NuSoardGraphite, you are the Robotech master! Help me!

Agent333

NuSoardGraphite, thank the gods you came. I need Veritech fighters and I need 'em fast! I recently acquired TUV with the intent of interpreting my Robotech RPG (from Palladium) into Hero. Best laid plans of mice and men...anyway, I instead started to create this thing using a "cut and paste" method with the TUV as follows:

1) basic stats from the Hornet fighter jet on TUV page 77 , increased DEF to 12

2) used Transmatron's Power Plant and Aux Power (page 111) for the Protoculture reactor.

3) used Hornet's propulsion and added Spaceflight 50" 8xNCM Flight for Space Only

4) used Hornet's 20mm M61A cannon for Gunpod.

5) used Apache propulsion system (page 79) for Guardian mode

6) used the Rocket Pod from page 131 for short range missiles and added an expensive Autofire (+2) that allows gangfire of all 12 missiles.

7) Then, made the missiles do 5D6 RKA, removed Autofire and increased max range [25 miles] for long range missiles [not to be used with SRMs]

8) dropped the Hornet's ECM and ECCM in favor of the competing System Operation Skill Rolls mentioned on page 125

9) Gave Battloid mode a total Ground Movement of 30", a 20" booster-assisted leap and 30" of Flight only to maneuver in space.

10) Gave all modes a Point Defense Missile Deflection vs. All Physical Objects with the Variable SFX advantage. This is supposed to simulate a V-tech's ability to shoot down incoming missles using it's weapons (Gunpod/lasers) or ECM.

So far I think this dog will hunt, all I need now is a proper communications package, radar/motion detectors and pilot life-support. I was hoping to pick your brain on things I'll need or stuff I missed or just what you might do differently. Your input is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks.

Wow, I'm popular today!

I'm here for ya man. Unfortunately I'm at work right now, and I can't go into a lengthy explaination of things right now, but I should be able to get to this tomorrow morning. (or perhaps, later this evening)

I have something for you though...

If you are unaware of this page, its called the Macross Compendium.

It is THE MOST EXCELLENT MACROSS SOURCE MATERIAL ON THE WEB. Check it out.

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/index.html

To jump directly to the info on the VF-1 click here:

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_nations/variable/vf1/index.html

Hope that helps. I'll post my opinions tomorrow, as I've been contemplating the Varable Fighters in Hero. I plan to resurrect a campaign I had going a few years ago (I used Mekton at the time) at some point in the future, so we can bounce some ideas off one another...

I am most interested in the Zentraedi mecha, most especially the Quendalen Rau.

Re: NuSoardGraphite, you are the Robotech master! Help me!

Originally posted by Agent333

1) basic stats from the Hornet fighter jet on TUV page 77 , increased DEF to 12

The defense sounds about right for the VF-1. They aren't very tough, but not completely flimsy either. BEWARE AP ROUNDS!

3) used Hornet's propulsion and added Spaceflight 50" 8xNCM Flight for Space Only

Don't forget, that the VF-1 needs its FAST Packs for space flight. The basic flight pacakage for the VF-1 is turbine based, so they mount the FAST Packs, which are the same kind of rocket engine that the Space shuttle uses, for space movement. (See the link below for the VF-1's top speed and G-accelleration)

5) used Apache propulsion system (page 79) for Guardian mode

You can use the same propulsion system for Guardian mode, just remember that Guardian mode: A) has no stall speed and B) Has a much increased braking capability (It should be able to go from Top speed to full stop in just a couple of phases)

9) Gave Battloid mode a total Ground Movement of 30", a 20" booster-assisted leap and 30" of Flight only to maneuver in space.

See my link above to check on the speed in the various modes.

10) Gave all modes a Point Defense Missile Deflection vs. All Physical Objects with the Variable SFX advantage. This is supposed to simulate a V-tech's ability to shoot down incoming missles using it's weapons (Gunpod/lasers) or ECM.

