Shrinking Costs

MarkusDark

Originally posted by DevoDog

Nope, 1st Edition of Champions (poorly typeset, missing the page on SFX, and EC's costing a flat rate, give you 3 powers at 1/2 the points in the EC) had Shrinking at 5/level.

The only reason why it's so embedded in my brain is that one of my first characters was a shrinker.

Shrinking and EC's are (IIRC) the two "powers" that changed between 1st and 2nd editions.

Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about. Now I'm going to have to dig through all of these boxes of packed up stuff to PROVE YOU WRONG! Bwah ha ha haha ha!

Or, refresh my memory, as the case may be. At least life has purpose again...

Originally posted by GamePhil

Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about. Now I'm going to have to dig through all of these boxes of packed up stuff to PROVE YOU WRONG! Bwah ha ha haha ha!

Or, refresh my memory, as the case may be. At least life has purpose again...

Be sure to let me know. The other difference was in the artwork on the "blank" character sheets. They had two artists who did the sketches used on the 1st edition sheets while for 2nd edition, I believe that Mark Williams did all of the sketches.

1st Ed to 2nd Ed had lots of differences. They lost colour art on the cover, got a box and some dice, threw in a map...

Mechanics? OH YEAH!

- Objects (and entangles) got defenses

- Spreading energy blasts was introduced

- bonus damage to HKA's was capped at the DC for the killing attack,

- Active points in a multipower slot were limted to the pool (yes, in 1st Ed I could put lots of limits on and get 120 Active Points from a 40 pt pool)

- Stacking multipowers and elemental controls became illegal (VPP's - oh, they didn't come along until much later)

- Entangles only cost END to throw, not for every phase they stayed up!

- Force Wall became the "wall" we see today

- Drains and Transfers could be applied to POWERS, not just characteristics (there were no other adjustment powers at the time)

- Hardened Defenses were introduced to defend against Armor Piercing (penetrating>? Didn't exist yet)

- Berserk was modified so "in combat" was no longer automatically included (Enraged? What's that?)

- Susceptibilities could be STUN only!

- Competent DNPC's got 50 points (instead of 20)

Ah yes...memories

Hard to believe that was over 20 years ago!

Oh, and the rule book was HUGE - 80 pages, up from 64 pages in 1st Edition (games have changed a bit over the years, haven't they?).

Missed one! Missile Deflection became a power instead of a skill (for all those characters who needed a focus or didn't, and to break it up to "thrown/bullets/energy beams".

[And I'm going from a "preview article" from Different Worlds #27, so I don't have the books in front of me, but I think Shrinking stayed 10 points throughout.]

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

1st Ed to 2nd Ed had lots of differences. They lost colour art on the cover, got a box and some dice, threw in a map...

OMG, I'm a newb! I only have 2nd Edition I have discovered!

I hang my head in shame...

Wonder if they still have that 1st Edition book?

More differences than I remember

Wow! A lot more differences than I remember.

Of course, mind you, this was over 20 years ago.

Minor correction though regarding 2nd Edition: some versions of 2nd edition had a color front cover. All 2nd editions that I've seen had a reference chart on the back while 1st edition had art.

Oh yeah, and I think 2nd edition was the first to have pictures of the sample villains.