Shrinking Costs

MarkusDark

Okey. Anyone? I managed to sneak a peek at my rulebook during lunchtime and noticed that the only thing that would stop you from purchasing shrinking in 5 point increments is the additional knockback. But you could put that at 1.5" of additional knockback per 5 points, rounding up.

Originally posted by MarkusDark

Okey. Anyone? I managed to sneak a peek at my rulebook during lunchtime and noticed that the only thing that would stop you from purchasing shrinking in 5 point increments is the additional knockback. But you could put that at 1.5" of additional knockback per 5 points, rounding up.

Or just alternate extra knockback at +2, +1,+2,+1 etc..

Re: Shrinking Costs

Is there a reason that Shrinking costs 10 points per level instead of 5? It seems that everything in a level is dividable by 2 (+2DCV, etc.) so I wondered why it wasn't 5 points per level (+1DCV, etc.).

The only philosophical problem with this is that somewhere you would have to multiply by .7 to get size. With the current method, you merely have to divide by 2 each level which is much easier. :cool:

Re: Re: Shrinking Costs

Originally posted by Gary

The only philosophical problem with this is that somewhere you would have to multiply by .7 to get size. With the current method, you merely have to divide by 2 each level which is much easier. :cool:

Yeh... Hero gamers hate math.;)

Well, aside from the fact that it's cost this much ever since the first edition of Champions ;) , there are several factors that become more difficult to keep track of if you try to break Shrinking into 5-pt. increments: the odd number of inches of Knockback (+3" per level); the reduction in mass (1/8 per level - how much would half a level be? :confused: ); and the increased damage from Growth Momentum (1D6 per level). Certainly you could work these things out if the extra detail was worth it to you.

Actually, Shrinking cost 5 pts/level in the 1st Edition of Champions. That was a real pain for me when my primary character had Shrinking at 0 END Cost and it doubled the cost.

Aside from the cost change, the only main difference I've seen (not counting 3rd edition which really changed Shrinking/Growth effects) is that Shrinking no longer cuts your ground movement in half.

While it does make sense, it simply meant that, for the most part, every shrinker had Flight.

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

Well, aside from the fact that it's cost this much ever since the first edition of Champions ;) , there are several factors that become more difficult to keep track of if you try to break Shrinking into 5-pt. increments: the odd number of inches of Knockback (+3" per level); the reduction in mass (1/8 per level - how much would half a level be? :confused: ); and the increased damage from Growth Momentum (1D6 per level). Certainly you could work these things out if the extra detail was worth it to you.

Actually, the increased damage from Growth Momentum in Shrinking is 2d6 per 10 points/level, so the division is simple there. The reduction in mass is also simple enough. Half of 1/8 is 1/16. I actually have never played in a game where the weight of a shrinking character came into necessity but even if it did, I would imagine that it would be no harder to divide by 16 as it would be to divide by 8.

The only thing not easily divisible by 2 is the KB inches. And I don't know how they arrived at 3" per 10 points of shrinking to begin with. I don't see a major problem with a +1" per 5 points - especially since you do not take extra damage from the increased KB modifier from Shrinking.

Size would get a little bit harder, I'll admit. But I don't think it would be too much trouble. 1.5m, 1m, .75m, .5m, .375m, .25m, etc...

I am just thinking that since Growth is done in incriments of 5, why wouldn't Shrinking be done that way as well?

Growth has weird steps too, they just hide it by saying "for every 3 levels this and that happen". For Shrinking, it'd be "for every other level, add 3" KB". I used the "every other level" instead of "each two levels" since the KB adjustment is a detrimental effect. So for the first level of Shrinking, you suffer the KB. I went that way for simplicity, and because Steve often rules that bad stuff happens easily while good stuff only happens when all conditions are met.

I wish I had seen this already. I did a table for shrinking at 5pts a level years ago. you are welcome of course to use any or all of it as you wish. Here are the first 100pts worth of the power plus a half dozen other significant steps, if you want someone cpable of replicating the capabilities of the Atom.

