[Totally fictional] A suicide note

Funksaw

To whom it may concern:

Having suffered the toils and tribulations of life, of having sought to create meaning in a meaningless world and failed at that, of having failed to measure up to any barometer internally or externally imposed, I regret to inform you that by the time you read this letter, there is a 99.8% chance I will be dead.

And a 0.2% chance that I will have superpowers.

At 5:00 on Tuesday, December 25th, I will enter the Tuna Forks nuclear power plant, and, without protective clothing, enter the reactor chamber. The massive heat should kill me before I even reach the chamber, but the massive amounts of alpha, beta, and gamma radiation should kill me. Unless, of course, it alters my physiology on the molecular level leaving me an ubermenchen. That would be kinda cool.

Tell my wife goodbye, that it was not her fault, and that I will miss her, and that it is the one real regret in my life that I was not a better husband. Unless the improbable happens, in which case I will wear a mask and tell her nothing. Of course in that case, I will probably return at the speed of sound or light or time or something like that and tear up the note.

Re: [Totally fictional] A suicide note

If I'd lived in a world where freak accidents demonstrably caused super-powers a ways back, my suicide-method-of-choice would have certainly been different. And almost certainly more lethal than the one I chose.

Didn't Aberrant address the effects of stress-triggered Novas on those with major depression? IIRC, in that world, lots of suicidally depressed people chose bizarre methods because of that off chance. And more people went through with it.

A dark side of that particular genre convention that I doubt we'll ever see addressed by Marvel or DC.

Re: [Totally fictional] A suicide note

I've often stated, "Are you kidding, radiation is good for you?" Because in the comic books, the chances of getting superpowers exposed to normally lethal radiation seems to be quite high (even 2% would seem high if you didn't hear about the 98%) , while the chance of getting radiation sickness is nearly nil. And if for some reason you don't, you completely vaporize to ash with only a momentary amount of pain.