Thoughts on the Secret Service questions, version 2.0

Mark Rand

I'm tweaking the original idea slightly. In late July of 2005, Jack Ryan became Dubya's National Security Advisor. A Secret Service agent was assigned to him at that time. Two days later, the rest of the Ryan family were assigned agents. The only Ryan child that wasn't with the rest of the family was Holly, who was 1n her 20s, married, and a circus performer.

Although Jack and Dubya differed in their opinions about several things, Jack supportedthe President. When Mr. Chenney died of a heart attack in early August, Jack Ryan was asked to succeed him. Jack agreed. Just after Jack's confirmation, which took place after Mr. Chenney's funeral, Jack was confirmed as the new Vice President.

As he and his family were about to walk into the House Chamber, where he would be sworn in before a joint session of Congress, the Cabinet, Supreme Court, Diplomatic Corps, and the heads of most federal agencies, a hijacked airliner smashed into the Capitol Building, killing everyone inside. The Ryans, who were outside, were only shaken up.

Jack was quickly sworn in as President and, since he was the entire federal government, things happened fast.

Our story begins on the road, where Secret Service agent Connie Wells joins up with Holly, the National Security Advisor's daughter, on the grounds of Circus Ross.

Notes: This revamping will enable me to change some circus vehicles and bring in a small group of nuns. For those of you who don't know, according to my Kelly Miller Circus routebooks, three nuns travel with them. Although I don't know what order they belong to, they are referred to as "Little Sisters".

Next up, we join Connie on the road.

Re: Thoughts on the Secret Service questions, version 2.0

It was circus day. Connie left the motel and walked across the parking to the gravel circus lot which was next door. As her eyes adjusted to the pre-dawn light, she noted the vehicles parked along one side and the show-owned motorhome parked near the main entrance. Looking around carefully, she spotted the wooden surveyer's stakes in the ground and the woman walking the lot.

"Help you," the woman, who was dressed like a working cowgirl, asked as she saw Connie.

"Maybe," Connie said, handing the cowgirl her badge.

"Been expecting you," the cowgirl said. "I'm Mary West, the show's 24-hour advance agent. Everyone calls me 'Cowgirl'. You can see why."

"I see," Connie said. "I'm Connie Wells. Pleasure to meet you, Cowgirl."

"Likewise," Cowgirl said. "Show vehicles should start to roll in within the half hour. I don't think Holly will be in before 7:45."

"I see," Connie said. "Can you show me around the lot?"

"Sure."

As they were about to start the tour, Cowgirl said, "You could leave your luggage in my motorhome."

"Agreed." They entered and Connie placed her luggage on the sofa.

Cowgirl then said, "Before I forget, I have one of our two-way radios and some papers for you."

"Fine," Connie said, clipping the radio to the belt of her jeans and tucking the papers into her laptop case. "Let's start the tour."

Once at the far side of the gravel lot, Cowgirl said, "This is the back yard, where the workers and performers live. On our far left will be a trailer with the portable toilets that the employees use. On our far right will be an old type-C schoolbus that we now use as our big top crew bus. Back here, we'll also have a couple of power distribution boxes. Also, one of our vehicles is rigged to carry lights for the back yard."

"Nice," Connie said.

"Moving forward, we have, left to right, the spool truck, which carries the rolled up big top, the visitors' facility, which is handicap accessable, and the horses. There's spaces between each."

"Good to know," Connie said.

The tour continues next.

They walked into an oval of stakes. "The stakes mark the big top stake line," Cowgirl said. "It's five feet from that line to the sidewall. Just inside the sidewall, near the spool truck, is a circus cannon. Holly is fired from it, into a net that's the length of the big top away."

"You're kidding."

"Nope. If they can safely get the cannon and net set up, they'll do it." Pointing, Cowgirl asked, "Can you see that small gap in the stakes?"

"Yes."

"That's the front door, or patron's entrance. The back, or stage, door is wider. There's a plastic bin by it to receive my wooden stakes."

"I see it."

"That's where we're going." They walked to the back door. "The stake on your right is for the generator truck. The one on our left is for the cat truck. The two sets of two stakes mark this edge of the upper midway and, on the cat truck, the fence line."

"What's that lone stake for?" Connie asked.

"The lowboy," Cowgirl replied. "It carries the light tower for the upper midway."

