Thoughts on the Secret Service questions

Mark Rand

Re: Thoughts on the Secret Service questions

Hmm. So, is Kelsey going to have a cover position or just try to blend in with the carnies?

This reminds me, you totally have to have the Circus of Crime show up. Maybe work in a reference to the Quentin Carnival that Johnny (Ghost Rider) Blaze worked at.

I'm thinking that, as far as the public knows, she's part of the prop crew. In some circuses, performers give tips to good members of the prop crew so that they'll always work with them.

Of course, while the public won't know that she's a Secret Service agent, a lot of the circus employees will.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question #1: The heck she doesn't. I disagree that a protectee having a say in how they are protected "is a device of television". Since the Secret Service does not discuss publically their methods and policies for protection, neither myself nor Thia have any idea what they really do, but you can bet your last nickel that a person, even the President's daughter, who strenously objected to the Service's interference, would quickly take the issue to court to get left alone.

I think that a protectee has the right to tell the Secret Service where they are going and what they are doing. What they don't have the right to do is tell the Secret Service how they'll be protected. Meaning, if the President's daughter wanted to take a trip to Sunnydale and encounter the Hellmouth, then the Secret Service would arrive early, clear out the entire populace, put her in a tank, and drive her there. They'll do what she wants, but they'll do whatever is necessary to protect her along the way, no matter how extreme that becomes.

"Fair enough," Kelsey said, looking around. She noted a shopping center on one side of the lot and motel with a coffee shop on the other.

"I have some stuff for you in my motorhome," Cowgirl said. "You can leave your luggage in it until Holly comes."

"I accept," Kelsey said. After getting a show-owned walkie-talkie and an information packet, she got a chance to examine the two old toy cap guns that Cowgirl kept in her motorhome. "These are sweet," Kelsey said, stowing them.

"I know," Cowgirl said. "When I was little, I dressed up as a cowgirl as much as I could. That was even my Halloween costume of choice. In high school, our mascot was the mustang. For homecoming week, Western clothes were required. Gloves, masks, and toy weapons were encouraged."

"Oh, yeah," Kelsey said with a grin. "In high school, we were the cowboys. The girls, not wanting to be referred to as the girl cowboys, called themselves the cowgirls. Western garb was required for homecoming week and on the days of football and basketball games. Gloves, masks, and toy weapons were permitted. Only the cheerleaders were exempt from wearing Western clothes."

"Were you ever masked?" Cowgirl asked with a grin.

"Always," Kelsey laughed. "Trust me, a bandana makes a great mask."

"I hear you," Cowgirl said. "I was always masked, too. Most of the time, I wore both a Zorro-style half mask and a bandana mask."

"Cool," Kelsey said. "That way, you could stay masked while eating."

"Yeah," Cowgirl said.

"I'd better show you around," Cowgirl said

"Good point," Kelsey said.

They spent 20 minutes walking the lot, with Cowgirl explaining wht went where and what the wooden surveyer's stakes she'd set referred to. "Any questions?" she asked when she was done.

"No," Kelsey replied, as the spool truck, which carried the big top, rolled in and was parked in a staging area. The office truck followed. A woman climbed out of the cab. Like Cowgirl, she wore Western clothes. Some of the crowd laughed at her when she picked up a sledge hammer and metal stake. They weren't laughed after she drove it in with two quick blows and looked the ground wire up.

"Becky's a skilled driver," Cowgirl said.

"So I see," Kelsey said as more trucks rolled in. Two water trucks with attached stakedrivers and towing portable toilets came next. After dropping the trailers off, they staged themselves near the spool truck.

The elephant, veterinary, and pie car semis and the nurse's motorhome quickly followed. Behind them was the generator semi as well as the pole truck, a seat wagon that also carried the tent poles, pulleys, and sidewall. Kelsey heard the trumpet of an elephant, then, as the truck was unloaded, the pounding of the stakedrivers.

More trucks arrived, including Holly's. After Holly had parked, Cowgirl brought Kelsey over and made the introductions. "Fine," Holly said once Cowgirl had left. "The bunk over the cab's yours. Once you're settled, I'll get my gear, check it, and get ready to set it up."

"Where is it set up?" Kelsey asked.

"The big top, of course," Holly replied.

"Makes sense," Kelsey said.

"Change of plans, Holly," a man said. "Since we have a school field trip coming today, Dan's decided to hold the tent raising until 9 am."

"Thanks, Gary," Holly said just before two big cats snarled.