The same as the PHALANX write-up in TUV. Personaly, I write up all my missiles as small vehicles, and my PHALANX weapons as AE Autofire. (targets DCV-3 within the area...crafty eh?) but thats just me...I like things complicated. Missile Deflection is probably the best way to go.

So far I think this dog will hunt, all I need now is a proper communications package, radar/motion detectors and pilot life-support. I was hoping to pick your brain on things I'll need or stuff I missed or just what you might do differently. Your input is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks.

No problem!

I'll get to the Sensor package tomorrow. Theres quite a bit of detail you can do with this sort of thing.

Don't forget, that the VF-1 needs its FAST Packs for space flight. The basic flight pacakage for the VF-1 is turbine based, so they mount the FAST Packs, which are the same kind of rocket engine that the Space shuttle uses, for space movement. (See the link below for the VF-1's top speed and G-accelleration)

ACK! You're talking about those blue rocket pods? I coulda sworn the V-techs were fling in space without them... [scratches head] Okay, Bulky OIF it is then.

The same as the PHALANX write-up in TUV. Personaly, I write up all my missiles as small vehicles, and my PHALANX weapons as AE Autofire. (targets DCV-3 within the area...crafty eh?) but thats just me...I like things complicated. Missile Deflection is probably the best way to go.

I went the non-vehicle route mostly because I got newbies playing in this game. Trying to K.I.S.S. the situation, RKA seems fastest.

As always, NSG, thank you thank you thank you

Weird, your first post didn't show up on my screen till just after I posted this one. Okay. NOW, I'll go check those links.

ACK! You're talking about those blue rocket pods? I coulda sworn the V-techs were fling in space without them... [scratches head] Okay, Bulky OIF it is then.

Yes. This is what the Robotech RPG calls the "Super Veritech". In the original Macross, they are actually the rocket pods necessary for space flight. They do mount more mini-missiles in them, but the reason they are so big is because they hold a butload of Fuel and more maneuvering verniers for increased maneuverability.

According to the Robotech RPG, Veritech's can fly in space without the FAST Packs, so how you write it up depends on how you want to go...With the original Japanese version, or the versions adjusted by Palladium for the RPG.

If you want to go by the Animation itself, you never see the Valkyries in space without the FAST Packs. Go back and take a look at the episodes set in space if you need confirmation...

Okay, I've got time to post now, so I'm going to throw out some numbers, based on the Stats found on the Macross Compendium site:

G-Accelleration:

The VF-1 has two Thermonuclear Turbine engines each rated at 11,500 Kg of thrust (a total of 23 tons of thrust) 23,000 kg each in Overboost (Afterburner)

The Standard Takeoff weight of the VF-1 is 18,500 kg (includes Ammo, fuel and standard missile compliment)

Standard Accelleration is 1.2 G's. Afterburner Accelleration is 2.4 G's.

Assuming a Speed of 5 in Jet mode (the same as the F/A-18 Hornet in TUV) the VF-1 has a Combat Move of 26"/45" with Overboost.

With a X16 Non-combat multiplier at speed 5, this gives the VF-1 a maximum speed of 1248kph (Mach 1.15) or 2160kph (Mach 2.0) with Afterburner.

Note, that the FAST Packs are each rated at 120,000 Kg of thrust for a total of 240 tons of thrust for Space Accelleration. With the weight of the FAST Packs added to that of the VF-1, the total T/O weight of the "Super Veritech" is 45 Tons. All told, that gives the Super Veritech a G-performance of 5.3 G's or about 100" of Combat move!

Note also that my "G" calculations are based on more realistic models than the 60" per turn from Star Hero (which is way off)

Maximum Speed:

According to the Macross Compendium, the Max level speed is Mach 2.71: This is 2927Kph. (note: This is at 10,000 meters. Max Speed is considerably less at Sea Level)

This requires a Combat move of 61"/phase (at speed 5) and a X16 Non-combat multiplier. Considerably higher than the statistics listed above.