Tour continues next.

"I see," Connie said. "Do those two sets of two stakes mark this side of the midway?"

"Yes. Those mark the edges of the menagerie fencing. You can also see the stakes for the menagerie trucks."

"I see them. I also see seven more stakes."

"Very good," Cowgirl said. "Follow me." They walked between the menagerie truck stakes until Cowgirl stopped. She then said, "Our three elephants are here. On our far right is the veterinarian's semi. On our immediate right is the bus our elephant trainer and his wife, our horse trainer live in. Directly ahead of us is the elephant truck. Behind it is the mechanics' shop truck. Our nurse's bus is on the immediate left with the pie car just beyone it. The cookhouse is just beyond the pie car."

"I get it. Everything has a specific position."

"Right, of course it only works on a lot that has enough room for us to spread out."

"I understand," Connie said.

"Good. Front yard is beyond the shop truck. That's where the bosses have their motorhomes."

"I understand so far," Connie said.

"Good. So far, we've been looking at the upper section of the midway. There's also a lower section. The marquee separates them. However, since it's a tent instead of a truck, I've marked the corners."

"I see them."

"Good. On the left side we have the pony ride, unicorn show, pit show, and Moonbounce. The concessions stand and sideshow are on the right side. The three nuns who travel with the show park behind the concessions stand. The office, which is driven by my younger sister, Rebecca, who also dresses in Western garb sits in the middle of the lower midway. That semi has a light tower on it."

"Does she have a nickname?" Connie asked.

"Yeah, everyone calls her 'Becky'," Cowgirl replied. "Since she's a performer, she doesn't have a real nickname."

"Oh." After thinking over what she'd heard, Connie asked, "Did you say 'unicorn show'?"

"Our uniforn is a female domestic goat with a rare deformity of the generative tissues that caused her horns to grow together. We charge people 25 cents to view her."

"What's a pit show?"

"We display spiders, snakes, lizards, and such."

"Oh."

"Our people live in semis, motorhomes, trailers, and converted schoolbuses."

"When you say semis, you're talking about in the cab sleeper, right?"

"No, Connie. We've converted trailers into mobile bunkhouses."

"Nice. What about the schoolbuses?"

"A number of people have converted old 35 and 40 foot International Harvister type-C schoolbuses into motorhomes. The living room of one of the 40 footers was furthur converted into an office for our nurse."

"Nice. What does type-C refer to?"

"It means conventional. It's the schoolbus with the engine that sticks out in front."

"I see," Connie said as a truck rolled in.

"Spool truck," Cowgirl said, walking to it. "It carries the rolled up big top. I'll park it off to the side for now." She did, then waited. They didn't have to wait long before Becky rolled up in the office. Some towners were laughing when she took a sledge hammer, stake, and cable from a storage compartment.

"All show vehicles that get power have to be grounded," Cowgirl explained. "Don't worry. Becky knows what she's doing." Becky gave the stake three light taps with the hammer while her shotgun held it. She nodded, he left, and she drove it another foot with two hard hits.

"She's good," Connie said as the first water truck pulled in. Looking at it, she noted the stakedriver attached to the truck's rear and the toilet trailer it towed. It dropped the trailer where Cowgirl wanted it, then joined the spool truck.

The generator truck and a schoolbus came next. Both were quickly parked. The local civil defense unit showed next, to take care of any emergencies. Cowgirl told them that the show had a nurse and she didn't think that they would be needed. They said that they were staying and she said that the show owner would make that decision.

The vet's semi showed up next. Following it in quick succession were the elephant semi, the nurse's bus, the pie car, and the second water truck/stakedriver/toilet trailer. The police, an ambulance, and a medevac helicopter came next. "The county manager thought our being here would be a good idea," one officer told Cowgirl.

"The civil defense people had the same idea," Cowgirl said. "I'll let Mr. Ross know when he comes and tell our nurse that you're here."

"Good enough," the officer said as Connie heard a few more ground stakes being driven. This was followed my more stakes being driven, this time at the pie car.

The horses, cage, and two menagerie semis came in next, followed by a pickup with a trailer in tow and a schoolbus. The pole truck followed, with the lowboy and big top crew bus following in its wake. "This is amazing," Connie said when Cowgirl got a chance to pause for a moment.

