Fourth Age Revisited

Savinien

Hey all. I thought I would let you know that I started up another campaign in my Fourth Age of Middle Earth campaign. This time around it is online at Hero Central. We're all the way through character generation and I've got a mixed bag. I'm setting it concurrent with my other campaign and starting it in Osgiliath, too!

Taqwa ibn Naufal - An estranged son of Umbar transposed to living in Umbar to help with his father's shipping interests. He came to Gondor young enough to become enamored of Osgiliath and its people.

Paladin 'Entfriend' Took III - Distant grandchild of Peregrine Took, Paladin has tagged along with the Shire's Delegation to the King. He's only just arrived in Osgiliath and is sent on a merry (pun intended) trip for Southron tobacco.

Osgari - An Asdriag Clansmen and sell sword. He'd travelled with a caravan as a body guard from his homeland to Osgiliath. Upon arrival, he learned ther was no returning caravan planned.

Three transients to Osgiliath. It was probable to come up with a thread to get these wayward fellows together and stay that way long enough to run a story arc, let alone a campaign. I came up with an idea and we'll see how it works out.

• 1 month later...

Re: Fourth Age Revisited

We're going on a month and a half and posting is reasonable. The halfling has proven 'difficult' to involve in the plot, but we're finally getting around to it.

Taqwa and Osgari on the other hand find themselves slipping into treacherous waters. A new Darklord is nudging Umbarran insurgents to rebellion and a Seeker of Herumor has escaped into the streets of Osgiliath.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

I stumbled across a thread that you might enjoy. It deals with 4th age threats.

Here you go

Thanks. Don't tell anyone but this fairly closely resembles what we're working towards in my campaign (unbeknownst to my players).

In a nutshell, Aelinduur is a Rising Darkness in this Fourth Age, the Age of Men. Also amongst the protagonists is the Haradrim Demon (a Balrog), Herumor (Dark Lord).

I'm working towards a political thriller sort of feel. The Sons of Denethor have been tempted by the Shadow and work towards proving Aragorn's claim (and his decendents) as false and reinstating a Steward, "Gondor needs no King". Powerful members of this group also work towards dark goals hoping to bring 'power' back to the hands of men through the Dark Arts and chilling occult.

The PCs in this campaign fight against the Dark powers of Herumor, a Dark Lord in Umber. Herumor is fanning the flames of Corsair angst against the 'tyranny' of Gondorian rule. This anger goes back to the Kinstrife and has been the heartbeat of Temptation for Sauron many times past.

If only I had more time... Game has been on hiatus for a week or so now.

• 2 weeks later...

my PCs have investigated the 'fleet' of the Swordfish, hoping to stave off any conflict between his Men and Osgiliath Watch once the prior learns the fate of their Captain(s). While visiting the Quay, they learn that the Seeker's ship only joined the other two at the mouth of the Anduin and they keep themselves and their battle scarred ship separate from the other vessels.

This has lead them to believe that the Swordfish may be a helpless pawn in Herumor's plots. The need to meet with the Swordfish and learn more has been emphasized, but how?

• 1 month later...

The trip to the administration beuracracy within the Abad Minalcar was relatively uneventful. They did decide to take a roundabout course to ask for help from Paladin's people. The hobbit was attached to the King's Hobbit Guard delegation. It is the changing of said guard and the hobbits are taking the evening to rejoice the changing of the guard. Our heroes interrupt and ask the commanding officer to help them get in to see the Swordfish. He relents and joins them.

I'm trying to create a 'political thriller' as much as anything else and this seems to work well with that mood. The Hobbits are actually part of the King's Guard as opposed to the Prince's (the Osgiliath Watch are under the direct purview of the Prince). As, I'm creating National tension between Umbar and Gondor, I thought it might be fun to get a closer look at beauracracy within Gondor itself.

So, the Hobbit Captain gets our heroes past the first beaurocrat and up to the Tower, where political prisoners are kept. There, they run into a surly Head Gaoler that isn't beyond a bribe. This sends one of the players into a tailspin, thinking, 'No Gondorian Officer would stoop to accepting bribes'. In my opinion, that isn't the case. The kinstrife is a fine example as well as Denethor.

Anyway, it's been an interesting experiment in Tolkein and Fantasy Hero.

• 3 weeks later...

Urged to foil the plots of the treacherous Seeker (Akheem), Taqwa and Osgari plan a distraction for the hobbit to get aboard Akheem's ship, the Razor. Thus far the plot seems to be working as Paladin has gained access to the Captain's quarters and no one is dead, yet.

HELP! I'm having trouble deciding exactly what Akheem's goals are in Osgiliath. I know he's trying to gain allies to the cause of Herumor. He wants to create some Anti-Gondorian Sentiment which would eventually lead to a new kinstrife. The tactics are two-fold. From one direction, Gondorian nobility BEFORE Aragorn returned (Denethor's line) have been working towards rebellion.

If Akheem can find allies to his cause that would be good. Or, is there someone in particular he can assassinate? What?

Once we figure out his plans, I can decide what the player characters find which help them follow Akheem's trail.

Any ideas are welcome! (Even if they're Chad's)

• 3 weeks later...