In GERWALK (Guardian) Mode, Max speed is 500 kph. This is 26"/phase at Speed 4, with a X8 non-combat Multipler (499.2kph, close enough)

Walking in Guardian Mode is limited to 100 Kph. At speed 4, this is 20" X2 Ncbt (96kph)

Walking in Battloid Mode is limited to 160 Kph. At Speed 4, this is 34" X2 Ncbt (162kph)

Note that it does not list a Maximum speed for Battloid mode using the Thrusters to "Hover". This certainly is possible and is probably somewhat slower than the Guardian modes max speed of 500kph. 300kph sounds reasonable, so lets put the Hovering mode (Flight, must remain within 4" of surface) at 30" X4 ncbt which at Speed 4 is 288 Kph.

Also the movement rates based on Accelleration and based on the reported maximum speed of the VF-1 in Jet mode (see above) don't match up. Thats okay. Simply assume that the speed generated by the accelleration stats are its max speed at sea level and this increases dramatically as one goes higher into the stratosphere. (Due to the decrease in Atmospheric Pressure) The maximum is only really important if you are trying to outrun someone or "beat the clock" so to speak.

With the information above all taken into account, I would probably place the Movement like this:

Jet Mode: Flying: 30" (x16)

--With Afterburner: +20" flight (doubles fuel consumption -1/2)

Guardian Mode: Flying: 26" (x8) Sideways Maneuverability/Backwards Movement

--Running: 20" (x2)

Battloid Mode: Running: 34" (x2)

--Hovering: 30" (x4) Must remain within 4" of a surface. Sideways Maneuverability/Backwards Movement

--Leaping: 20" (x2) Max leap distance, 80 meters.

Sound good?

Maneuverability:

The Variable Fighters (Veritechs) are exceptionaly maneuverable. The best way to model this (IMO) in addition to high Dex characteristics for the vehicle is to give the vehicle varying amounts of Movement Skill Levels to show its inherent agility.

Jet Mode: All told, Jet Mode should have about +4 Levels with Flight. This is because of the various abilities such as Variable Geometry Wings, and 2D Thrust Vectoring (same as the F-22 Raptor, the current maneuvering Champ on 21st century earth)

Guardian Mode: Walking, its pretty clumsy, so no Movement skill levels there. However, flying, because of its V/tol ability and configuration, it has +6 levels with Flight! In this mode it also has the Sideways Maneuverablity and Reverse Maneuverability advantages.

Battloid Mode: Its pretty agile all around, so the Battloid Mode gains +2 levels with all its movement modes (Running, Leaping and Hovering) and an additional +2 levels with Running (for a total of +4 available when using Running movement)

Thats all I have time for now. More to come later.

VERITECH SENSORS!

Here's some basic sensors to add...

AWG-20 Radar:

Detected Limited Class of Physical Objects (5) Detect Physical Objects

360^ Arc (5)

Ranged (5)

Sense (2)

Targeting (10)

Telescopic: +18Rmod (18)

IIF/bulky(-3/4)

Total cost: 26pts

Note: the use of the "Sense" adder is because once the Radar is turned on, either it picks up the target or it doesn't...it usually doesn't require active use on the part of the pilot, thus I thought the Sense adder appropriate.

Forward Looking Infrared Sensor (FLIR):

Detect Limited Class of Physical Objects (5) Detect Heat

Ranged (5)

Targeting (10)

Cost: 20

IIF/Bulky(-3/4)

Total Cost: 11pts

Note that this is considered part of the Sight Group.

Head/Turret mounted hybrid TV/Camera sensor system: Battloid mode only

(adds to pilots Sight Group perception)

+2 Perception (4)

240^ arc (5)

X64 Telescopic vision: +12Rmod (18)

Nightvision: +4 vs Darkness penalties (-1/2) (5)

Cost: 32

OIF/Bukly (-1)

Total Cost: 16pts.

To Be Continued...

Just a couple of points NuSoard.

First - The VF-1 Valkyrie did indeed fly in outer space on its own without the FAST pack boosters. In fact, in the original series, the FAST packs weren't introduced until late in the series. They were made to augment the Valkyries and make them into "Space Superiority Fighters".

