Tactical Principals

Killer Shrike

Re: Tactical Principals

I don't have 5E in front of me, but mechanics-wise, having neither target take damage seems like the fairest way to rule it.

As far as the lack of damage from velocity goes, you could rationalize that depending on SFX, genre and circumstances.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tactical Principals

I don't have 5E in front of me, but mechanics-wise, having neither target take damage seems like the fairest way to rule it.

As far as the lack of damage from velocity goes, you could rationalize that depending on SFX, genre and circumstances.

I would agree. The mechanics of a block negate it doing damage as a base result. Also, blocks have (since first edition) been anything from "just taking the short" in a tough guy sort of way to "stepping to the side and brushing the attack past you" in the soft form martial arts way. The latter is highly effective against moving attacks.

Adding in the fact that a moving attack keeps moving after being blocked THEN you could add in "does attacker hit the ground or another object and take damage" as a second but separate step to determine, but in my mind, the block itself doesn't do damage or reverse damage.