Building a collapsing/recharging force field.

Re: Building a collapsing/recharging force field.

To model this mechanic the way you'd like to, I think we're going to have to start making stuff up.

How about a type of ablative where each time the Force Fields defense is exceeded, it loses one point of defense. Then, to make autofire weapons threatening to big force fields, say that you add +1 point of damage per additional shot, only to breach the field.

Hrm - okay Hugh, can you give me a solid defense why we'd use that version over the one I drafted? Mine is cheaper and generally clear. Believe it: We originally built this as a whacked out Entangle and twisted Entangle (sorry) into new shapes it wasn't prepared to handle. Clearly we weren't the only ones with this line of reasoning, but it's PROHIBITIVELY expensive.

My version is cheaper, cleaner, on SER and never fails, nor does it need any handwaves. I say that because we (the designers) are free to much with Major Transform (air to X) as much as we like.

Thoughts?

Hrm - okay Hugh, can you give me a solid defense why we'd use that version over the one I drafted? Mine is cheaper and generally clear. Believe it: We originally built this as a whacked out Entangle and twisted Entangle (sorry) into new shapes it wasn't prepared to handle. Clearly we weren't the only ones with this line of reasoning, but it's PROHIBITIVELY expensive.

My version is cheaper, cleaner, on SER and never fails, nor does it need any handwaves. I say that because we (the designers) are free to much with Major Transform (air to X) as much as we like.

I don't see where it's a lot more expensive than your 48 point Transform.

The simple reason I'd consider the Entangle route? If I can buy

8d6 SER Major Transform (Surrounding Particles into Force Field' date=' BODY 15, DEF 3)[/quote']

Why can't I buy

8d6 SER Major Transform (Surrounding Particles into Force Field' date=' BODY 150, DEF 30 [/quote']

In other words, what logic sets the DEF and BOD of the field created by the Transform, and how do you vary the cost to account for higher or lower fields (not at Marty's level, of course, but perhaps 12 BOD, or 5 DEF)?

In other words' date=' what logic sets the DEF and BOD of the field created by the Transform, and how do you vary the cost to account for higher or lower fields (not at Marty's level, of course, but perhaps 12 BOD, or 5 DEF)?[/quote']

I think there are mechanics defined under Transform for how many points you can add. Keep in mind that you also have to technically roll over the target's doubled Body to start adding abilities. So while the Transform could be defined as adding a much larger ability, it will certainly take a lot longer to come into effect. On this kind of ability it might also be reasonable to require the Transform to take the All or Nothing Limitation, which means whatever you roll in one application is all you get (it's not cumulative); this restriction does mean you actually have to buy a more powerful Transform to get a more powerful effect (rather than just having to take more Phases).

EDIT: It doesn't look like the build in question did include All or Nothing, but it's an idea.