Level	Pts	KB	DCV	PER	Mass	Height	Examples
0	0	0	0	0	100 kg	2 m	
1	5	1	1	-1	35 kg	1.4m	
2	10	3	2	-2	12.5 kg	1 m	
3	15	4	3	-3	4.5 kg	70 cm	
4	20	6	4	-4	1.6 kg	50 cm	
5	25	7	5	-5	480 g	35 cm	
6	30	9	6	-6	200 g	25 cm	
7	35	10	7	-7	70 g	17.5 cm	
8	40	12	8	-8	25 g	12.5 cm	
9	45	13	9	-9	9 g	9 cm	Softball
10	50	15	10	-10	3.2 g	6.4 cm	
11	55	16	11	-11	960 mg	4.5 cm	
12	60	18	12	-12	400 mg	3.2 cm	
13	65	19	13	-13	140 mg	2.2 cm	
14	70	21	14	-14	50 mg	1.6 cm	
15	75	22	15	-15	18 mg	1.1 cm	Human Iris
16	80	24	16	-16	6.4 mg	8 mm	
17	85	25	17	-17	2.2 mg	6 mm	
18	90	27	18	-18	800 µg	4 mm	
19	95	28	19	-19	280 µg	3 mm	
20	100	30	20	-20	100 µg	2 mm	
22	110	33	22	-22	12.5 µg	1 mm	Spark Plug Gap
28	140	42	28	-28	25 ng	125 µm	Paper Thickness
35	175	52	35	-35	18 pg	11 µm	Liver Cell
42	210	63	42	-42	12.5 fg	1 µm	E. Coli Bacterium
48	240	72	48	-48	25 ag	125 nm	Large Virus
55	275	82	55	-55	18 zg	11 nm	Cell Membrane Thickness
62	310	93	62	-62	12.5 yg	1 nm	Diameter of DNA
95	475	142	95	-95		11 fm	Hydrogen Nucleus

Bartman, that's a very fine piece of detail work - thank you! :D

One minor quibble, though (I wouldn't be a Hero gamer if I didn't have one): Your first 5-pt. level of Shrinking reduces height from 2 m. to 1 m., which is half original height. Wouldn't you need 10 pts. in Shrinking to get to half height?

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

Bartman, that's a very fine piece of detail work - thank you! :D

One minor quibble, though (I wouldn't be a Hero gamer if I didn't have one): Your first 5-pt. level of Shrinking reduces height from 2 m. to 1 m., which is half original height. Wouldn't you need 10 pts. in Shrinking to get to half height?

What the? grumble... grumble... grumble... :mad:

Of course you are right, and it has been corrected.

Originally posted by Gary

Funny how my OCV 3 self has no problem hitting a DCV 15 ant. :D

I was thinking about that very problem some time ago. It seems to me that once a target is smaller than the size of your hand that the DCV penalty is based on the size of your hand not the target. AKA "The fly swatter affect". This is similar to the Brick using the car to make an AOE attack. Though the attack penalties for the size of your hand is still pretty severe, about -9 OCV.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting note - a brick can pick up a car, table, etc, and make it into an AOE attack. However, someone who has grown to 3.5 hexes in height and 2 hexes wide cannot simply 'belly flop' to make an AOE attack. :)

Now I want to build a character that looks like a volkswagon bug that can 'belly flop' on escaping villians.

"Herbie, he's getting away!"

The reduction in mass is also simple enough. Half of 1/8 is 1/16. I actually have never played in a game where the weight of a shrinking character came into necessity but even if it did, I would imagine that it would be no harder to divide by 16 as it would be to divide by 8.{/B]

Ummm...no .

1/16 per level is a faster weight reduction. Halving the rate of descent would mean each leven reduces your mass to about 35% of the prior level (.35 x .35 = .1225, about the .125 of 1/8).

And three levels of Growth would be offset by one level of shrinking - three levels of Growth doubles your height and octuples your mass. One level of shrinking halves height and reduces mass to 1/8. [Hmmm...if I buy 3 levels of growth with a Linked level of shrinking, I get all the stat bonuses and stay the same height...]

You can buy half an EB die for 3 points, and 1/3 of a KA die for 5 points. If you want to buy half levels of shrinking, go ahead. Just assume you get half of anything evenly divisible by two, and round anything not evenly divisible against the character (so +2" knockback).

Originally posted by DevoDog

Actually, Shrinking cost 5 pts/level in the 1st Edition of Champions.

I'm reasonably certain you're mistaken, there: Shrinking has always been 10 points/level. The change was that Growth and DI were, too, and gave more power than they do now (Growth increased Presence and Running, for example).

Originally posted by Blue Angel

I was thinking about that very problem some time ago. It seems to me that once a target is smaller than the size of your hand that the DCV penalty is based on the size of your hand not the target. AKA "The fly swatter affect". This is similar to the Brick using the car to make an AOE attack. Though the attack penalties for the size of your hand is still pretty severe, about -9 OCV.

The trouble there is that your hand may be bigger than the target, but it is not bigger than the target can move in a fraction of a second (as was hinted at earlier in the thread). You swing, and a character the size of an ant is suddenly at the edge of the hex, nowhere near where your hand is. An ant or even a fly cannot do this, and so is built differently.

Originally posted by GamePhil

I'm reasonably certain you're mistaken, there: Shrinking has always been 10 points/level. The change was that Growth and DI were, too, and gave more power than they do now (Growth increased Presence and Running, for example).

Nope, 1st Edition of Champions (poorly typeset, missing the page on SFX, and EC's costing a flat rate, give you 3 powers at 1/2 the points in the EC) had Shrinking at 5/level.

The only reason why it's so embedded in my brain is that one of my first characters was a shrinker.

Shrinking and EC's are (IIRC) the two "powers" that changed between 1st and 2nd editions.