Martial Artist

The Suave

I have an upcoming Fantasy campaign in which I would like to play a Martial Artist. I've borrowed a copy of the Ultimate Martial Artist, but I would love a few ideas on some of his additional powers.

I was hoping to build him with the concept that he has complete and total control over his body, to a supernatural or "magical" level. I had planned to buy a short teleportation power (special effect: "throwing" his cells to the other side of the opponent\room\whatever). I have toyed with the idea of giving him some healing only usable on poison (you know, concentrating on purging the poison from his body).

I would love some ideas with additional powers and abilities a character such as this would have.

As far as I know it's 150pt game with 60 active point camp, 20s across the board for stat max.

Thanks for any and all help!

Re: Martial Artist

Yeargh. Well, it depends on your martial artist as much as anything. You said, "Total Body Control." Okay. Depends on what your focusing on still, though. In this case, that becomes a Special Effect. Decouple the SFX from the power and things become easier. Don't think in terms of what you can do with Body Control; think of a power you want to have, and then fit the effect so it MATCHES the idea of Body Control.

Stuff you might be able to do:

- Breaking the Waterfall. Body Hardening. A number of times per day, you can Harden your entire body to absorb far more punishment than usual. You can build this as a Force Field, as Armor (which makes the most sense, really) or even as a modified Absorb, all depending on what feel you're going for.

- Floating Insect on the Pond. Underwater breathing, OR, extra swimming, OR any other group of envrionmental survival effects.

- Python Smiles at the Mouse. A no-range Entangle, wherein you grab your opponent and twist him into a pretzel, immobilizing him. I believe under some rules you can Spread your Entangle, but I have to read up on it.

- Buddha Rests on the Mountain. Density Increase. Great at parties or for people with soft floors.

See what I mean? You can take almost any power in the book (in many cases, do multiple variations on the same power in fact) and spin it into a Martial Arts manuever. In addition to that, you must:

Take 10 points of Martial Arts to take any at all; that should be automatic.

You SHOULD take at least 3 CSLs in HtH combat, each at +5.

I can go on, but hopefully this is a good starting point for you. Let us know if you need more.

Depends how far you want to go. To me "throwing my cells to the other side of the room" sounds pretty bizarre. "I'm so quick I can't be effectively blocked" on the other hand seems relatively commonplace (I had a character with this power - Teleport with the -1/2 limitation "must cross intervening space" so he couldn't go through tiny windows, barred gates and the like and he'd still be burned going through a wall of fire.

Other possibilities for "total body control" include

- simulate death

- Life support - reduced aging, immunity to environmental effects and disease

- Damage reduction and/or damage resistance

- Aid to characteristics

- increased HTH damage

- Enhanced senses

- etc.

cheers, Mark

For the anti-poison power, you may want to consider a cumulative dispel instead. Poison in Hero tends to be a lot of active points (I personally don't inclue NND on the drain...Its just a limitation that LS: Immunity works in addition to power defense. I digress) and also has gradual effect and/or continous, along with extra time for the initial damage (onset time). So if you know you've just been bit by something poisonous, you can "meditate it out of you" fairly easily.

A 6d6 Dispel vs. Two Poison powers at the same time (Most poisons are a drain and a KA), Cumulative x4, with RSR, No Range, Self Only, and 0 DCV Concentration costs 15 points and will be able to tackle anything up to 144 Active points (per power, not both of them together).

This also means that if you are forced to ignore the poison for even a short time, you have less timet to get it out of you, meaning you are more likely to suffer some of the damage from it. I happen to like that conceptually.

For the anti-poison power, you may want to consider a cumulative dispel instead. Poison in Hero tends to be a lot of active points (I personally don't inclue NND on the drain...Its just a limitation that LS: Immunity works in addition to power defense. I digress) and also has gradual effect and/or continous, along with extra time for the initial damage (onset time). So if you know you've just been bit by something poisonous, you can "meditate it out of you" fairly easily.

A 6d6 Dispel vs. Two Poison powers at the same time (Most poisons are a drain and a KA), Cumulative x4, with RSR, No Range, Self Only, and 0 DCV Concentration costs 15 points and will be able to tackle anything up to 144 Active points (per power, not both of them together).

This also means that if you are forced to ignore the poison for even a short time, you have less timet to get it out of you, meaning you are more likely to suffer some of the damage from it. I happen to like that conceptually.

Ooh I hadn't thought of a Dispel! That sounds great! Thanks so much.

What kind of martial artist? As in Style. Each of the styles (at least the eastern ones) generally have suggestions for special abilities. I have an MA in a Champs game who is 2500 years old. He has an entangle (Based on con) for a Paralytic touch. Buy MA DC's and 5pt CSLs, Damage Reduction (resistant), etc. There are quite a few suggestions in the UMA for powers and what not.

Also for the poison immunity thing there is already an option LS: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents

Also look at the Dim Mak techniques in the UMA. There is quite a bit in there that will help to make your character unique.

Also decide if he uses weapons or just bare hands and choose an appropriate style, or build your own style.

Other things to consider buying a HA with Indirect.

My favorite Talent for the Fantasy Campaign martial artists was Find Weakness (limited to 11-), because it simulated the way that D & D style monks or kensai could damage armored or magical creatures.

Sleight of Hand, KS: Fighting Styles, Combat Sense, Ambidexterity, Fast Draw, Acrobatics, Breakfall, and 5 point HTH levels all served to differentiate the true martial artists from the rest of the fighters.

I still remember the time that I wanted to put Fast Draw on my unarmed martial artist...

Hehe.

Did you go around saying "when I put my hands in my pockets, I could get arrested for not having a concealed weapon permit"? Or maybe you bought the perk "Concealed Weapon Permit". :)