For James and Steve

Citizen Keen

This post is mostly for Steven Long and James Cambias. It's really just the rant of someone who just switched from being a New Convert to Born Again HERO Gamer. I just want to shout Halleleuah (sp.) where I know the Creator can hear me.

Yesterday, I went down to Bridgetown Hobbies in Portland, OR on the recommendation of Cosmic Man. I walked in to buy Star Hero.

When I arrived at the shelf section for HERO, I felt like I had been betrayed. I had switched to HERO because I only needed one book to play. And yet, there in front of me were a dozen supplements to the rules - what trickery was this? Ninja HERO, TUV, UNTIL SPDb, Champions Universe, Millenium City, and more. Angry, I grabbed the stupid Star HERO (only because I had ordered it and would have felt guilty ordering a book and not buying it), and stormed out of the store. I walked home, a bitter and disillusioned man.

Boy, was I mistaken.

I got home, and dropped Star HERO onto my my pile of "To Read books". I didn't touch it for a while, because I felt like I had been gypped. Last night, I couldn't find my copy of "A Canticle for Leibowitz", so I grabbed Star HERO and began to read disinterestedly.

Let me tell you, that didn't last long.

I just got done with the Argos Exploration. My back hurts because all I've done for the last twenty four hours is read that book and jot down ideas - I haven't moved. I was thoroughly impressed. While this may not surprise most experienced HERO gamers, it did surprise me.

I had never read a book like Star HERO. I realized it was because I was always so busy buying Rules Supplements that I never had the money to pick up a book that was filled with ideas and sample equipment and sample NPCs. I loved the book - it was worth my $30 easily.

In hindsight, what I love the most was the way the HERO shelves look. The covers on the books are so tantalizing - the art of Star HERO especially. It really conveys the genre in a way I wasn't prepared for. and the layout inside the books - very well done. Flipping through the HERO books, I have to say DOJ makes some of the sexiest RPG books I've ever seen. Normally, I don't buy "new spell supplements", but that USPD looks very seductive.

Reading Star HERO and realizing there was nothing there that wasn't, for all intents and purposes, covered in FRed, was an amazing discovery. I felt so relieved. I'm now considering that whole Legions thing - I am completely sold on the concept.

Thank you very much, Mr. Long and Mr. Cambias - you've restored my faith in your company.

Sincerely,

Parker Emerson (cK)

P.S. The Towel write-up was hilarious.

Thanx for the kind words!

As you say, part of the attraction of the HERO System is that you only really need the one book to play. That remains true, but the other books often provide good ideas, examples, or other help. So, I hope you'll take a look at the others when you get the chance and see if any of 'em would be helpful for you.