"Tracy, Angie, try and stay calm," a black-haired woman said. "We're getting your breakfast ready.

"Diana and her cats are amazing," Holly stated. "Angie is a Bengal tiger while Tracy, her half-sister, is a liger."

"A what?" Kelsey asked as they walked past the menagerie.

"Cross of a male lion and a female tiger," Holly explained. "King, our male lion, got frisky two years ago when Lois, our lioness, and our tigers, Princess and Angie, all went into heat. He got all three pregnant in two hours."

"Impressive," Kelsey said.

"Yeah," Holly said. "Princess, Angie's mom, leads our small pride. She will, however, follow olders from either Diana, or Rumiko, our vet." She then turned and pointed to a black leopard on their right. "That's Ebony. Rumiko brought her here when the zoo she'd been working at went bankrupt. Rumiko raised Ebony from a baby after some drunk with a rifle killed her mother. Believe it or not, Ebony thinks Rumiko's her mother."

"I believe it," Kelsey said as they continued walking. Finally they went to the pie car where Holly introduced Kelsey to everyone.

I removed the information about the circus last night because I had planned to end this thread. It has since been restored.

Now, the Ross Brothers Circus is a small, family-owned circus with a sideshow, made up of show performers, and a live band. Aside from the performers, there are two kinds of people there, those who stay only for a while and those that are there for the long haul.

The nurse's vehicle has varied over various threads. It's usually been either an International Harvester school bus or a motor home. What Cat's function is helps us understand it. All the law requires is that the circus employ someone skilled in advanced first aid.

It has been traditional, in some shows, to have someone, usually a practical nurse, who only handles first aid and outfit a motorhome or small school bus for them.

Cat's 22 foot motorhome was once used by Mary "Cowgirl" West, the 24-hour advance agent. All they did was add extra lighting to it and put the plastic bin holding the first aid supplies inside. They didn't know until two weeks before she and her family arrived that Cat was a nurse practitioner. Fortunately, Cat brought stuff she suspected that she'd need with her.

Before we continue with our story, I'll introduce you to the Ross family, who owns the circus and their relatives.

David Michael Ross, a middle-aged man, is president and producer. His wife, Irene, is executive vice-president and the production coordinator. Eldest brother James is vice-president and general manager. His wife, Jill, who is African-American is the secretary-treasurer and front door manager.

Barbara, the middle of the three Ross kids is the office manager. Her husband, Gary, is the general superintendent. Edward, the youngest, is the ringmaster, performance director, and sideshow announcer. His wife, Ann, assists Barbara in the office.

The Campbell clan are Jill's relatives. She told the Rosses that Janice and her two sons were all graduates of the Culinary Institute of America, that Catherine, who everyone calls Cat, was a nurse, and that Ken was a mechanic. She also told the Ross family that the Campbells had been laid off. The show hired them, then, citing new federal regulations, requested copies of diplomas and licenses.

Bandmaster Matt Reese, who plays the trumpet and has a masters in electronics engineering, is one of Gary's cousins. One year after joining the show, he married Rebecca "Becky" West, a showgirl who also sold tickets in the morning. Becky continues to do these, as well as selling programs before the show, helping Matt take down the sound system, and driving the office semi. Like her elder sister, Mary "Cowgirl" West, the show's 24-hour advance agent, Becky likes to wear Western wear.

I had gotten partway through posting this at work today when the computer had a fit. At least the one at home works. Some of this stuff has been posted before, but I wanted to get it all in one place.

In a circus, cookhouse has several meanings. When someone tells you what your pay will be, they tell you the amount per week, then add "...plus cookhouse." In this case, it's cookhouse privilages, or room and board.

Cookhouse can also mean the cookhouse truck, where the show employees eat, or the cookhouse crew, group, or team. These are the people Janice Campbell bosses. Once there was but one semi, the cooktruck. The cookhouse was on one side and the pie car, where you could order what you wanted, and pay for it. That was also where you left your mail for pickup, came to get your mail or first aid, and where the workers were paid.

After the cookhouse tractor broke down several times, it was decided to have separate trucks for the cookhouse and pie car. The first aid, mail services and payroll were transferred to the pie car. Later still, when circuses began hiring nurses, the first aid department was moved to its own vehicle. In some circuses, each was it's own operation. In others, like the Ross Brothers Circus, the cookhouse manager is in charge of all three.

Next, more info about the Campbell and Reese families as well as the smith family.

