FH Magic System

atlascott

I have decided to go with a VPP for my FH game as a magic system. I'd like to outline it here and get some feedback, since this is the first time I am tryint to run a full-fledged FH campaign.

I wanted a system with a limite repetiore of spells memorized, requing at least 6 hours sleep and 1 hour of spellbook study to case spells. I want spellcasters to flexible, but have to prepare a list of 'readied' spells, so as to avoid a fireball-machine. I am using a VPP with a bunch of limitations on the control cost (only spells in spellbook, only memorized spells, requires skill roll from appropriate school of magic, each spell is one recoverable charge, must rest and study to memorize new spells). The wiz then needs to buy a power skill for each of the magic schools from which he wishes to cast (relying on the categories in FHGI). Negative tot he spell roll based on 10 active pts=-1, character uses personal END (not to power, but to control the magical energies).

The VPP the guy is working with is a 30 pt VPP, and characters are built on 125 (50 plus 75 disadvantages). I am worried that the guy will not have enough spell variety with 30 points. That's not alot of spells per day, since even the low-powered ones are 7 or 8 pts. Even assuming a best-case performance at every scenario and 5 pts per, it is expensive to expand a VPP, what with the pool and control cost, and it is not going to leave this cat very much XP to tweak the character elsewhere.

I was considering instituting a "level' system, where character level= xp/5, and then allow the wiz more active points automatically--but that isnt right--it goes against the whole point of a vpp. Can I just give him an additional lim on the spells and reduce their cost further, based on the above-stated magic system lims?

Suggestions? Advice? Problems on the horizon I am not seeing?