[Magic System] Piedragemasi (Gemstone Magic) Update

Killer Shrike

• 2 years later...

Re: [Magic System] Piedragemasi (Gemstone Magic) Update

always liked the system you got here. I am finally implementing Piedragemas and Totemic Shamanism.

There are a few open ended powers that I'm curious about how they should be defined for use.

For example:

The ruby powers

7 Basic Bolts: EB 3d6 (vs. ED) (15 Active Points); OIF (Ruby; -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4) 1

15 Advanced Bolts: EB 6d6 (vs. ED) (30 Active Points); OIF (Ruby; -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)

Do they have a certain type of energy special effect, is this and assumed instead of aplied with the advantage, is it defined by campaign or does the character select on purchase and keep it that way?

I know these are all valid options, however what was your intention when creating thees?

The Enerald Powers:

7 Basic Dispel: Dispel 1d6, Any Magic One At A Time (+1/2), Cumulative (24576 points; +3 1/2) (15 Active Points); OIF (Emerald; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) 1

15 Advanced Dispel: Dispel 2d6, Any Magic One At A Time (+1/2), Cumulative (24576 points; +3 1/2) (30 Active Points); OIF (Emerald; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) 3

22 Signature Suppression: Suppress 4d6+1, Area Of Effect (2" Radius; +1) (44 Active Points); OIF (Emerald; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

I remember you specifying in the magic systems discussion that to cover special effects they needed to be detailed or to cover all it required an expanded effect (or something like that) advantage at +2 to affect any type of spell.

Same questions as for ruby.

I will assume any other instances similar to these have the same answer.

Thanks.

The SFX is covered under the System document...

SPECIAL EFFECTS (SFX)

Gemstone Powers have the SFX of Arcane, Magic, Piedragemas, and whatever Gemstone set a Power originates from. These mandatory SFX cannot be altered by any means, including Variable Special Effects.

These various SFX are interacted with as normal for the HERO System; thus a Magic User of another System casting a Spell that Dispels Arcane Magic could affect Piedragemas Powers. Similarly, if such a caster had a "Detect Ruby" Spell they might detect a Piedragemasi using a Ruby Gemstone Power with a good PER check for their Detect, while a "Detect Piedragemas Magic" Spell would easily detect a Piedragemasi currently using a Gemstone Power.

Unlike some other Magic Systems, the actual initiator of a Gemstone Power does not have much of a "mystic signature" with their Magic use. The Gemstone Lore Powers are very homogenous and generic in this regard. To detect and recognize the "signature" of a specific Piedragemasi after the fact would require an appropriate PER check to be made by five or more.

NOTE: The Ruby Gemstone Power of Advanced Blasts is always Magic, always Arcane, always a Piedragemas Power, and always from the Ruby set.

So...a Ruby blasts "energy" sfx would just be "magic". If you wanted a more "specific" SFX, you could assign one I suppose --> but its just generic mystic bolts with a red ruby like appearance.

EDIT: the descriptions for ruby and spinel say they are Force based....

RUBY: Magic pertaining to projecting and manipulating force.

SPINEL: Magic pertaining to focused Force.

As for the Dispel questions, Ill look into it and get back to you --> I don't entirely recall the design decisions around it and I'll need to refamiliarize myself with it.

Ok, I recall...

You are referring to this excerpt from this document:

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/HighFantasyHERO/shrikeMagic.aspx

MAGIC SFX AND ADJUSTMENT POWERS

Magic is an extremely broad SFX in a Fantasy context, and some GM's might be hesitant to allow Dispels and Adjustments to affect all Magic for a mere +1/4 Power Advantage as listed in the HERO System 5th Edition Rulebook. The following is presented as an alternative.

"Fantasy Magic" Redefinition

This option is in effect in my campaigns

By the HERO System 5th Edition Rulebook, a single +1/4 Advantage allows Dispel and by extension Adjustment Powers to affect all Fantasy Magic one Power/Spell at a time. In my opinion while that may work in a superheroic game where Magic is fairly generalized, it's too powerful in most Fantasy contexts.

EXPANDED "EXPANDED GROUP"

As an alternative to this, a +1/4 Advantage will affect all Fantasy Magic of a specific category one target at a time. Thus a +1/4 Advantage could be used to make Dispel Magic (Wizardry) or Dispel Magic (Sortilege). To affect All Arcane Magic or All Divine Magic one target at a time is a +1/2 Advantage. To affect All Magic one target at a time is a +1 Advantage.

SIMULTANEOUS TARGETS FOR EXPANDED EFFECT

As an adjunct to this change, Simultaneous Targets must also be modified. Simply add the difference of the Expanded Group to the total for this Advantage; thus to Dispel All Arcane Magic All At Once is a +2 1/4 Advantage and to Dispel All Magic Simultaneously is a +2 3/4 Advantage.

The Dispels have the appropriate +1/2 expanded effect vs the +1/4 that would normally be used.

The Suppress is built the way it is due to the way I define "Anti-Magic", described later in the same document linked above

ANTI-MAGIC

This option is in effect in my campaigns

D&D source material has the concept of Anti-Magic, which is a very arbitrarily absolute effect only available at higher levels of Magic use and cautiously employed. Some GM's like this concept and would like to model it in the HERO System.

However, the HERO System does not recognize absolute effects by default, so it can be difficult to generate enough Active Points to achieve the same level of effect in the HERO System with Anti-Magic as is typical in the source material.

For GM's that wish to overcome this difficulty, the following recommendations are made:

* The term "Anti-Magic" or "Anti-Magic Field" refers to any AoE Continuous Uncontrolled Suppress or Dispel bought to affect All Magic Simultaneously (+2 3/4)

* All Magical Effects on Continuing Charges are deactivated by contact with an Anti-Magic Field that has equal or greater Active Points, expending the current Charge.

o This can also be expanded to include any Constant/Continuous Magical effect at the GM's discretion.

* Instant effects that cross or enter an Anti-Magic field that has Active Points at least double that of the Instant effect in question are nullified on contact.

o The effects of the Anti-Magic field are still applied to Instant effects that are not nullified.

Basically AoE Continuous Uncontrolled Suppress is allowed to be defined as "Anti-Magic" and works vs all Magic (including the caster's own), without need for expanded effect. This was a design decision made due to the expense of AoE Continuous Uncontrolled Suppress already being high. All the continuing charge systems defined on the site name "contact with Anti-Magic" as a turn off clause.

In this case it looks like a mistake on my part for that particular ability; I didn't properly construct it either way. I would need to either apply Continuous and Uncontrolled to it to make it "Anti-Magic" per the house rule, or apply expanded effect to allow it to affect magic in a more precise fashion if its not "Anti-Magic.

I'll get that corrected.