Adjustable Hit Locations + Autofire?

Vassoom

I am currently running a Dark Champions "Cyberpunk" flavor game, and one of the optional rules that I am using is Adjustable Hit Locations (Dark Champions, p. 185). Since my game is a Hero level campaign (75 pt characters to start with), I adjusted the power curve of this optional rule downward by only granting +/- 1 to the Hit Location chart for every 2 points by which they make their Attack Rolls, rather than +/- 1 per 1 point. This makes it a little more challenging to get that critical "head shot" or "vitals" shot, which I feel is more appropriate for this power level, but still rewards the players with a much more desirable Hit Location when needed on a "good shot".

The overall effect is excellent, and I am quite happy with the results. :thumbup:

However, one of the team's members has recently acquired an Autofire-capable machine pistol as loot, which has raised an interesting dilemma. Here's my question: Since Autofire attacks already reward a very successful attack roll by allowing multiple hits for the one Attack Roll, how should Adjustable Hit Locations be used for Autofire attacks?

Example: An OCV 7 player fires a burst of 3 rounds at a DCV 5 thug. They need a 13- to hit. They roll a 7. This means all 3 rounds strike the target. But if Adjustable Hit Locations were also applied, then they would be able to move the first shot (7) by +/- 3, the second shot (9) by +/- 2, and the last shot (11) by +/- 1 on the Hit Location chart. So in effect, the single fortunate low roll is even more beneficial: more shots hit and they will hit more ideal locations. Compare this to a Rapid Fire attack in which the player squeezes off 3 rounds at the target. They need to roll 3 Attack Rolls, so the likelihood of being able to adjust more than one "hit" on the Hit Location table is much lower. Whereas if the Autofire attack hits with more than 1 round, it automatically means they get to adjust hit locations at least n-1 times, where n is the number of hits...and with a single very good Attack Roll, they get to adjust them all.

In summary, it appears to me that allowing Adjustable Hit Locations with Autofire can create a truly devastating attack with one single low Attack Roll.

Have any GMs out there used this combination? Should I simply omit the bonus of Adjustable Hit Locations for Autofire attacks? Or should I decrease the power curve for Adj. Hit Loc. even more for Autofire attacks by making it +/- 1 per 3 points on the Attack Roll (or something similar)?

Thoughts?

- Vassoom

Re: Adjustable Hit Locations + Autofire?

One of the things to be careful with any rule that links "how well you hit" with "damage"... is that it makes the "to hit" skill more powerful than anything else in the game. In Hero this would mean upping your OCV in any number of a variety of ways... which would not only let you hit more... but do more damage.

This can be very easily abused and very much unbalancing to a game.

Not to say you shouldn't use this rule if it works for you... just be careful of things like Combat Skill levels and Dex scores going up... because the better chance you have to hit... the better chance you have to move the Hit Location and do great damage. Take points away from less efficient skills and stats and get two for one with DEX/Levels.

This is one of the most unabalancing aspects of any system... not just Hero. Linking damage "to hit" with "damage" focuses all the effective combat stats into a very narrow area... suddenly everyone is the best shot in the world, because that is the easiest way to be really good in combat.

Just FYI... you may or may not run into this, depending on how analytical/munchkin your players are... but it is worth being aware of.

It's Autofire. I think if you want to keep the balance & flavor you've achieved with the 2:1 ratio you've got going, you'd utterly bork it if you allowed 'em to manually adjust their autofire aim. And speaking as someone who's fired multiple weapons, but only heard stories of auto weapons, I'd say the following:

A truly GREAT marksman can place a burst where he wants, if the recoil compensators on the weapon are good, and the shooter is talented, those rounds will go where he wants. If you flip to full auto, you're happy if you hit something. I can place a rapid fire group from the shoulder inside two inches - about 10 rounds at the time. I can barely hit the target with a straight pistol, but I'm nearly green with pistols, despite my natural talent for rifles. *shrug* I never was good with the glamorous stuff. However, I don't think I'd be nearly so lucky with a full auto weapon, and once ON full auto, the gun is going to move.

So I'd put the kibosh on this, and let autofire be autofire. YMMV.