The Campbell family. Ken is the mechanical foreman and drives the shop truck. Most evenings, he works in the pie car. Janice is the cookhouse manager and drives the pie car. On the lot, she's usually in the pie car, but moves around as needed. Brothers James and Dave Campbell cook. Usually, one's in the pie car while the other's in the cookhouse. James rides shotgun in the cookhouse. James's wife, Sarah, is the cookhouse buyer.

Dave's wife, Michelle, is the parts buyer and works in the pie car in the evenings. Dan, the youngest brother, and his wife, Sue, are the cookhouse roustabouts. Dan drives the cookhouse while Sue rides shotgun in the pie car. Cat looks out for everyone's health.

The Reese family. We've already met Becky. Being an electronics engineer, Matt works in the electrical department while the show is in winter quarters and, on the road, maintains the various public address systems, and sets up the one in the big top. At winter quarters, Mary works in the office and Becky practices.

The Smith/Lopez family. Paul Smith, a former high school auto shop teacher and a drummer. At winter quarters, he is a mechanic. On the road, he's the band's drummer and occasional vocalist and a school teacher. Fran, Ann Ross's fifth cousin, is a skilled seamstress and the band's organist and principal vocalist. Susan Smith Lopez, their legally-blind daughter is the show's wardrobe mistress. (While Susan's visual acuity is 20/40 corrected to 20/20, her visual field has a diameter of only 12 degrees.) Susan is accompanied by her guide dog, Sugar, a honey-blonde golden retriever who isn't bothered by the show's sights, sounds, and smells.

Susan's husband, Daniel, heads the big top crew. His brother, Paul, is the prop boss. Paul's wife, Cindy, is the concessions manager. Paul Smith drives his family's motorhome, which tows the bandstand. Fran drives Susan and Daniel's motorhome, which tows the wardrobe trailer. Susan and Sugar ride shotgun for Fran. Paul Lopez drives his and Cindy's motorhome while Cindy drives the concessions truck.

Education is important to the circus families. Some parents send their children to school in Durant, where the show is based. These kids get to come to the circus and work on the weekends and school vacations.

Others go to school on the road. Every morning, Paul Smith teaches elementry school in the cookhouse. Other students are either enrolled in cyber charter schools or do their homework by mail. Although Paul's not their teacher, he permits them to use any of the tables his students don't.

Next up, we rejoin Holly and Kelsey.

Holly and Kelsey ordered their breakfasts from Janice and sat down to eat. As they did, Kelsey got a good look at Cat and noted that she wore the same navy flightsuit that many flight nurses preferred. She also spotted Sugar napping by Susan's feet.

Turning, she said, "That's a beautiful dog."

"I know," Susan said. "She's a godsend."

After Holly and Kelsey finished, they continued to hear the sounds of the circus setting up as they entered Cat's motorhome. "Nice place," Kelsey said.

"Thanks," Cat said. "I like it."

"Since I'm an aerialist and a human cannonball, I get weighed and have my hands checked, under a light, twice a day."

"Makes sense," Kelsey said. "What about him?" she asked, pointing to the man at the dinette.

"I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic," he said. "I can check my blood sugar and give myself my own insulin shots where I want to. I like doing it here because Cat has a Sharps container."

"Oh," Kelsey said.

(A/N: Cat's motorhome is a 22 foot class C motorhome, which has a bunk over the driver's seat. The bathroom and clothes closet are in the rear. The galley and dinette are on the driver's side. The door, fridge and sofa are on the passenger side. Cat does most of the first aid work at the galley sink and dinette. Patients that have to rest can do so on the sofa.)

While Cat weighed Holly and checked her hands over, Kelsey looked around.

Suitcases were strapped to the walls of her bunk area and more webbing was in one corner. Looking closer, she noticed the metal eyes that folded out of the walls.

The back of the driver's seat had pockets of maps on it. A white-uniformed teddy bear nurse sat on the console between the front seats and the passenger seat was rotated to make it a convenient chair for Cat. Flares were stored in a pouch on the driver's door while triangles were in a passenger door compartment.

A fire extinguisher and tool bag were on the floor behind the driver's seat and the first aid gear and instruments were on the sofa.

"Yes," Holly said. "My weight's where it should be."

"Let me see your hands," Cat said, pulling down a light that was on a flexable arm. "Looks good," she said after examining them. "See you later." As they left, the diabetic gentleman called out a number and Cat said, "Fine. Give yourself your injection."

