

There are a couple of ways to do this.

First, I've seen this written up as a Computer (use the computer rules in the 5E) and the Computer can run a number of "slots" based on its INT/5 (a 25 INT computer can run 5 programs at once, etc)

The best way to write this up would be as a Multipower however. This would be an exception to the rule that Skills don't go into Power Frameworks, but when it comes to simulating a specific genre, its fine to ignore the little niggling detailes like that.

As far as "Cyber Implant Rejection" goes, that has been covered before in the old Cyber Hero game that was released for the 4th edition some years ago. It was simulated via a Side Effect, the active points of which were based on the total active points of all the characters cyber-implants divided by 10. Those were then converted into Active points of Mind Control that turned the character into an unfeeling machine and eventually psychotic if the roll was bad enough.

The way I handle it (I use that method myself for my Star Hero game) is that I have the player roll for the character when they start a game session (or the character begins their day or whatever) and that determines their "mood". During times of stress (combat, girlfriend breaks it off with them, gets fired from thier job or whatever) they get hit with the Mind Control again. Breakout rolls work as normal, and this is what allows a PC to "function" even if they are running with 100+ active points worth of Cybernetics.

Hope that helps.