Manchurian canditate?

starblaze

Hello,

I have a player in my game who is interested in having a character with a sort of alternative personality. He bascally wants to play a superhero who has another personality just beneath his own. He then wants to play the game with me having his character doing things against the other players while this other personality is in control. The Hero will not know what is happening at first, until they decide that someone is traitor.

What I want to ask is, should I do this? Or will doing this be a really big mistake?

If this is your player's idea dn you think the two of you can pull it off, why not give it a try? It would be like the Judas Contract from the old Titan's comic, except at least one of the player's identities is loyal to te team, so that would really monkey with the works. Imagine what the team will do when they find out? How will they react? This could be a really neat role-playing opportunity for all involved. So, why not?

This is the sort of plot that can bring out the best kind of roleplaying from some players. BUT, you need to try to anticipate the reactions -- sometimes other players will take this sort of betrayal poorly. That depends, often, on the level of maturity of the players, which is something only you can assess.

It's a good idea, but also a dangerous one.

I've done this a couple of times, and it's worked pretty well. One of the players got pissed when her best friend (IRL and game) drilled her and turned her over to the Twisted Genetic Engineer for experimentation purposes. And then Attacker went back to base not remembering anything that happened.

Her (the drilled player) husband bore a grudge, even after things worked out for the best. But that's in his psych profile, and would be a likely response to any situation.

So, all in all, depends on your players. If you've got a good player, who can role-play the differences between personalities, and the conflict between herself, it can be loads of fun.

If you've got a player that's using it as an excuse to screw the party over, well that's a rough thing.

D

Yeah, potiential for OOC trouble here, but don't neglect the down side of the IC consequences. Many characters personalities can be slow to forgive, even if their players are cool with any plot line. Heck, some PCs might even have 'vengeful' or 'hates traitors' as a psych lim. If any in your group does, be prepared for the 'traitor' to have a hard time getting back into the group.

This would be the equivilent in the comics of a 'traitor' possibly disappearing from the series for a few issuses. When just one writer is working the plotline, that is fine, but for RP it can suck.

If thats not a problem, and everyone's mature about it, it might be interesting to say the least.

I think it would be safer to set this up as a Mind Control scenario rather than as a character designed to do this from the get-go. That will reduce player hostilities. Also, it would make more sense for a long-established character to do this. Who really trusts the new guy anyway?

We had this happen in a campaign I played in years ago, where the most popular member of the group (IRL & IG) was Mind Controlled and over the course of several adventures repeatedly sabotaged our group until we finally found out.

We all got over it when we found out, although it certainly didn't hurt that the player was a very attractive girl. :)

Well, to give you a better understanding of how you want to do this let me give more detail.

Basically this player's character Makeshift is a gadgeteer/mentalist, in a Golden Age Champions campaign. He is believed to have recieved his powers as a part of the Philadelphia experiment of 1942. Now how he really got his powers was by coming in contact with an alien entity of some kind that is really evil. It somehow merged with his psyche giving him mental powers as well the ability to create some golden age style gadgets. He has a lightning gun, antigravity belt and so forth.

Up until now he has been acting fine but when I start the next story arc he will start to do some things in secret which will be when the entity takes control. He will probably have some different powers when this creature takes control so that at first no one will know that he Makeshift is doing it.

Now the campaign itself is sort of in a transition period since the team known as the Elites are just done with a long adventure and I am still not sure what new direction to go with it. The one idea I have is that when the entity is in control it will redo some of the powers of Makeshift so that if he is seen commiting evil than the betrayel will not be so obvious at first. It will be alot better at using this power than Makeshift will at first but will have to limit his activities at first in order to protect itself.

Any assistance will be helpful.