"There's still more to come," Cowgirl said. "Here's part of the lower midway." Two vans arrived, one towing the pit show, the other the unicorn trailer. The concessions trailer followed with a circus cannon close behind. Five schoolbuses were behind it.

"Any idea when Holly'll arrive?" Connie asked during a break in the activities.

"She's here," Cowgirl replied. She'll come for you once she's ready."

Fine," Connie said as the pole truck was being unloaded and the big top stakes were being driven.

Holly chose that moment to arrive. She and Connie shook hands and, after gathering Connie's luggage, the two women walked toward one of the buses.

"These are the coolest vehicles," Holly said. "Athough they look like busses on the outside, they're motorhomes inside."

"Nice," Connie said after a quick tour. "Where do I stow my gear?"

"Here," Holly replied, pointing to a locker. "The sofa folds out into a bed." Once Connie's gear was stowed, Holly walked to the trailer that the cannon towed, opened it, and they went inside. "Most of this stuff is for the cannon act," Holly explained. "On the right, you can see the safety net and poles. Behind it is a hand truck carrying a sandbag that weighs what I do. On the left, we have the stakes and sledge hammer, powder smoke and flash charges, my aerialist stuff in individual bags, our juggling gear, and spare rigging equipment."

"Who sets your equipment up?" Connie asked.

"Me," Holly replied. "I also inspect the gear every time I set it up."

"Good to know," Connie said as an air horn sounded.

"They're getting ready to raise the tent," Holly said, grabbing a bag from the truck, opening it, and doing a quick inspection of its contents. "Let's go."

They joined the group of workers and performers at the end where the tent was being raised from and slowly moved forward, attaching pulleys with ropes running through them and poles of various sizes to the great vinyl roof.

After one half hour, the tent was up and the elephants left, with Rumiko, the show's black-clad veterinarian, following. "Rumiko's cool," Holly said as they walked back to the equipment trailer. "She bonded with the black leopard and mountain lion in the menagerie when they were born and brought them here from the zoo she once worked at."

"They think she's their mother?" Connie asked.

"Yeah," Holly replied. "Isn't it amazing?"

"If you say so," Connie said as Holly began to assemble her single trapeze. After that, she assembled her hair hang rig. Once they were up, both women stopped by Cat's bus and Holly was weighed and had her hands checked.

"I'm an aerialist and human cannonball," Holly explained when she saw Connie's expression."I watch my weight and take care of my hands."

"I see," Connie said. "Where to next?"

"Time to set the cannon and net up," Holly replied.

"Okay," Connie said, looking around.

"Have you ever been to a circus?" Holly asked.

"Once," Connie replied. "It played in an arena. I might add that this is the first time I've been backstage at a circus."

"You didn't attend a circus," Holly said. "You attended a circus-like show. A real circus can be experienced only under the big top."

"How do you keep from getting blown to bits by the powder when you're loaded into the cannon?" Connie asked.

"We use only enough powder to make the bang," Holly replied. "I'm actually launched by compressed air. I go 0-50 mph in one fifth of a second. At takeoff, I pull 9Gs and I hit the net with a force of 12Gs. If I hit the net wrong, I break something."

It took two hours to get the cannon and net set up and adjusted properly. Since she didn't know what was going on, Connie just stood out of the way and watched.

There was a loud BOOM as they tested the cannon with a sandbag, causing one of the civil defense people to ask a circus staffer if anything was wrong? The staffer replied that there wasn't, and even if there was, they'd have called the show's nurse for assistance. The police, paramedics, and medevac crew, having been briefed on the cannon by circus owner David Michael Ross, just waited to see if they were called.

Once the cannon was up, it was lunchtime. After lunch, Susan Smith Lopez, the show's legally blind wardrobe mistress, took her guide dog, Sugar, a golden retriever, to Rumiko for a quick checkup and claw trim. Since Rumiko could mentally communicate with animals, she had a good rapport with them.

At the same time, Holly, Connie, and an insulin-dependent elephant worker entered Cat's bus. the civil defense crew jumped to the wrong conclusion and entered too, insisting on helping. Connie, trying hard not to laugh, invited them in. Inside, they saw the worker setting up his blood sugar meter on the desk and Cat weighing Holly. Both results were normal.

"Where to now?" Connie asked.

