Elementals as "Physical Manifestation" of a power

Blue

I was going to make some summoned creatures, but then I realized all I wanted to do was have them grab a foe and drag them to the bottom of the sea. To me, this was TK, especially since you can maintain multiple TKs as long as you pay the END cost. They'd simply have the "Physical Manifestation -1/4" limitation on it.

That description says they get the character's DCV, and the DEF and BODY per the "Breakable foci" rules.

Said rules state: DEF equals Active points of the largest power/5

It doesn't give a hard figure on BODY. Instead it says, if any BODY is done to the focus beyond it's DEF, regardless how much beyond, the Focus loses a power.

Well, since this Focus only has 1 power, essentially that makes it a 1 BODY item! Sounds brittle to me.

Another statement says, at the GM option, the focus could be destroyed if it takes more than 2x it's DEF from a single hit. Now that sounds quite far in the opposite direction!

Am I interpreting either of these wrong?

I'm ready to call a compromise and make it BODY= AP/5, just like the DEF. But if I'd prefer to get this right.

Anyone familiar with the rule able to tell me if I'm reading this correctly?

Re: Elementals as "Physical Manifestation" of a power

I was going to make some summoned creatures, but then I realized all I wanted to do was have them grab a foe and drag them to the bottom of the sea. To me, this was TK, especially since you can maintain multiple TKs as long as you pay the END cost. They'd simply have the "Physical Manifestation -1/4" limitation on it.

That description says they get the character's DCV, and the DEF and BODY per the "Breakable foci" rules.

It doesn't give a hard figure on BODY. Instead it says, if any BODY is done to the focus beyond it's DEF, regardless how much beyond, the Focus loses a power.

Well, since this Focus only has 1 power, essentially that makes it a 1 BODY item! Sounds brittle to me.

It isn't, though. Because they don't take stun, their victims are going to have to actually get a point of BODY past their defense. If they do, then your water elementals will be scattered for a moment and then reform and continue to attack (assuming you continue to use the power).

Average attack in my campaign is supposed to be 60 AP. Most of my players have at some point boosted themselves to 70-80 AP on one attack (80 is the absolute cap).

These guys I had down at about 50 STR (75 AP), which would make them 15 DEF, 1 BODY. So that does mean that on an average BODY damage roll (assuming they hit), they'll do enough to disperse the elemental.

Not sounding all that unreasonable. Still going to be trouble for the one guy who loves to put "gestures" on his powers ;)

And that pretty much excludes them from mental attacks (since most don't do body). Yeh, I think that's not bad really. Having a weak BODY in return for having a single-minded servant being who is immune to mental attacks, like automatons.

Ok, I think I can live with that. Thanks.

Another statement says, at the GM option, the focus could be destroyed if it takes more than 2x it's DEF from a single hit. Now that sounds quite far in the opposite direction!

Am I interpreting either of these wrong?

I'm ready to call a compromise and make it BODY= AP/5, just like the DEF. But if I'd prefer to get this right.

Anyone familiar with the rule able to tell me if I'm reading this correctly?

With a Focus you have to have an item to turn on a Power. Thats cool and all, but sometimes you have a Power concept whereby you turn on the Power to create an item, like Iceman's slide, Illyana's Soulsword, fire swords, and things like that.

People have traditionally USED Focus to represent this, but technically its wrong, and generally less limiting since a normal Focus can be taken away and thus prevent activation, but if the item is created via activation that doesnt work out so well.

Thus, Physical Manifestation.

You can think of a PhysMan as a breakable Foci with one power. If the PhysMan takes even a single point of body past its DEF it is destroyed but unlike a Foci the character can just reactivate the power to make another one.

As an aside here is a (mostly finished) character that is very like what you are thinking of. The character is a "summoner" that uses powers with PhysMan on them rather than using the Summon power to call forth actual characters with full write ups.

Mythic

As an aside here is a (mostly finished) character that is very like what you are thinking of. The character is a "summoner" that uses powers with PhysMan on them rather than using the Summon power to call forth actual characters with full write ups.

Mythic

That link is an ftp that requires a password. Try this: Mythic.