Luck, UOO, Charges, etc

bigdamnhero

Question

I’ve been playing around with Persistent, UOO & Charges, and I’ve managed to thoroughly confuse myself:

1. A character has the ability to make another person lucky (Xd6 Luck, UOO). Since Luck is Persistent and costs no END, does it continue by default as long as the caster stays within range/LOS?

2. Say the character can only “bless” a certain number of people a day, so he buys Charges. Even though Luck is naturally Persistent, the Charge still only lasts 1 Phase, so the recipient will only be Lucky for 1 phase, right? Would taking Nonpersistent and/or Instant as additional Limitations be legal and what effect would they have?

3. Continuous powers normally work off the caster’s Phases, but how does that interact with UOO? Assuming the Luck only lasts for 1 Phase, let’s say the caster casts Luck in Phase 3, and the target’s next Phase is in Phase 4; the caster’s next Phase isn’t until Phase 6. When does the Luck take effect, and when does it end?

4. Say the PC decided to buy 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn. Normally, that would be a -1/2 Limitation, but is it reduced to -0 because Luck is inherently Persistent? (5ER p285)

Thanks Steve!

1 answer to this question

Re: Luck, UOO, Charges, etc

1. No; see 5ER 273, bottom right.

2. Yes, that’s correct. What you need to do to get the effect you want (if I’m understanding you correctly) is use the “differing modifiers” rules to build a power that you can only use X times per day, but which has Continuing Charges that govern how long the recipient remains affected by the UOO power.

3. 5ER 274 discusses how the recipient of the power, not the grantor, controls it. Thus a Continuous UOO power works using the recipient’s Phases, not the grantor’s.

4. You’re misreading the rules on 5ER 285. The value of Continuing Charges caps at -0 for Persistent powers — in other words, it can’t get “larger,” gaining a positive value and becoming an Advantage. It can still have a “greater” Limitation value, such as -1/2, if that’s the value indicated by the rules.