How about you let them only adjust the movement of ONE of their shots, and the others strike the initial placement?

Either that, or all shots hit the location that it was adjusted to.

I think the latter option would actually be even more devastating, since if more than 1 Autofire round hits, then by default that first round can be adjusted a lot, so you definitely don't want to allow all of the rounds to use that location. As a for instance, in my example the player rolled a 7 and all 3 rounds hit, with the first shot adjustable by +/- 3 since they made the Attack Roll by 6. Having +/- 3 is pretty powerful on the Hit Location chart. An 8 or less can be dropped to 5 and become a head shot, a 9 can be moved up the chart to Stomach (12) for x4 STUN, and anything else but a 17 or 18 can be changed to Vitals. So in this example, I certainly wouldn't want all 3 rounds to hit the one location they can adjust, because it would likely be 3 rounds to either the Head, Stomach, or Vitals! :eek:

Your first option is definitely intriguing...allowing them to only adjust the "first" shot that hits would guarantee at least one preferred Hit Location, with the rest being random. However, that still seems to reward a good Autofire Attack Roll twice as much as a regular Attack, since the single good Attack Roll already "benefits" them with more than one hit. I'm definitely trying to encourage lots of shots in the air to heighten the drama of combat, but my gut tells me that allowing Adjustable Hit Locations with AF would mean Autofire would rule the world. And for reasons of verisimilitude (and I strive for a high level of realism in my game), I would think AF would, by definition, be less accurate than single shots.

Hmmm. It's a delicate balance...

- Vassoom

One of the things to be careful with any rule that links "how well you hit" with "damage"... is that it makes the "to hit" skill more powerful than anything else in the game. In Hero this would mean upping your OCV in any number of a variety of ways... which would not only let you hit more... but do more damage.

This can be very easily abused and very much unbalancing to a game.

Not to say you shouldn't use this rule if it works for you... just be careful of things like Combat Skill levels and Dex scores going up... because the better chance you have to hit... the better chance you have to move the Hit Location and do great damage. Take points away from less efficient skills and stats and get two for one with DEX/Levels.

A very good point. Fortunately, I keep a very tight rein on CVs and Skill Levels, and all of my players know that it is done to ensure balance in the game.

But there are three things I really like about the Adjustable Hit Locations:

1. It rewards the good shot. There is nothing more disheartening for the players than rolling a 6 on your Attack Roll and doing an impressive 10 BODY, but having your "killer" shot strike a foot.
  2. It heightens the drama of fights, and allows the player to be more "heroic". If they roll a great Attack Roll, they can suddenly pull off that devastating and "cinematic worthy" shot when things are looking tense.
  3. It works very well with the use of Heroic Action Points (some of which I borrowed liberally from a description of your system, Neil...and I must say, I am very pleased with the results. :)), allowing the Black chip "drop a die" attack option to not only guarantee a hit but also help guarantee a satisfying high damage shot. This ensures that the use of their HAP chip is indeed highly likely to result in a more "heroic" action and be a worthwhile expenditure for their valuable HAP chip.

Just FYI... you may or may not run into this' date=' depending on how analytical/munchkin your players are... but it is worth being aware of.[/quote']

It definitely is. I am quite fortunate in that I have very mature/experienced players who could constantly min/max with the best of them if they wanted, but they rarely ever take advantage of the system...opting instead to trust me as the GM to set the careful balance of heightened drama during combat while still working to ensure the characters can be heroic and almost always win when they are supposed to. But your comments are very insightful, and the "heads up" is much appreciated.

- Vassoom

It's Autofire. I think if you want to keep the balance & flavor you've achieved with the 2:1 ratio you've got going' date=' you'd utterly bork it if you allowed 'em to manually adjust their autofire aim. {...EDIT...} So I'd put the kibosh on this, and let autofire be autofire. YMMV.[/quote']

After more careful thought and the helpful comments here, I think this is probably where I am headed. I'll just make an exception that Autofire attacks prevent the use of Adjustable Hit Locations. If they have a good Attack Roll, it means they already get the benefit of multiple hits, so they'll have more than one chance to roll a "good" Hit Location.

