Need Vehicle Help: Star Wars

Vondy

I need some help building vehicles for star wars. I can offer you nothing but rep and a credit if you let me put it on my site. I have seldom used hero's vehicle system and don't have the requisite books for the task, or much a feel for that part of the system - I've always hand waved that aspect. I can provide descriptions and pictures of the vehicles in question. It will not include the death star or imperial class star destroyers (or other capital ships) as those are plot devices.

I need:

Consular Class Corvette And/Or Rebel Blockade Runner

Millenium Falcon

Slave I

Lambda Class Shuttle

X-Wing

B-Wing

Tie Fighter

Land Speeder

Speeder Bike

If you want to take one (or more) on I can send you the description, or post it here.

Re: Need Vehicle Help: Star Wars

Morning VDM. I hope you're having a lovely Sabbath (although my timing may be off - it's Sabbath HERE, not sure what "day" it is in Israel. Anyway. I'd always assumed I'd be taking a shot at the Star Wars universe, better now than never.

I'm going to base my builds on the old X-Wing and TIE Fighter videogames produced by Lucas Arts. So there are some core assumptions.

1) I'm going to set the flight base speed at "20" because that was the sort of generic base speed of the TIE and the X-Wing; for the game it was 100 kps, but I'm not going for that number, which never felt all that fast to begin with, but something that borders on reasonability for the genre and the gam. The A-Wing was closer to a 25 or30, the Y Wing was a 16, and the B-Wing... was also a 16, I think. That thing was a freaking tank.

2) I'll do my best to mimic what I remember from the game. Y-Wings, for example, should possibly get a manueverability penalty for being so cow-like, but I'll just assume that the slowest vehicles have no bonus, then build up from there (TIEs and A-Wings are very agile; X's & B's are not).

Imperial TIE Fighter (Standard)

4 - Size - 20 - (Width 1.25", Length 2.5", Height 3"), DCV -2, -4 KB

30 - STR - 0 - Lift 1,600 KG, 5d6 HTH damage

21 - DEX - 33 - 7 OCV/7 DCV

10 - BODY - 0

2 - DEF - 0

4 - SPD - 9 - Phases 3, 6, 9, 12

Total Characteristic Cost: 62 Points

Movement

Ground: 0"/0"

Swimming: 0"/0"

Flight: 20"/160"

Power System

40 Twin Ion Engine: Endurance Reserve (100 END, 100 REC); (Only to power electronic devices, 1/4), OIF Immobile (-1 1/2)

Propulsion Systems

29 Twin Ion Engine: Flight +20" (x8 Noncombat Movement), Costs END (-1/2), Visible Power Effect (Ion Engines create unmistakable sound, +4 to PER rolls to perceive it, -1/4)

-12 Only Flies (-6" running)

-2 Cannot Swim (-2" swimming)

Tactical Systems

25 Forward Mounted Twin Laser Cannons: 8d6 Energy Blast (Laser); Autofire 5 (+1/2), No Range Modifier (+1/2); OIF Bulky (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), Limited Arc of Fire (One Hex Row forward, -3/4), Beam (-1/4)

Operations Systems

30 Sensors and Communications Systems: Variable Power Pool, 40 base + 20 control cost; OIF Bulky (-1), Only for Senses & Communications (-1)

3 Navigation Computer: +4 to Navigation (Space) roll; OIF Bulky (-1 1/2)

Personnel Systems

Ejection System, 10 points

Skills

8 Highly Manueverable: +4 with Combat Piloting

Value Disadvantages

25 Distinctive Features: Imperial Fighter (Not Concealable, causes extreme reaction [fear])

Total Vehicle Cost: 168/5 = 34

Imperial TIE Interceptor (Standard)

4 - Size - 20 - (Width 1.25", Length 2.5", Height 3"), DCV -2, -4 KB

30 - STR - 0 - Lift 1,600 KG, 5d6 HTH damage

21 - DEX - 33 - 7 OCV/7 DCV

10 - BODY - 0

4 - DEF - 6

4 - SPD - 9 - Phases 3, 6, 9, 12

Total Characteristic Cost: 68 Points

Movement

Ground: 0"/0"

Swimming: 0"/0"

Flight: 24"/192"

Power System

48 Twin Ion Engine: Endurance Reserve (120 END, 120 REC); (Only to power electronic devices, 1/4), OIF Immobile (-1 1/2)

Propulsion Systems

33 Twin Ion Engine: Flight +24" (x8 Noncombat Movement), Costs END (-1/2), Visible Power Effect (Ion Engines create unmistakable sound, +4 to PER rolls to perceive it, -1/4)