"Our bus," Holly replied. "I have to change into my sideshow costume, put my makeup on, and get my snake."

"Snake?"

"Sassy, she's an 18 foot long Bermese python," Holly replied. "I'm the snake charmer and electric girl in the sideshow. Raul swallows swords and eats fire."

"Oh," Connie said as they passed the elephants. "Anything else I should know?"

"Like most aerialists, I wear a flesh-colored bodystocking under my costume," Holly replied.

"Where do you usually change?"

"Due to time constraints, we usually change in the wardrobe area." Holly paused for a moment, then continued, "When you go in the back door, there is a seat wagon on your left. The wardrobe area is behind that seat wagon. Rumiko also stays in that area when animals are in the tent. The cat run's on the right side of the back door. It's taken down after the cat act, revealing the bandstand, which also houses the public address system and the big top's electrical distribution panel."

"I see," Connie said as they arrived at Holly and Raul's bus. "What do you do in the main show?"

"I'm on the single trapeze, I assist my husband with his juggling, I ride a horse in spec, I hang my my hair in the aerial ballet, and I get shot out of a cannon. Once we finish in the sideshow, we'll come back here. After I change into my trapeze costume and touch up my makeup, we'll go to the big top. There, I'll leave my juggling and spec costumes and my makeup case with Susan."

"What about the hair hang and cannon costumes?"

"The hair hang costume is the spec costume without a few accessories and I have enough time to change into my cannonball costume here. In fact, it goes over my sideshow costume."

"Interesting," Connie said.

Holly made a quick change and emerged in costume. " I like your long black gloves," Connie said.

"Thanks," Holly said. "They're sleeves with bracelet-length gloves over them. That way, I can appear gloved for the snake charming part of the sideshow and ungloved for the electric girl part."

"Nice," Connie said, taking time to pet Muffin, Holly and Raul's grey tabby cat, who had been sitting on the sofa.

"Yeah," Holly said, grabbing Sassy's carrier before they left.

As they walked toward the sideshow, Connie noted a number of people wearing polo shirts with the circus logo on them. "I should wear something like that when you're performing," Connie said.

"Talk to Gary," Holly said. "Rumiko even wears one."

"Black?" Connie asked, remembering the vet's garb that morning.

"Of course," Holly replied.

The sideshow ran smoothly. After doors was called, Connie talked to Gary, who said that he'd make the arrangements for Connie to get a few polo shirts. The ladies then went back to Holly's bus.

(note: Doors is the signal to open the marquee gates and let the patrons into the upper midway and big top.)

After a quick costume change and makeup touchup, they headed for the big top. On the way, they were joined by Becky, whose costume was identical to Holly's. "We both do single trapeze," Becky explained. "Holly's over ring number one, I'm over ring number three."

"Yeah, and no net for either of us," Holly added.

As they neared the big top, Connie spotted Rumiko talking to Diana, the cat trainer. Entering the tent, Holly and Becky walked to the wardrobe area and passed their stuff to Susan, who wore a red circus polo short and had been having a tender moment with Sugar.

"I may ask Gary about getting some of those," Connie told Susan.

"They're not bad," Susan said. "Another possibility is the jumpsuit uniform our prop crew wears. Talk to Gary. He'll help you figure something out."

"I will," Connie said.

Noting Connie's puzzled look, Susan said, "Although my visual acuity is 20/40 corrected to 20/20, my visual field has a diameter of 12 degrees."

"I wasn't going to ask," Connie said as Becky stowed her glasses, the ringmaster sounded the 15 minute whistle, and the band paused between show tunes.

"It looked like you wanted to," Susan said as Sugar lept to the ground and settled down for a nap.

Despite the apparent chaos backstage, the show ran smoothly. All too soon, the evening show, and sideshow had concluded and the show was torn down.

As she watched, Connie noted that sweats and jumpsuits were the most common garb of the performers during the teardown. Holly quickly took down her hair hang and single trapeze while Raul secured the cannon, then, they took down the net together. The pulleys would remain until the tent itself was dropped.

Finally, the tent was down and packed away. Holly, Raul, and Connie had the next day's route slips. "Remember, as usual, we have a five o'clock wakeup call."

A horn sounded the next morning. "Five o'clock," Holly said in a cheerfull voice. "Time to wake up, Connie."