HELP! I'm having trouble deciding exactly what Akheem's goals are in Osgiliath. I know he's trying to gain allies to the cause of Herumor. He wants to create some Anti-Gondorian Sentiment which would eventually lead to a new kinstrife. The tactics are two-fold. From one direction, Gondorian nobility BEFORE Aragorn returned (Denethor's line) have been working towards rebellion.

If Akheem can find allies to his cause that would be good. Or, is there someone in particular he can assassinate? What?

Once we figure out his plans, I can decide what the player characters find which help them follow Akheem's trail.

Any ideas are welcome! (Even if they're Chad's)

This has been taken care of. I thank Hero-dom for the help.

:rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

This game has been opened up a bit on Hero Central. I added a co-GM (Mastermind) and two players. One is a suspicious Daleman that followed a lead all the way to Osgiliath. He is Baldr son of Brego and has landed in the Ghetto, already finding trouble with some 'ambitious' men of the Watch.

Also joining is the character Mortilmir from my folded ftf game. We took him back a bit in the existing storyline. The same 'plot' exists, but he has the option of changing his mind.

While Paladin explored the Seeker's cabin on the Razor, a green flame momentarily lit the western sky. Not long after, the Razor's crew returned and set sail from Lumbar Quay headed south down the Anduin, with the hobbit still aboard!

It took some time for Taqwa and Osgari to realize their compatriots plight, but immediately sought the aid of his Wee kinsmen. Their ranks bolstered with the former Hobbit Guard. Taqwa and Osgari convinced Issa of the Swordfish's fleet to allow them to use one of the Swordfish's remaining ship.

After some diligent assistance, Issa relented and handed over the Burden, keeping the Toil for himself in case the Swordfish and his Captian were released. Now, with nearly a doezn men the Burden heads down the Anduin a half day behind their quarry.

At this point, the Burden has found the Razor in a hidden quay along the Anduin. It is pitch black and they haven't decided what they'll do yet, uncertain if it's the Razor and how to approach the ship and save Paladin.

• 1 month later...

Taqwa ibn Naufal took it upon himself to do some recon. Stripping himself of arms and armor, the Merchant lowered himself into the frigid waters of the Cove and swam surreptiously past the other cutter and towards the shore. There, he found himself privvy to private conversation. It consisted of three individuals, one later turning out to be a Warg! All had thought them cleansed during the War of the Ring or later ridings of the White Lady's Army!

The eavesdropper had been found out though, and he dove beneath the placid waters of the Cove towards the Burden's last position. Meriadoc though, heard the exclamation from shore and got the crew to get the Burden moving towards the other Cutter. The skeleton crew porves to be just not enough though and the Burden crashes into the Razor throwing man and hobbit alike around like ragdolls.

Fighting commences between the two crews, Paladin eventually reaching the deck of the Razor just as Taqwa does by climbing the later's anchor chain.

BIG FIGHT!

• 2 months later...

Update

The battle between Razor and Burden has finally culminated. Taqwa, Paladin, and Osgari all survived, even though the Warg, his handler, and the acting Captian of the Razor joined the melee. All the opposition was killed, but only a few of the Burden's 'crew' has survived the confronation; Adgee, Merry, one Umbarran, and two hobbits.

The burden smashed into the cliffwall as it edged past the Razor, not enough crew were left on board able to shift its misdirected course. So, both ships are sinking.

Also, an Ithilien Ranger, Kreigenwald has tracked a group of Garnor Pyltrow men across the Emyn Arnen to this Cove. The Pyltrow men ambushed Private Endor and Lt. Mortilmir during a faux hunting trip. Endor was left for dead and Mortilmir was brought to trade with the Corsairs for the Warg. The Sons of Denethor had hoped to use the beast to create propaganda against the rule of Ellasar II.

Unbeknownst to them, though. Their quarry (ordered by his superior, a member of the SoD), had ignored the order and sent his lessor cousin on the mission to (babysit some dwarf) instead. So, even though the Paltrow men of Garnor Pyltrow knew Mortilmir was not the rightful heir to the Stewardship, they hoped to dupe the Seekers Agents and get what they wanted anyway.

At this point, Kreigenwald has ambushed the would-be ambushers that were unaware of his presence. The group still on board the ships are unaware of neither the Paltrow Men (whom had planned to ambush/interrogate whoever survived the encounter) nor the Ranger.

Since my previous update, the player of Mortilmir left the game and the character became an NPC (that was almost immediately captured). I took on another player (the aforementioned Kreigenwald) and two other players joined under Mastermind's artful guidance:

Keledon of the Rohirrim

Kairi, Osgiliath street urchin

Baldr's story has revved up and it's a doozy. The suspicious Dalesman has stumbled upon intrigue upon intrigue and made a few allies amonst the oft corrupted Watch in one of Osgiliaths Ghetto and recently become acquainted with a helpful street kid (Kairi).

Keledon was driving a herd of horses across the Eastfold towards Osgiliath with his Uncle when they happened upon a Dunlending attack against the Wose of Grey Wood. What would a group of Hillmen be doing this far East, and what vile purpose would they have against the Druadan?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Update!

The combat is over! Six months later, the players have prevailed.

Mortilmir's player has returned just in time to be saved and the game is now truly afoot. There are alot of corpses, two sinking ships, and a bloody mess to unravel. I'm extremely curious to see what the characters decide to do and what comes of information exchange.