That said, I'm still mulling over the possibility of allowing them to adjust the first shot, but having the subsequent hits be random. But that may still be a little too generous. I'll let you know what I finally decide and how it works out.

And speaking as someone who's fired multiple weapons, but only heard stories of auto weapons, I'd say the following:

A truly GREAT marksman can place a burst where he wants, if the recoil compensators on the weapon are good, and the shooter is talented, those rounds will go where he wants.

True, but it also just occurred to me that our use of the Adjustable Hit Locations optional rule makes "Penalty Skill Levels vs Hit Location modifiers" much less attractive to players. Whereas if I remove it for Autofire attacks, it might create a small incentive for the players to consider purchasing Targeting Skill Levels, and thus try to become that "truly GREAT marksman".

BTW, I've fired several weapons on full auto thanks to the Las Vegas Gun Range and Firearm Center, including a 9mm Uzi, a .45ACP "Tommy gun", a 9mm H&K MP5, and a MAC-10. I don't wanna derail this thread into a gun bunny discussion, but I have to say, full auto is indeed tough! Heck, even with just short bursts it was impossible for me to land tight groups...lots of first shots on target and then up and right with the rest. But I guess that's just another reason why I'm not a marksman. :D

So back on topic, I think I'm down to either completely excluding Adjustable Hit Locations from Autofire attacks, or only allowing the first shot to be adjusted. Hmmm...

- Vassoom

I'd probably let the players choose between one of two options...

Option 1 (the standard route): Roll locations for autofire bursts normally... the benefit is the extra hits. Extra location rolls increase the chance for a better location hit.

Option 2: if desired, before rolling the inital hit location, the shooter may choose to "walk" the bust across the target. roll location normally, then allow the shooter to adjust each subsiquent hit by one location. Effectively, this means the last shot in the burst will be adjusted just like you were using the Adjustable Hit Locations rule. This would be less exploitable than adjusting each shot by the full amount, and would potentially give tight groupings that could suck (ore likelywith only a couple of hits)... or kill quick with a good initial location roll.

Of course, for the expert marksman types, I'd still allow specfic location targeting at the usual penalties.

I'd probably let the players choose between one of two options...

Option 1 (the standard route): Roll locations for autofire bursts normally... the benefit is the extra hits. Extra location rolls increase the chance for a better location hit.

Option 2: if desired, before rolling the inital hit location, the shooter may choose to "walk" the bust across the target. roll location normally, then allow the shooter to adjust each subsiquent hit by one location. Effectively, this means the last shot in the burst will be adjusted just like you were using the Adjustable Hit Locations rule. This would be less exploitable than adjusting each shot by the full amount, and would potentially give tight groupings that could suck (ore likelywith only a couple of hits)... or kill quick with a good initial location roll.

Hmm. That's a very intriguing idea. I'm wondering, however, why any player would ever take Option #1. Let's say they hit with 3 rounds as in my example. With both of your two options, the first location is always just a random roll. So they could get a great location like head or vitals, or a crappy one like foot or hand. So there's no difference between the two for the first round that hits.

But by being able to "walk" the subsequent shots up/down the Hit Location table, they immediately have control and can steer the remaining shots away from poor damage locations toward the high damage "goal" targets of Head/Vitals/Stomach. So since the first round is identical for both Options, the only real choice is whether to have control over the subsequent rounds and steer them toward a goal location, or keep it random. I can't imagine any player choosing random. (At least not my players. :winkgrin:) Sure it would suck if their one location roll turned out to be 17-"Feet", but 74% of the time they'll get locations they can reach a "goal" target from with 3 shots. (I.e., only an initial Hit Location roll of 8, 9, or 16-18 will prevent landing at least 1 of 3 rounds on Head/Vitals/Stomach...and since an initial 8 or 9 can still get to "Chest", which is perfectly acceptable damage, 95.4% of the time you guarantee that you can get to either Chest, Head ,Vitals, or Stomach.) And then when you also consider the fact that they don't have to adjust once they reach (or if they initially roll) a good location, Option #2 would also give you the benefit of multiple rounds on critical spots when they roll either a good location initially or a one-off.

