Help m Brainstorm: when Halloween goes bad

Great Beyond

So I was running our hero game last weekend - which was taking place on Halloween (last year, to be exact). The general thrust of the plot was a Evil Cult was using the 31st as a perfect time to summon a demon - typical Samhain shenanigans, I know. As we were getting close to the cliffhanger for the evening, as the bad guys were about to bring forth the darkness (the good guys were still at the Halloween party), I hit on a brilliant idea.

One of the side effects of the spell is a transformation. Everyone in costume takes on the characteristics of whatever they were wearing! So someone dressed as Frankenstein gets big, dumb and strong (and has a fear of fire). Someone dressed as a Ghostbuster gets Doctor Spengler level of smarts and a fully functional unlicensed nuclear accelerator on their back. That sort of thing.

The problem with these cool spur of the moment ideas, is I have no idea what to do with it. I'll probably delay the Big Monster's appearance for an hour or two and let the PC's do some cleanup - but I thought I'd turn to you guys for some more brainstorming. . . . .

Re: Help m Brainstorm: when Halloween goes bad

Ah, but where would the fun be in that?

I was thinking that it wouldn't be a complete transform into the costume. The traits and powers would be there, but the underlying personality would more or less be the same. Someone who wont kill dressed as Leatherface wont instantly turn into a chainsaw wielding maniac and slaughter everyone in arms reach. One of the characters is shy but came dressed as a pirate. So she gets to be a bold, brash swashbuckler for the evening - that sort of thing.

(At least for the PC's. The throngs of Wolfmans and Devils out there get a stronger effect.)

Re: Help m Brainstorm: when Halloween goes bad

There is a Buffy episode with almost this exact premise.

It might be worth checking out either to get some ideas or to make sure you don't accidentally steal some plot bits that'd be recognized by any buffy fans among your players.

Another idea to complicate the matter... you could have the residual magic from the ritual temporarily restore the local areas background magic to something similar to the days of yore... which means all the superstitions that have turned mostly secular suddenly become important.