-12 Only Flies (-6" running)

-2 Cannot Swim (-2" swimming)

Tactical Systems

25 Forward Mounted Twin Laser Cannons: 8d6 Energy Blast (Laser); Autofire 5 (+1/2), No Range Modifier (+1/2); OIF Bulky (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), Limited Arc of Fire (One Hex Row forward, -3/4), Beam (-1/4)

5 A second pair of laser cannons (total of 4) fired invidually, in pairs, or sets

Operations Systems

30 Sensors and Communications Systems: Variable Power Pool, 40 base + 20 control cost; OIF Bulky (-1), Only for Senses & Communications (-1)

3 Navigation Computer: +4 to Navigation (Space) roll; OIF Bulky (-1 1/2)

Personnel Systems

Ejection System, 10 points

Skills

8 Highly Manueverable: +4 with Combat Piloting

Value Disadvantages

25 Distinctive Features: Imperial Fighter (Not Concealable, causes extreme reaction [fear])

Total Vehicle Cost: 191/5 = 38

Heading out, but I wanted to get the first pass at these up; they're standard Imperial vehicles. Like I said, '20' seemed like a good base to start from, and the Interceptor is faster, better armored & more heavily armed. Not sure (as usual) how the END reserve would play out in game, so if that needs edited, let me know. In the actual videogame series, you had to balance power among all systems to keep flying, and the lasers could 'Super Charge' once you had enough juice in them. I did NOT try to model this.

However, the other bit they did in the VG was to allow you to cycle how your weapons were linked, so on any 4-gun craft (B-Wings were included) you could either do single shot, paired shots, or quad shots. I wasn't sure if this was something I should bother modeling as a variant on Autofire with power increases (i.e., single shot = 4d6 EB Autofire 10, Paired is 6d6 EB Autofire 5, Quad is 8d6 EB no AF, or something similar).

If that's a direction you'd like to see it go, let me know and I'll merrily edit it. When I get back I'll put up a TIE Advanced (which is faster, nastier X-Wing) and a TIE Bomber. If you want the TIE Defender I'll include, but in the VG it became a BS machine - had a top speed of 'nigh uncontrollable' and was drowning in guns & torps.

Then I'll start on the rebel fighters, and model torpedoes, guidance systems, concussion missiles, and force fields (which will be ablative, unless I end up using the crazy entangle force field option).

So there's the beginning.

They look nice - you might want to look at the x-wing and falcon write-ups on my site. I'm not sure if I like (mine) or not. I didn't bother with an endurance reserve because these ships have an operational endurance longer than any game scene is likely to cover.

My original design called for inert gases to be used as fuel, and then purchasing all weapons with the END reserve to empower them (lasers), or I'd have to go with "costs 0 END" which didn't make any sense, although really, it's a matter of taste. So long as the guns work mechanically and the ship has the stats that allow to take off, that's what matters.

As has often been said, there are many, many ways to build something - the key in this case is that it flies.

If you want to model the linked firing system, you might do it like this:

14 Multipower: Laser Cannon System, 45 AP; OIF Bulky (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), Limited Arc of Fire (One Hex Row forward, -3/4), Beam (-1/4)

1u) Single Shot/Rotary System: 4d6 EB, AF 10; Common Lims

1u) Paired Shot/Alternate Firing: 6d6 EB, AF 5; Common Lims

1u) Quad Fire: 8d6 EB; Common Lims

I'll leave that to your discretion, although I kind of like it - it certainly simulates the various firing options well.

VDM: How do you want your torpedoes/missiles done? As extra time to simulate the traveling? Do you want them modeled independently - i.e., do you want to track the actual travel of the missiles on a map, or are you content having them just deal extra damage? The reason I ask is because a torpedo isn't an anti-fighter weapon, it's an anti-ship weapon. The missiles, in contrast, are anti-ship weapons.

A TIE Bomber can be equipped with either Torps or Missiles, IIRC. The A-Wing carries 12 Concussion Missiles, the X-Wing carries 6 Proton Torpedoes, and the Y-Wing carries 8. The B-Wing has 3 lasers, and 3 ion cannons. The TIE Bomber has 2 lasers & 2 ion cannons, as does the Y-Wing. There's a wide armament variety among the craft, so before I go and model the whole thing in a way you didn't want, what are some of your core assumptions?

Or should I just go nuts? ;)