I don't know what type of engine the Valkyrie's used for normal use, but it definitly could be used in space. Maybe some kind of variable jet/aerospike engine?

What is not in debate is that the VF-1 had difficulty reaching orbital velocity without a booster of some kind. It could be done, but it would take a while and use up almost all of the fuel. In episode 3, Roy Fokker heads up and out of the atmosphere in his VF-1S carrying Hikaru Ichijo and Lynn Minmei in the nose module of the wrecked VF-1D trainer tucked underneath in place of his gun pod. He landed on board the SDF-1 when it was in orbit.

Later in the series (in the aftermath of Space War 1), it was shown that there was a disposable booster pack that would allow ballistic takeoff from ground to orbit. It wasn't the FAST package though. It was a single unit that the VF-1 was fitted to that included multiple boosters and fuel. And the Valkyrie in this configuration was launched from a gantry because the booster wouldn't allow the use of the landing gear.

The FAST pack was meant solely for space superiority and not for atmosperic use. It was never shown being used while in the atmosphere.

The Battroid did not need a "surface effect" in order to hover. In the next to last episode, both Max and Miria were shown in their respective VF-1J Valkyries hovering several hundred feet up for a short amount of time while they discussed options. Their VF-1J's were shown clearly "standing" on their thrusters in mid-air. (You could assume reasonably that this sort of thing was not something the designers recommended. Or that it was not done for very long, as it might overheat the engines doing that in a relatively "stationary" mode. Then again, Max and Miria were the best of the best and knew their machines and how much they could push them. This might be a case of a "power stunt".)

One last thing - you might consider building the "Strike Valkyrie" variant from the Macross 1984 movie Do You Remember Love. It was a standard FAST pack Valkyrie, with one alteration - a double-barreled energy cannon of some kind on the right upper FAST pack booster instead of a missile pod. Whether that was a particle cannon or a laser of some kind I couldn't tell you. But I thought I'd mention it.

Sorry - hope I don't sound like I'm ragging on you. In all other particulars, I agree with your design choices and consider them excellent. Just that you missed some stuff and I thought I'd help jog your memory. :D

(Edit: Changed the section on escape velocity. I meant orbital velocity. Escape Velocity is the speed you need to reach to break free of Earth's gravity entirely and reach other planetary bodies, such as the Moon or Mars.)

Originally posted by Logan D

Just a couple of points NuSoard.

Sure!

First - The VF-1 Valkyrie did indeed fly in outer space on its own without the FAST pack boosters. In fact, in the original series, the FAST packs weren't introduced until late in the series. They were made to augment the Valkyries and make them into "Space Superiority Fighters".

Hmm...I'll trust you on that one because my memory of the early episodes is really fuzzy. Its been a very long time since I've seen them.

I don't know what type of engine the Valkyrie's used for normal use, but it definitly could be used in space. Maybe some kind of variable jet/aerospike engine?

The Macross Compendium states that the engines are "Thermonuclear Turbines"

I'm going to assume that means the Jet Turbine is powered by some sort of Nuclear Fusion or Fission reaction. If it is a Fusion engine, if the Jet intakes were closed off (and I believe there is prescedent for this within the series) then the Jet could probably be used as a rocket engine as well.

We all know that normal Jet engines cannot be used without an atmosphere, but this is a fictional Sci/Fi series, and far be it for me to say "Thats Impossible" within the context of such a series and I don't intend to start now.

What is not in debate is that the VF-1 had difficulty reaching orbital velocity without a booster of some kind. It could be done, but it would take a while and use up almost all of the fuel. In episode 3, Roy Fokker heads up and out of the atmosphere in his VF-1S carrying Hikaru Ichijo and Lynn Minmei in the nose module of the wrecked VF-1D trainer tucked underneath in place of his gun pod. He landed on board the SDF-1 when it was in orbit.

