"Am I Hot?"

"Or am I cold? I can't tell!"

what would happen if a character were unable to sense temperature -- in other words, could not sense either heat or cold. You burn burn him, boil him or freeze him to death and he wouldn't notice.

This is not the same as being impervious to temperature variation. it's still having effects on his body, and he may even notice the effects -- but he won't know why they're happening. If he were to put his hand on a hot burner, he would feel the pain, but not the heat -- so while he would know that burners hurt, he might not undersatand why.

Re: "Am I Hot?"

"Or am I cold? I can't tell!"

what would happen if a character were unable to sense temperature -- in other words, could not sense either heat or cold. You burn burn him, boil him or freeze him to death and he wouldn't notice.

This is not the same as being impervious to temperature variation. it's still having effects on his body, and he may even notice the effects -- but he won't know why they're happening. If he were to put his hand on a hot burner, he would feel the pain, but not the heat -- so while he would know that burners hurt, he might not undersatand why.

It would all depend on the actual effect it had on him.

For example, if Joe Normal with a PD/ED of 2 had this condition, he might easily die, or at least suffer major damage, before he realized what was happening.

On the other hand, if you have the PD/ED/Life Support to keep from getting harmed right away, it might only be a minor inconveniece.

Sounds like a Physical Limitation to me, with the point value based on the chance of actual harm.

Could make for some interesting roleplay opportunities though, like not immediately noticing that the person you found in a room was dead because you couldn't feel that they were cold.

Or not being able to tell that a closed door was hot and walking right into a fire on the other side.

I was told in chemistry class years ago that this sort of effect could happen from exposure to a strong Base.

Acid, as we all know, burns. But I was told that a strong enough base could practically burn through your skin before you would notice.

I never had the desire to test this out :idjit: , but someone with a chemistry background might be able to verify it.

KA.