Sleeper

lapsedgamer

Has anyone else read the Sleeper series by Ed Brunbaker? I think it would make a great campaign. It would be a sort of Iron Age Champions/Dark Champions. Basically, the stories take place in the dark underbelly of the Wildstorm universe. You have characters crossing over form W.I.L.D.C.A.T.S and Team 7, but they don't usually have a direct role in events.

The "hero" is a guy under deep cover as a supervillian in a VIPER-like organization. The storyline basically involves his internal struggle with the morality of his actions as he commits crimes and acts of terrorism in the interest of the greater good. Most of the supers are low to medium powered. The internal politics of the organization, and the suspense factor are well done. The tone is very dark, but the characters make the whole exercise enjoyable.

I strongly recommend the whole series, as well as alomost anything that Brubaker does.

Re: Sleeper

Yes. I loved this comic. I'm sad its over. I think I started a thread about it on the NGD a while back. The setting would make for an excellent higher powered Dark Champions game. I adopting elements of the story into my Aberrant Hero game. I especially liked.

On another note, any ideas on how to build the main characters power?

This sounds really good. I haven't been getting comics since Global Frequency ended, but I might have to look this one up.

How many issues did it run for? And has it been collected into a Trade yet?

It was colleceted in four or so trades from Wildstorm. They are still in print and well worth the read. Amazon carries them all, but I found mine through a local dealer. I also have had some luck with Comicsnow.com. They are a vendor on the "new/used" portion of the Amazon site. They usually have really good prices.

Here is the first volume:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401201156/sr=8-3/qid=1141241211/ref=pd_bbs_3/103-5796265-6255845?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Yes. I loved this comic. I'm sad its over. I think I started a thread about it on the NGD a while back. The setting would make for an excellent higher powered Dark Champions game. I adopting elements of the story into my Aberrant Hero game. I especially liked.

On another note, any ideas on how to build the main characters power?

I'm just spitballing, but he has a lot of Regeneration and about 75% resistant, hardened PD/ED damage reduction. He also has a no range EB (probably about 12D6-15D6) with 2XSTUN with an Endurance Battery that starts at 0END. There is an AID to Endurance only for the EB based on the damage he took before defenses were applied. That's a hard build, but I think it would be accurate.

If I remember correctly he had no real defenses, it was just that he could not feel pain, healed rapidly, and stored the pain he did not feel to share with others. I though about NND for the EB, but people have been shown to withstand his touch, so I think it's just based on the recipient's relative toughness.

You might need to add some Armor just to take game mechanics into account, with the SFX being that he really is taking the damage, he just ignores or regenerates it.