Later in the series (in the aftermath of Space War 1), it was shown that there was a disposable booster pack that would allow ballistic takeoff from ground to orbit. It wasn't the FAST package though. It was a single unit that the VF-1 was fitted to that included multiple boosters and fuel. And the Valkyrie in this configuration was launched from a gantry because the booster wouldn't allow the use of the landing gear.

Yep. The booster was made because the VF-1 is unable to break away from earth normal gravity on its own (or at least not without burning up most of its fuel) which is pretty typical. Later VF models can reach escape velocity without a booster because they have frightening amounts of engine power. (VF-19 and VF-22 especially)

The FAST pack was meant solely for space superiority and not for atmosperic use. It was never shown being used while in the atmosphere.

Of course. The FAST Packs destroy a VF's aerodynamic streamlining. While they would probably still be able to fly in an atmosphere, the FAST Packs are so heavy (with all that fuel and ammo) that it woud reduce speed drastically. Plus the use of "rocket fuel" in an atmosphere isn't nearly as efficient as a Turbine engine.

More later. (gotta get back to work)

Hey NuSoardGraphite, again I want to say thanks for the help. I'm sorry about the silent treatment, but I've been away from my computer for a while now. Also, I've been away from my books, so I havn't been able to work anymore on the V-tech. That doesn't mean I havn't been thinking about what to do for my V-tech development. Here's some thoughts:

1) "Scaled vehicle movement for use with maps" I was thinking of assigning a kind of 'Macro-movement' for Mechs so I can use my old Battletech maps and such. I was thinking 5" of movement might equal 1"on the map for Mechs. Meaning; the Battloid with 30" Running could make a full move of 6" on the map or 3" for a half move. What do you think?

2) "Altitude measurment" I have a few clear dice boxes from Chessex that seem to be the right size. I was thinking of standing the V-tech mini on top to signify it's flight and a D20 to rate it's altitude in 'Macro-inches'. I'm thinking this could be awesome for Guardian mode combat.

3) "Megascaled senses?" Palladium's Robotech books have a V-tech's radar range at 200 miles, Radio and vid-com at 600m and laser directed com at 1,500m <[is that even realistic?]. Should this be simulated with extra levels of Telescopic (how many levels is 200m anyway?) or should we opt for Megascale?

The VF-1 Valkyrie did indeed fly in outer space on its own without the FAST pack boosters.

Logan D beat me to the punch on this one. I downloaded a couple of early episodes of Robotech off Kazaa and indeed V-techs do dogfight without the Fast Packs. So, looks like they'll go on my "optional equipment" list.

Also I'd like to note that yesterday I used TUV to whip up a villain team jet and a villain's armed hoverbike. It was a lot a fun and it got me past some of my trepidation I was feeling because of working on the V-tech [hey, it's a pretty complex vehicle ;)]. I'm now VERY excited about playing a vehicle focused game using Hero rules and I've got you to thank for keeping my mind on Hero whenever the mood took me to try this thing.

Here's a little background on my game idea, see what you think. It's a rewrite of history, the SDF-1 is developed on earth, but a highly secret project to create another SDF on Mars is nearly complete when the Zentraedi attack. The plan is that by the time Kharzai(?) attacks Mars, the SDF-2 will be complete and the Flying Tiger squadron (my players) will be serving aboard her. Of course, Kharzai will tear the new SDF-2 up, but not before it engages it's own space fold. Big surprise, it goes haywire just like the Macross' did and leaves the SDF-2 on the opposite side of the solar system from Earth. Now, their saga mirrors the Macross' as the SDF-2 tries to make it to Earth and to reinforcements. It'll be interesting to see how my players affect the outcome of history.

Thanks again and tell me if you come up with any ideas for names for my SDF-2 (Macross being taken already...). I was thinking "Yamato" in honor of Starblazers.

