martial arts question

steph

Re: martial arts question

Well the only martial arts "hold" technique that I know of is the choke hold. And the difference between a choke hold and a grab is that the choke hold lets you do damage that regular physical defense doesn't stop, which isn't dependant on your physical strength, and of course the choke hold doesn't immobilise and of your targets limbs because you are grabbing their throat, not their extremities. The grab and martial grab try to crush a target or twist limbs for damage, not strangle.

no in the martial artist book he have the hold is not a choke hold

and hold for me is define as grab but what i want to know is someone got a interpratation of the two technic

hope i am clear english not my first language

stef

Maybe he is refering to the Bonus STR to hold onto someone?

hmm.. possibly. In which case we are talking about Martial Grab vs Grab and what constitutes holding on.

We'll go with that...

if the Grabbed Character wishes to break free there is a STR vs STR contest to determine if the Grabber holds on, or the Grabbed escapes. The BODY on the STR Dice are counted, the higher BODY Score wins.

Martial Grab provides an additional 10 STR for this purpose: it adds 2 Dice to the Grabbers STR Roll.

ok in the martial artist book :page 61 in wrestling the third technic is a hold and page 39 in kung fu seven technic is a grab but the two one got the same effects just what to know if i miss a difference between the two technics or the difference is just the name....

hope i am clear

english not my first language

steph

Stef, Like GA said, in the UMA Steve renamed the Martial Maneuvers (from the list at the front of the book) to coinside with special effects of each particular martial art. The mechanics aren't actually based on the name, except where specifically indicated, they are based on the OCV/DCV Mods and the "Effect" column. So a "Kick" OCV: +1 DCV: -2 Effect: 4d6 Strike is mechanically the same as the maneuver "Offensive Strike" which has those same defined effects, it's just that the SFX is a Kick.