Alternative Presence/Mind Control rules.

Ndreare

Alternative Presence/Mind Control rules.

This topic applies to all contested characteristic rolls and not just PRE but that is what I am using to play test it.

I have been playing with the idea of making pre rolls a contested effect of dice against dice counting number of body over the looser and using the existing table for effects but dividing by 5. This has had the effect of making a 30 presence truly impressive instead of slightly inclining. It also helps maintain the attribute exponential ratio I prefer.

Have any of you played with other rules variations fro presence or other contested Stat rolls?

The following is an example. (I also allow a increase in Pre attacks based on situations like those in the book.)

“Chill†is telling “Louie the Rat†if he doesn’t pipe up he will have this pipe up in about five seconds… (While holding a large pipe in front of his captive)

Chill has a PRE 15 (3D), a Reputation for crossing the line +1D and is in a position of power +1D = 5D Rolls and gets 6, 4, 6, 3, & 1= 6 “BODYâ€

Louie the Rat has a PRE of 10 (2D) and nothing else = 2D Rolls and gets a 5 & 2 = 2 “BODYâ€

Chill beet Louie by 4 “BODY†looking on the chart Louie tells thing he would have rather lied about or never said. If we used the normal system he would have made it by only 10 over his PRE and Louie would have said things he would not have minded telling.

I think the alternative system more accurately represents how things should go down.

So what do you think?

I think one thing you need to take into account here is that the bonus dice are based on the system as written. If you are going to adjust the system to make it more effective, you might want to make an adjustment to the modifying dice as well, or else you risk going too far and making Presence TOO powerful. I think a good rule of thumb would be to cut any modifier in half, especially given the large number of modifiers that can be applied to just about any given situation. This will still allow for a wide range of effects, while not making anyone with 20 Presence able to terrify the average Joe.

Just my opinion,

Steve