As Holly and Kelsey walked to a box truck, people around them were hard at work. Animals were being cared for and electrical cables were being hooked up. The big top was being lashed together and inspected for tears as the sideshow tent was being erected.

"Your first time at a circus?" Holly asked.

"My first time at a tented circus, let alone being allowed backstage," Kelsey replied. "This is a bit overwhelming."

"I know," Holly said. "Right now, we're heading for the truck we keep most of our equipment in. That includes the net for the cannon act, all the juggling props, and the aerial stuff for the single acts."

"Cannon act?" Kelsey asked as a tiger snarled.

"I'm a human cannonball," Holly replied. "We're the few, the proud, the insane."

"Nobody told me that," Kelsey said as they reached the truck and stepped inside. The net and poles, which sat above it, took up most of the truck's right side. On the left, along the bottom, were metal stakes, a sledge hammer, coils of rope, and rigging parts. Above them were juggling equipment, two unicycles, and bags holding aerial equipment.

Holly grabbed one of her bags, opened it, and began checking the pulleys and ropes inside. "We're good to go," she said when she finished.

"Let's go," Kelsey said. As they walked, Holly briefed Kelsey on the program. "Got it," she said when Holly finished.

"Let's go," Holly said as they joined the big top crew, electricians, prop crew, butchers, and performers. They were joined by two elephant workers, with elephants, and Rumiko, the show's vet. Thirty minutes later, the tent was up. Then, the big top crew and the butchers began guying it out while props were being unloaded and rigging set up.

"Looks good," Kelsey said.

"Yeah," Holly said. "Of course, we have more to do."

"What now?"

"The cannon," Holly said with a grin. It took 90 minutes to set it up. First, the cannon was unhooked from its tow vehicle and pushed into its approximate position. After that, the net was positioned and final adjustments were made. When the big top was empty, they test fired it, using a sand-filled bag to represent Holly.

"Oh yeah," Holly said when the sand bag hit the net. "Looks perfect." They crossed the tent, checked the placement, and dropped the bag to the ground. While it was picked up on a hand truck, the net was partially taken down. "This way, the animals can get under it."

"Oh," Kelsey said.

"Flag's up!" someone yelled.

"Lunch," Holly said. As they walked to the cookhouse, she said, "After lunch, I'll visit Cat again, then change for the sideshow. On my way there, I'll drop my costumes and makeup case off at the big top's wardrobe truck."

"Okay," Kelsey said. After lunch, Holly checked her weight on Cat's scale. It was still the same. They returned to Holly and Raul's motorhome. Kelsey waited up front while Holly changed.

"I like the look," Kelsey said.

"I'm wearing a flesh-colored unitard under my costume," Holly admitted.

"I see," Kelsey said. They entered the sideshow as the audio tapes on some of the midway attractions were started, the Moonbounce was being inflated, and the concessions stand began cooking stuff. At the same time, Becky started selling programs and Maria Wildman started the pony ride.

Finally, the sideshow started. Edward Ross was the announcer. Holly handled a 18 foot Bermese python named Sassy. Raul swollowed swords. Holly was the electric girl and Raul, as the fire eater, lit his torchs from her. Elena Vasquez, junior, showed off her tattooed body. Roberto Vasquez performed the blade box, a stage illusion. His wife, Elena Senior, was the woman in the box. The sideshow ended when Jill Ross ordered the gates opened. Wardrobe changes were made and Edward, now the ringmaster, sounded the thirty minute signal.

"Time for the pre-show," Holly said as she and Kelsey, now wearing a black windbreaker over a black turtleneck sweater and jeans, headed for the big top. "The clowns perform in the stands and the band plays good music. This year, it's show tunes."

"Nice," Kelsey said. as they passed the cat truck and waved to Diana and Rumiko, who were carefully looking the cats over. Diana, the trainer, like Holly was in a colorful costume. Rumiko, on the other hand, wore black clothes and a black backpack.

They ducked into the back, or stage, door of the big top and went to the wardrobe area, which was the back of one of the seat trucks. Susan sat on the flap, sharing a tender moment with Sugar. "Susan, I need my makeup case," Holly said.

"No problem," Susan said, grabbing a green tackle box. Then, hearing a noise, she turned and asked, "Want yours, Becky?"

"Please," Becky replied. Susan grabbed a bright yellow one and passed it to her. Both women opened their boxes and touched up their makeup. Becky also placed her glasses in her makeup case.