An interesting idea, though. Very "out of the box". I like that. :thumbup:

- Vassoom

I think there's a simple solution: let the player choose between "extra hits" and "adjusted Hit Locations" for each 2 he makes the roll by.

IOW, with the example the OP gave, the player has 3 "extras" to choose with. Roll the Hit Location for the first hit, then the player chooses how many, if any, of his extras to spend on moving the Hit Location. If he has another "extra" left after settling on the Hit Location, that's another hit, which takes up another "extra"; roll location and let him spend as many (or few) of the "extras" he has left as he wants to on adjusting the Hit Location. Continue until the player has no more extras to spend. Voila, the damage is resolved.

Admittedly, it gives Autofire a bit of flexibility single-shots don't have, but I think it most fairly deals with the interaction of Autofire and Adjustable Hit Locations. Just don't let your players dawdle over their decisions, and you'll be fine. :)

That said, I'm still mulling over the possibility of allowing them to adjust the first shot, but having the subsequent hits be random. But that may still be a little too generous. I'll let you know what I finally decide and how it works out.

Technically, the first shot adjustment might be more "realistic" in that the first shot will be the "best aimed" because it will have no recoil.

However, game balance considerations trump realism, so go with what you are comfortable with.

I think there's a simple solution: let the player choose between "extra hits" and "adjusted Hit Locations" for each 2 he makes the roll by.

IOW, with the example the OP gave, the player has 3 "extras" to choose with. Roll the Hit Location for the first hit, then the player chooses how many, if any, of his extras to spend on moving the Hit Location. If he has another "extra" left after settling on the Hit Location, that's another hit, which takes up another "extra"; roll location and let him spend as many (or few) of the "extras" he has left as he wants to on adjusting the Hit Location. Continue until the player has no more extras to spend. Voila, the damage is resolved.

Admittedly, it gives Autofire a bit of flexibility single-shots don't have, but I think it most fairly deals with the interaction of Autofire and Adjustable Hit Locations. Just don't let your players dawdle over their decisions, and you'll be fine. :)

Hmm. Another excellent option!

Let me break this down into a few concrete examples so I can guage the effect. (Finding the extremes of the mechanism is the best way I know to assess how effective or possibly unbalancing a rule may be.)

In my example, the player needed a 13- to hit with their 3 round Autofire burst and rolled a 7, so the first round hits plus they earn 3 "extras". (Calc: AF Attack Roll succeeded by 13-7=6 points, and 6/2 = 3 "extras".)

Example #1: Hit Location is rolled for the initial bullet. Let's say it's a 15: "Legs". The player elects to spend 2 of their 3 "extras" to move that to 13: "Vitals". They could then use their last "extra" to be a 2nd hit with the Hit Location rolled randomly. The 3rd bullet in the burst is considered to have missed.

Example #2: Hit Location is rolled for the initial bullet. Let's say it's a 12: "Stomach". They're happy enough with that and decide to use the first "extra" for another hit (bullet #2). They roll the location for the 2nd hit and get 13: "Vitals". Perfect...no need to use an "extra" there...so they still have 2 "extras" left. They use their second "extra" for hit #3. They roll a 10: "Chest". Acceptable, but with only 1 "extra" left, they can't improve on it. Since it's a 3 round burst, they are out of options...but if it were a 5 round AF burst, the remaining "extra" would have allowed a 4th bullet hit. (I would also rule in this case that once they decide to keep a Hit Location and "move on", they can't go back with any left over "extras" and change their earlier decisions, such as possibly changing that first shot from "12: Stomach" to "13: Vitals".)

Example #3: Hit Location is rolled for the initial bullet. They roll an 18: "Feet". Even if they burn all 3 "extras", they can't get a decent location out of that one, so they skip it and use "extra" #1 to be another hit. They roll Hit Location for the second bullet and get a 7: "Arms". They use their last two "extras" to move that to 5: "Head". The third round in the Burst is then considered to have missed.

