Any Practioners of Tai Ch'i Ch'uan?

Tempuswolf

Does anyone know enough about Tai Ch'i Ch'uan to connect some of the poetic mnemonics for the postures to the 12 manuevers for Tai Ch'i Ch'uan in UMA? The manuvers are:

Block, Disarm, Escaping Throw, Grab, Joint Break, Palm Slap, Kick, Root, Shove, Strike, Sword Finger, and Throw

Some of the posture names are:

Part the Wild Horse's Mane, White Crane Spreads Its Wings, Playing the Lute, Grasping the Swallow's Tail, Single Whip, Wave Hands Like Clouds, High Pat Horse, Double Bees Buzzing at Ears, Snake Creeps Down & Golden Cockerel Stands on One Leg, Work at the Shuttles, Jade Girl Sinks Needle Into the Sea

Originally posted by tkdguy

Youe best bet would be to get a book on Tai Chi with photos. Try to do a web search like martialinfo.com which may lead you to many martial arts links.

Thanks, the "Ask The Experts" on martialinfo.com was great. Seven different POVs certainly broadens my understanding of Tai Ch'i Ch'uan.

I've been studying Tai Chi for almost ten years, and the mnemonics don't really line up cleanly with the moves from the UMA. My teachers have always emphasized that every movement and posture we learn in Tai Chi has both an offensive and defesive potential, as well as an excercise benefit. So the 'Needle to the Bottom of the Sea' as we call it could be a low block or a grab (or possibly a kick or strike). The 'Double Lotus Kick' might be a block, takedown or leg sweep. The 'Brush Knee Twist Step' is a groin block and a shove (or maybe palm slap). Almost every move includes a block of some kind.

Tell you what, now that you've got me thinking about it I'll see if I can find some time this weekend to sit down with my UMA and see what I can come up with.

Originally posted by abjuk

I've been studying Tai Chi for almost ten years, and the mnemonics don't really line up cleanly with the moves from the UMA. My teachers have always emphasized that every movement and posture we learn in Tai Chi has both an offensive and defesive potential, as well as an excercise benefit. So the 'Needle to the Bottom of the Sea' as we call it could be a low block or a grab (or possibly a kick or strike). The 'Double Lotus Kick' might be a block, takedown or leg sweep. The 'Brush Knee Twist Step' is a groin block and a shove (or maybe palm slap).

I began to suspect there might not be one-to-one correspondences as I read more about the art.

Almost every move includes a block of some kind.

Too bad the Block manuever basis is an exclusive basis, but the rules for Multiple Power Attacks and Sweeps would allow you to combine strikes with blocks.

Tell you what, now that you've got me thinking about it I'll see if I can find some time this weekend to sit down with my UMA and see what I can come up with.

Too cool. Thanks for the insights.