New Monster: Drakameleon

Seenar

Here is a new monster I will be introducing to a campaign I am starting up. I am working on exact stats, but this shoudl give y'all the basic idea. Feedback welcome.

Drakameleon

The drakameleon is one of the many magical beasts that roam the edges of civilized lands. It is the bane of shepherds and ranchers in the areas it inhabits. Distantly related to dragons and drakes, the drakameleon appears to be a 6 foot long lizard, with four legs and two additional legs extending from the front shoulders, arching forward, not unlike the main part of a Dragon’s wing, with the joint bending to the front of the animal. These extra legs end in sharp claws for rending its prey.

The drakameleon is a solitary predator that preys mostly on herd animals. Its magic nature allows it to assume the form of other animals, and it can even increase or decrease its size to match its prey. While shape shifted, the drakameleon fools all sight, sound, and smell, allowing it to creep into herds undetected. Unlike most predators, which fell the young, old or weak, the drakameleon is able to select the best target for a meal and then strike suddenly, rending its prey ( a bizarre sight to suddenly see two reptilian limbs sprout from the back of a horse to kill another). Drakameleons are able fighters, but are unwilling to fight with other predators, preferring to use their mimic abilities as cover. The drakameleon hide is quite tough, and resistant to both blunt and sharp blows. When forced to fight, a drakameleon will increase its size but maintain is basic form, and it formidable rending claws. Sometimes a drakameleon will adopt a different form (such as a horse) in order to use the abilities of that animal (for instance, to run away).

Drakameleons have been know to assume human form; because so many predators avoid humans, many drakameleons have learned adopt human form to flee. But with no more than a feral intelligence, this ruse does not make it very far among people.

Drakameleons are able to always detect one another, even in disguise (personal immunity). If two are found together, they are mating. Females lay 15-25 eggs that buried. She will guard them until they hatch, and then abandon the nest. Baby drakameleons must learn their environment, and what forms to change into. Over the 10 years it take them to grow, they will mimic different animals to stay eat and avoid becoming meals for other predators.

The hide of a drakameleon can be fashioned into strong, light armor, that is the equivalent to leather. It is rumored that if this armor is worn by a shape shifter, it will change from along with the wearer, providing the same level of protection.

Guest WhammeWhamme

1) Awesome monster. Scary. I might steal it for my campaign world if I ever finish it and the PC's get uppity... :)

2) It's creepy to see you post in a gaming room...

Re: New Monster: Drakameleon

Originally posted by Seenar

Here is a new monster I will be introducing to a campaign I am starting up. I am working on exact stats, but this shoudl give y'all the basic idea. Feedback welcome.

A little too conservative for my taste. ;)

This is really cool. You should post game stuff more often. :)

Nice. Tough enough you have to be careful (especially with it's ambush abilities), but not unbeatable. Suits the feel of the monster nicely :).

Out of interest, have you been watching Alien recently? It has that 'know it's there but can't see it coming' feel to it.

Michael

Originally posted by Mavnn

Nice. Tough enough you have to be careful (especially with it's ambush abilities), but not unbeatable. Suits the feel of the monster nicely :).

Out of interest, have you been watching Alien recently? It has that 'know it's there but can't see it coming' feel to it.

Michael

Actually, I have not. This monster really came out of a dream I had. At least how it looks did.