in that it no longer has the third-shot disentegration capability. From what I

read in the Wikipedia entry for science-fiction hardware, the guys who came

up with the idea for the Zat gun regretted giving it that capability, so they

decided to write it out of subsequent episodes. As to what rationale they

came up with to explain the loss of that capability, I think that it had to do

with the technology behind the weapon.

Major Tom :dyn

Re: Stargate Question

Well, the first military commander of the Atlantis expedition was left alive, but in very aged, bad shape and then shipped back to Earth. They never said, but I believe the implication was he wasn't going to get any better.

The first military CO was killed by a burst of fire that also disabled the wraith. I think that you are thinking of the Marine Col. who arrived in the last episode of the 2nd season, and was drained by the wraith in the first episode of the third season.

The first military CO was killed by a burst of fire that also disabled the wraith. I think that you are thinking of the Marine Col. who arrived in the last episode of the 2nd season' date=' and was drained by the wraith in the first episode of the third season.[/quote']

You are correct! :)

I don't know if anyone reading this thread has noticed it or not, but apparent-

ly the folks on the Stargate: SG-1 series have retconned the Zat gun,

in that it no longer has the third-shot disentegration capability. From what I

read in the Wikipedia entry for science-fiction hardware, the guys who came

up with the idea for the Zat gun regretted giving it that capability, so they

decided to write it out of subsequent episodes. As to what rationale they

came up with to explain the loss of that capability, I think that it had to do

with the technology behind the weapon.

True enough that the third disintegrating shot hasn't been seen for quite a while, but no rationale has really been necessary--you just never see anybody shoot the same target more than twice with a zat.

Actualy the Marine Col. appears in the last part of the first season and is shipped off in the first few episodes of second season.

I must disagree. The end of the first season was when the Genii invaded Atlantis. It was the second season when the Wraith attacked, and (just coinicidentally) SG1 had just found a ZPM, so they could send help through.

I actually don't think its a Drain so much as a Transform. No body recovers from having 30+ years of their life stolen' date=' do they?[/quote']

SPOILER ALERT !!!!!

Well, actually....John Shepard does in the most recent episode "Common Ground" (aired in the US on 08/25/06).

Of course, that WAS thru the actions of the Wraith who had drained him....

Things that make you say "Hmmmmmmmmmm......".

-Carl-

I suppose that this is a quible, but I do not think that the 5.7x28 mm round is NATO standard; to the best of my knowledge the P90 is the only weapon that uses it. FN specifically designed it for the weapon.

The ammo is designed as AP (armor piercing) and thus cannot be legally imported or sold in the US without a federal class three license.

If I am wrong about this, I am sure someone will point that out.

http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/tw_p90.htm

http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/tw_57x28mm.htm

According to FN they make civilian legal versions of the P90 and its ammo and the FN5.7 pistol that uses the same ammo.

Just so ya'll know.:king:

I think it was to make sure that the humans don't abuse the technology or blow themselves up by being stupid.

More the latter, I think--or at least, we haven't seen Hermiod proclaim any use of Daedalus's Asgard equipment to be "abusive." The technology is sufficiently far ahead of both Earth's and most Goa'uld tech that it simply couldn't be maintained without an Asgard to help. Kind of a Peace Corps thing, but not so much on the peace.

More the latter' date=' I think--or at least, we haven't seen Hermiod proclaim any use of [i']Daedalus'[/i]s Asgard equipment to be "abusive." The technology is sufficiently far ahead of both Earth's and most Goa'uld tech that it simply couldn't be maintained without an Asgard to help. Kind of a Peace Corps thing, but not so much on the peace.

I think of it more as the Western Technicians third world countries need to keep their most modern military hardware working.