"I'm up," she said as Muffin, who was asleep on the chair across from her, yawned, showing her fangs, then went back to sleep. "Now what?"

"Get yourself together, then go to the cookhouse for coffee and a pastry," Raul replied.

"Nice," Connie said, pulling her sweats and running shoes on.

"Where'd I put my flashlight?" Holly mumbled to herself as she looked through drawers.

"Here," Raul said, handing her the headlight she preferred before grabbing his.

"Set," Connie said, grabbing her own flashlight.

As they headed for the cookhouse, they could see people cleaning up the lot and hear truck engines. "DOT regulations require that semi engines be warmed up for one half hour before moving," Holly explained. "Since the first trucks have to be rolling by 5:10 a.m., coffee and pastries have to be ready for the drivers by 4:35. This means that Janice has to wake up at 4 a.m."

"Guess she doesn't get too much sleep," Connie said.

"She catches up in the afternoon," Holly said. "Her daughter, Cat, tries to do the same, especially since she's on 24 hour call."

"Cat's the nurse practitioner, right?" Connie asked.

"Right," Holly said as they came to the cookhouse.

"Office is rolling," Raul said as it left the lot. More vehicles followed it out.

"We'll head out at 5:45," Holly said.

"Fine by me," Connie said, munching her pecan roll.

When they returned to the bus, Holly stowed the sewer hose and prepared the bus for the trip to the next lot.

"Where does Sassy's carrier go?" Connie asked.

"On the sofa that doubles as your bed," Holly replied. "I'll secure it once I get Muffin harnessed and fasten the harness to the seat belts."

Sally and Candy, showgirls and Holly's shotguns, came in at 5:40. "Looks like we're ready," Candy, a redhead, said. Sally, on the other hand, went back to sleep once her safety belt was secure.

"Rolling," Holly called out as the bus started. "According to the route slip, there's a left turn off the lot, then a right turn after that."

"Yeah," Candy said as they passed Toni Grey, the welder and truck dispatcher, and waved to her. "Three left."

"Got them," Holly said. "First warning right one half block ahead."

"Okay, I see the arrows now, Holly," Candy said. "See them, Connie?"

"Not yet," Connie replied, understanding that Holly and Candy were discussing the signs that had been put up to mark the route. "I still don't completely understand them."

"Didn't Cowgirl give you a bunch of papers?" Holly asked as they stopped for a red light.

"Yeah," Connie replied. "I just glanced through them. Why?"

"An explanation of the arrow code was included," Candy said.

"Candy, Raul, and I decided what should be included in the papers you were given," Holly added.

Candy gave Connie a quick explanation of the arrow code and how Cowgirl posted them. She then asked, "What's that one?" as Hlly drove through a green light.

"I'm trying to remember what two arrows down and one to the right is," Connie said as Holly eased the bus to the right.

"Second warning right," Holly called back. "We turn right at the next corner."

"Oh," Connie said.

"Although the driver should watch the arrows as well as the road, the shotgun, if she knows what she's doing, watches the arrows, too. While this is Sally's first year with the circus, I joined the show five years ago, when Holly did, and I've always rode shotgun for her."

"I see," Connie said as Holly eased the bus around the corner. The lesson continued on the way to the next lot. When they arrived, Cowgirl guided the bus to it's parking place.

(notes: so far, I've given you what passes for a typical day on the road. Since we have a fair amont of time to get caught up on, I'll just detail the unusual happenings Connie finds herself in.)

The next two days were as normal as days on a circus can be. The day after that, while the circus was on asphalt, it rained all day. The next day, two workers got into a fist fight on the lower midway. Cat patched both of them up before Gary yelled at both of them.

Various inspectors showed up the day after the fight. Most were okay, but the animal inspector game Rumiko fits. The next day, animal rights activists showed up for the first time. The fairground officials had enough sense to make them stay outside.

Meanwhile, things were heating up in Washington. The NID and Senator Robert Kinsey were verbally fighting with the CIA. Dr. Ryan took the CIA's part, Vice President Chenney took the NID's part (probably because the President needed Kinsey's support on Iraq.)

The next two days were peaceful, and rainy. The day after that, animal rights activists were back. This time, they got into a large fight with the townspeople. Someone called the police, who brought two ambulances and the press with them. The ambulance crews dealt with the minor cases while Cat handled the serious ones.