Originally posted by Logan D

The Battroid did not need a "surface effect" in order to hover. In the next to last episode, both Max and Miria were shown in their respective VF-1J Valkyries hovering several hundred feet up for a short amount of time while they discussed options. Their VF-1J's were shown clearly "standing" on their thrusters in mid-air. (You could assume reasonably that this sort of thing was not something the designers recommended. Or that it was not done for very long, as it might overheat the engines doing that in a relatively "stationary" mode. Then again, Max and Miria were the best of the best and knew their machines and how much they could push them. This might be a case of a "power stunt".)

Well, as far as this goes, the best indication of what a VF-1 could do with its thrusters while in Battloid mode comes straight from the videogames (they are considered part of Cannon by Kawamori himself, as he helped work on all of them)

A Battloid could indeed "hover" in mid-air, but its flight maneuverability is somewhat limited compared to the Jet and GERWALK modes.

In the upper atmosphere, where the pressure is considerably less (above 30,000 meters?) they can attain true flight. Obviously, since their thrusters can be used in space, Battloid flying in space is no problem.

However, in lower altitudes, and most especially near ground levels, the Battloid mode has severe difficulties in attempting full flight. Since the Battloid is not at all aerodynamic, and does not have wings or a lifting body shape like the Jet and GERWALK modes, it requires around 80% of its thrust just to be able to keep itself airborne. This leaves little thrust for accelleration and maneuvering. The Battloid can use its thrusters to achieve a "Surface Effect" like a hovercraft, and its quite agile when it does this. Its boosters can also be used to augment leaping (just like Mobile Suits from Gundam). Using its normal thrusters to achieve something akin to full flight is possible, but clunky and fuel exhausting.

On the Macross Compendium site (see link above) the GERWALK is listed as having a Maximum Hovering Time. There is no flight or hovering performance listed with the Battloid, so I'm assuming here that the Battloid at least shares the same hovering characteristics as the GERWALK. (this is reasonable because the weight is the same. If the GERWALK is using its thrusters for VTOL, it would perform much like the Battloid, but because of its areodynamic body shape, can attain "full flight" unlike a Battloid)

Max Hovering Time:

Using Thrusters:11,500 kg (xg) x2 Thrust 420 Seconds

Using Afterburner: 23,000 kg (xg) X2 Thrust 070 Seconds

As you can see, using the standard thrusters, it can "Hover" for a maximum of 7 minutes (420/60) before its thrusters "Overheat" or whatever the reason for the time limit (I highly doubt its a fuel limit)

Using the Afterburner, it can "Hover" for 70 seconds...10 seconds over a minute.

Now, with the considerable increase in thrust when using the Afterburner, the Battloid would most definately be able to attain true flight when Reheat is engaged...but it can do this for only a minute!

Thus I would probably write up the Battloid flight system as such:

Flight: 30" (x4) Full Reverse (+1/4) Sideways Maneuverability (+1/2)

Hovering/Ground Effect only (-1/4)

With Afterburner: +20" (x4) Full Reverse (+1/4) Sideways Maneuverability (+1/2)

Thus, when it uses its normal thrust, it can "Hover" when at high altitude..not true flight, but the ability to keep from going into a "stall" (though a skilled pilot can instigate a controlled fall with a Combat Piloting roll) and a bit of maneuvering ability...perhaps the ability to perform Half moves. When above a surface, it can use its thrusters to create a ground effect and maneuver with great agility.

When the Afterburner is engaged, it attains the ability to attain true flight, but can only do so for a limited amount of time.

Any ideas on how to limit the Hovering time of the Battloid and GERWALK modes? What limitations would you use for that (my initial instinct is to use a single continuing charge that recovers...the recovery being the "cool down time")

One last thing - you might consider building the "Strike Valkyrie" variant from the Macross 1984 movie Do You Remember Love. It was a standard FAST pack Valkyrie, with one alteration - a double-barreled energy cannon of some kind on the right upper FAST pack booster instead of a missile pod. Whether that was a particle cannon or a laser of some kind I couldn't tell you. But I thought I'd mention it.

Oh, abso-fraggin-lutely!