Example #4: Hit Location is rolled for the initial bullet. They roll an 8: "Arms". They burn all 3 "extras" and move the location to 5: "Head", with the other two rounds being misses. So in this case they burn 3 bullets with the AF burst, but the end result is exactly as if they had fired a single "Adjustable Hit Location" shot.

OK, this seems like a fairly well-balanced trade-off: They can elect to burn additional AF hits in exchange for fewer (but better) Hit Locations, if they so choose.

Interesting. This would actually allow the players to effectively convert their multiple-shot Autofire attack into a single "Adjustable Hit Location" shot, depending upon their initial Hit Location roll. Very interesting indeed.

Let's see where we stand now with all of the possible ways to adjudicate AHL + AF:

1. Let them use AHL as is. If they roll low, they get multiple hits AND lots of adjusted Hit Locations. End Result: Autofire rules the world. All hail Autofire! Not gonna work.
  2. Don't let them use AHL at all. If they roll low and get multiple AF hits, all locations are rolled randomly. End Result: This completely removes the AHL optional rule, and reintroduces pure randomness for AF attacks. Im not keen on that, and my guess is this would also slightly decrease the players' enthusiasm for Autofire, since 1 ideal Hit Location trumps 2 or 3 poor/mediocre ones.
  3. Let them use AHL, but only for the first hit. If they roll low, they can move their first location by several points (using my usual AHL rules), but the remaining hits are all random. End Result: They get lots of hits AND a much better chance that at least one is likely to hit a critical spot. It also passes the "realism sniff test", since only the first shot is easily aimed before recoil takes over.
  4. Have them roll their first Hit Location randomly, but then let them "walk" each successive hit up or down a point. If they roll low, they get the multiple hits AND can control each subsequent hit's location, guiding them toward a critical spot. End Result: 74% of the time any low AF Attack Roll (made by 6 or more) will guarantee them at least one critical spot. Also, if they roll a good Hit Location initially, the target is utterly toast. This one is interesting, but too powerful IMHO.
  5. Basil's "Autofire 'extras' idea", in which they can trade additional shots to adjust rolled Hit Locations. If they roll low, they can have multiple random hits, or fewer "adjusted" hits, or a single "highly adjusted" hit. End Result: Maximum flexibility for AF attacks, which means no real downside for the players. But I suspect a lot of 3 or 5 round "bursts" would end up as one or two hits with ideal Hit Locations with the rest of the rounds missing. But is that a bad thing?

So let's see...

#1 is simply too powerful.

#2 noticably weakens Autofire compared to single shots, which upon further reflection doesn't sit well with me.

#3 seems to strike a nice balance between allowing Autofire its inherent advantage of multiple hits without having them all be adjustable.

#4 is too powerful.

#5 is a very flexible alternative, but it allows for a fairly major change to how Autofire works in that you would be able to trade extra hits for one really good shot.

Hmm. Maybe I should create a poll and let people vote. ;)

- Vassoom

Sorry I'm late - somehow didn't see this thread before... :think:

We used AHL in my last DC campaign; in fact we used the same one-for-every-two rule that you've adopted. GMTA and all that! ;)

One of the things to be careful with any rule that links "how well you hit" with "damage"... is that it makes the "to hit" skill more powerful than anything else in the game.

Absolutely right. Personally I'm okay with that, at least for "gun bunny" games -- with firearms, shot placement IS the single most important determiner of damage. But you're right that it raises potential balance issues that you need to watch out for.

1. Let them use AHL as is.

2. Don't let them use AHL at all.

3. Let them use AHL, but only for the first hit.

4. Have them roll their first Hit Location randomly, but then let them "walk" each successive hit up or down a point.

5. Basil's "Autofire 'extras' idea", in which they can trade additional shots to adjust rolled Hit Locations.

We mainly used #2. Mostly because #1 was way too powerful, and... we didn't really stop to think up other options. :o Although I may have let them adjust a hit now and then if all their locations rolled really crappy. Does it weaken autofire? Maybe, a bit. Particularly if your target is wearing a vest, one good hit location beats the *** out of three crappy locations. Having fired automatic weapons, I think that's fairly realistic. My players still liked their autofire weapons, but were also prone to switch to single-shot now and then if they really wanted to "make this one count."