More activists showed up the next day. They yelled, threw spray cans, attacked Susan, who was with her guide dog, Rumiko, who had her leopard and cougar with her, and Diana, who was by the big cats. They even broke open cages. That's when they were surprised.

Ebony, the leopard, and Maya, the cougar, went after the punks that attacked Rumiko and drove them into the arms of the police that someone had called. Lucy, the zebra, kicked one in the gut. Susan's father, Paul, the band's drummer, punched out the man that attacked his daughter.

Diana's cats were everywhere, going after the punks and forcing them into the hands of the police. Most of the punks were easy to round up, but Tracy, a liger, had to bite one on the leg and drag him over to the police. Cat examined the leg and stated that Tracy hadn't broken the skin.

Once the punks were all accounted for, Diana's cats walked to her and sat on the ground in the same order they are in the show. At the same time, Rumiko's cats stood on their hind legs, placed their forepaws on her shoulders, and licked her before returning to their cages.

(notes: for those of you who don't know, a liger is the offspring of a male lion and a femal tiger. The offspring of a female lion and a male tiger is a tigon. Rumiko was bringing Ebony and Maya back from the veterinary semi. Since they both think she's their mother, she didn't need them on a leash.)

The police, paramedics, and press were everywhere. While Cat handled the serious cases, the paramedics took care of the minor ones. The police requested samples from Tracy and Lucy. Since the animals knew her, Rumiko took them.

At the same time, other officers examined the cages and took photographs and fingerprints. Since Susan's glasses had been broken in the attack, Sugar took her back to the motorhome to retreive her spare pair. That's when she received a surprise. Sugar could speak.

"I don't believe this," Susan said.

"I don't either," Sugar said in a soft, pleasant voice. "It probably happened after a can landed near us and stuff started spraying out of it."

"Something must have been in there that altered your intelligence and gave you the ability to speak," Susan said. "Who knows about this?"

"I'm sure most of us animals do," Sugar replied. "Rumiko probably does, too."

"Should this become public knowledge?" Susan asked.

"No," Sugar replied.

A quick note before we continue with the story. When I decided to keep Sassy the Burmese python in Holly's bus, I forgot how much space and care she would need. Sassy's cage is about the size of a child's play pen and she is kept in one of the sideshow vehicles.

After Susan came back from getting her glasses fixed, Mr. Ross called everyone together in the big top. "The police won't be finished for a while," he said. "Once that's done, we can have the cage truck rapaired. That, of course, means no shows today. That's the bad news.

"The good news is this. Since tomorrow's lot is under four feet of water, and the sponsor can't find us a new lot, we're staying here tomorrow. All of today's tickets will be honored tomorrow and the tickets for tomorrow's show will be honored tomorrow and the next day. That's all."

He left the tent and everyone slowly followed. The animal people met and discussed what problems the animals were facing and how to best care for them. "The animals are speaking English," Rumiko said.

"Then, my ears weren't playing tricks on me," Diana said.

"No," Rumiko responded. "The gas must've done something to alter their mental abilities." The discussion continued.

I think we can conclude this thread without continuing the story.

When Holly's father becomes President, she'll have two agents with her, one staying as close as possible, the other watching the area. Both will have show radios as well as their own. A third may travel with the 24-hour advance agent, but that will be a separate detail.

A lot of what they do will depend on what Holly does in the show. It'll be easier to protect her if she's the cookhouse/pie car manager, nurse, or wardrobe mistress instead of an aerialist/human cannonball or cat trainer.

Some of this will depend on when and how he becomes President and where he is. If it's during the State of the Union Address, it'll give them more tome to make plans to protect her on the road instead of doing it on the fly.

The Secret Service will, once they find out about undead and Slayers, contact Buffy and company for help. The people she sends will, most likely, work as aides to either the President or members of the senior staff that get to travel with him.

The First and Second Ladies' details will have to cope with two carreer women, the First Lady being head nurse at GW's eye clinic and the Second Lady being an eye surgeon and professor in the medical school who does her clinical work there.

With the Second Daughter being one of three Slayers in the campaign city, and a high school student, her agent will be a little frazzled at first, but will soon get used to it.

I will, more than likely continue this concept with a new thread devoted to the adventures of an advance agent as he, or she, visits interesting places to make sure things go the right way.

Thank you for your attention.