Taking the Plunge and got the 5th Edition

I now own a copy of every edtion of Hero core rules I've ever heard of. My goodness. I was happy with 4th edition, why did I have to go an spend the big bucks tonight when I'm low on cash? The book basically said "buy me." I need to put more points into mental defenses.

I think the thing I like about 5th edition after having sat with it for an hour tonight is the level of detail that is put into each entry. It is much more clear what the intent of the entry is.

4th edition was a no brainer for one simple reason: the index. That was the number one reason everyone of us bought 4th edtion back in 1990 or there abouts (was it 1989? darn, can't remember now!) The index in the new book blows the old one away.

The examples are great!

All in all well done. Hope to get to play a game when i show up at Origins next week! Woot!

By "index" in 4th Edition, I'm guessing you mean the Hero System Rulebook rather than Champions? The only edition of the latter that had an index was the Deluxe hardback from several years after the initial edition came out in 1989. That Deluxe index was pretty sweet (IIRC Steve Long compiled that one, too). ;)

For anyone who loved 4th, once you get 5th there's no turning back. The layout may be a bit confusing in spots, and one might disagree with some of the rule changes or explanations; but the level of clarity, illustrative examples and range of options is light years ahead of its predecessor. And I agree, the index puts every other game rulebook to shame. :D

BTW CC, in case you missed it there's a "Quick Link" on the right side of the Hero Home page to a list of all the HERO System games being run at Origins.