I adore the Strike Valkyrie. Even though techinically it doesn't exist in the Macross universe (considering that within the Macross universe, Love, Do you remember is a movie of the events of the first Tv series....pretty slick eh?) it will make an appearance in my next Macross game, for certain. (likely piloted by a certain "Genius" pilot)

Sorry - hope I don't sound like I'm ragging on you. In all other particulars, I agree with your design choices and consider them excellent. Just that you missed some stuff and I thought I'd help jog your memory. :D

Oh, don't sweat it. I'm not one to allow criticism to bug me. I take it at face value. As it turns out, you are right about the Valkyries being able to fly in Vacuum without the FAST Packs...it just doesn't have a very large operating range, thats all (and is kinda slow in comparison to the FAST version).

Hey NuSoardGraphite, again I want to say thanks for the help. I'm sorry about the silent treatment, but I've been away from my computer for a while now. Also, I've been away from my books, so I havn't been able to work anymore on the V-tech. That doesn't mean I havn't been thinking about what to do for my V-tech development. Here's some thoughts:

No problemo. I've been wanting to write up the VF-1 anyway, so you just got me started is all. I'm doing this as much for myself as I am for people here.

1) "Scaled vehicle movement for use with maps" I was thinking of assigning a kind of 'Macro-movement' for Mechs so I can use my old Battletech maps and such. I was thinking 5" of movement might equal 1"on the map for Mechs. Meaning; the Battloid with 30" Running could make a full move of 6" on the map or 3" for a half move. What do you think?

The old Robot Warriors game used Scaled movement of 50 meters per Hex. Personaly, I think a scale of X10 is appropriate (20 meters per hex) as that keeps the math nice and simple.

Your method sounds pretty good also. Divide everything by 5 and go from there. Again, nice and simple math for faster gameplay.

2) "Altitude measurment" I have a few clear dice boxes from Chessex that seem to be the right size. I was thinking of standing the V-tech mini on top to signify it's flight and a D20 to rate it's altitude in 'Macro-inches'. I'm thinking this could be awesome for Guardian mode combat.

Great idea! I'll keep that in mind for my own games!

3) "Megascaled senses?" Palladium's Robotech books have a V-tech's radar range at 200 miles, Radio and vid-com at 600m and laser directed com at 1,500m <[is that even realistic?]. Should this be simulated with extra levels of Telescopic (how many levels is 200m anyway?) or should we opt for Megascale?

Well, I'm not sure about those ranges. The information on the Compendium sight doesn't get into that. If you want to keep the ranges the same as the Robotech RPG, I'll give you some more accurate numbers later on (I don't have my book with me now and I'm almost out of time!)

Here's a little background on my game idea, see what you think. It's a rewrite of history, the SDF-1 is developed on earth, but a highly secret project to create another SDF on Mars is nearly complete when the Zentraedi attack. The plan is that by the time Kharzai(?) attacks Mars, the SDF-2 will be complete and the Flying Tiger squadron (my players) will be serving aboard her. Of course, Kharzai will tear the new SDF-2 up, but not before it engages it's own space fold. Big surprise, it goes haywire just like the Macross' did and leaves the SDF-2 on the opposite side of the solar system from Earth. Now, their saga mirrors the Macross' as the SDF-2 tries to make it to Earth and to reinforcements. It'll be interesting to see how my players affect the outcome of history.

Oooh. Sounds nifty. Keeps the flavor of the original Tv show without messing with continuity too much. Keep me posted on how it works out for you...

Thanks again and tell me if you come up with any ideas for names for my SDF-2 (Macross being taken already...). I was thinking "Yamato" in honor of Starblazers.

No problemo. It is likely that this post will continue to grow as I come up with more ideas for the Valkyries. Warning though...I subscribe to the original version of Macross rather than the Robotech version, and the original Macross has expanded a lot in the past 10 years, so this discussion is likely to go into the Macross Plus zone at some point in the future.

Thats good for you though, because you can use the more advanced VF's in Macross Plus and Macross 7 as new/improved Veritechs for your Robotech campaign :)

Happy Hunting!

(P.S. Yamato sounds fine to me!)