Of the other options suggested, I think I like #3 the best. I agree that #4 is potentially too powerful. I like #5 in theory, but I think in play it would slow things down too much; autofire with hit locations runs slowly enough without the players having to decide after each single hit how to allocate their extras.

Hmm. Another excellent option!

Thank you!

Let me break this down into a few concrete examples so I can guage the effect.

{snip}

Example #2: Hit Location is rolled for the initial bullet. Let's say it's a 12: "Stomach". They're happy enough with that and decide to use the first "extra" for another hit (bullet #2). They roll the location for the 2nd hit and get 13: "Vitals". Perfect...no need to use an "extra" there...so they still have 2 "extras" left. They use their second "extra" for hit #3. They roll a 10: "Chest". Acceptable, but with only 1 "extra" left, they can't improve on it. Since it's a 3 round burst, they are out of options...but if it were a 5 round AF burst, the remaining "extra" would have allowed a 4th bullet hit. (I would also rule in this case that once they decide to keep a Hit Location and "move on", they can't go back with any left over "extras" and change their earlier decisions, such as possibly changing that first shot from "12: Stomach" to "13: Vitals".)

I admit I hadn't thought of the situation of the number of "extras" being equal to or more than the number of rounds in the burst. I would allow someone to "back up" and adjust the Hit Locations in this situation. Otherwise, they don't get all the "extras" they rolled.

OK' date=' this seems like a fairly well-balanced trade-off: They can elect to burn additional AF [i']hits [/i]in exchange for fewer (but better) Hit Locations, if they so choose.

That well-balanced feel is what I was going for. I'm glad you think I succeeded. :D

We used AHL in my last DC campaign; in fact we used the same one-for-every-two rule that you've adopted. GMTA and all that! ;)

Excellent. It's always rewarding to hear that other GMs have opted for the same adjustments, and that it worked well for them.

We mainly used #2. [...snip...]Of the other options suggested' date=' I think I like #3 the best. I agree that #4 is potentially too powerful. I like #5 [i']in theory[/i], but I think in play it would slow things down too much; autofire with hit locations runs slowly enough without the players having to decide after each single hit how to allocate their extras.

I agree completely. I was vacillating between options #3 and #5, with 3 being more "realistic", and with 5 being a nice balance between the extra hits and adjustable hits.

Ultimately, however, I opted to go with #3. As you rightly point out above, the concept behind #5 is outstanding, but the mechanics are slightly confusing for the players and it would take even longer to properly adjudicate the effects of an Autofire burst. Option #3 is slightly more powerful than #5, but only marginally, and it's a little faster to resolve. It also easily passes the "realism sniff test", which is important in my campaign.

So thank you all very much for your feedback! It was instrumental in helping me suss out the ideal solution for how to properly combine Adjustable Hit Locations with Autofire in my game. I announced my decision tonight (we game on Wednesdays), and the players were quite satisfied with the final decision to allow Adjustable Hit Location with Autofire, but only for the first hit.

Now if I could only figure out how best to build my game's cybernetic "brainjack"... :winkgrin:

- Vassoom

However' date=' one of the team's members has recently acquired an Autofire-capable machine pistol as loot, which has raised an interesting dilemma. Here's my question: Since Autofire attacks already reward a very successful attack roll by allowing multiple hits for the one Attack Roll, how should Adjustable Hit Locations be used for Autofire attacks?[/quote']

I've only read the first few replies, but my gut feeling is that adjusting the to-hit location is adjusting the roll. Ie, in your example, if they roll a 7 and needed 13-, (so 7, 9, 11 are AF hits), they could spend '2' to improve their hit location and still hit three times, -or- spend four, to improve the hit location by two, but then their third shot would go wide, or spend 6 to improve the hit location by 3 but only hit with a single shot (and the color of whether or not its the first shot or another shot that actually hits).

You didn't choose my idea?!!?

Well then, I'm going to pout.

j/k.

I agree, it's a bit complex. If you (or your players) don't want the extra work, I understand. :)

Glad I could help. Oh, and if anyone else wants to use my idea, feel free. :D