New Limitation: Undesired Effect

Chris Goodwin

Comments requested.

New Limitation: Undesired Effect

An Undesired Effect is a Power that affects the use of another Power, almost always in a way the user of the Power doesn't want. It differs from Side Effects in two ways: it always affects the target of the Power, and the target gets full Defenses, if any, against it (though it can be built as NND or AVLD as appropriate). It's also built as a Power for additional cost; this reflects the fact that it may sometimes be useful as an alternate or additional effect of the Power.

To build an Undesired Effect, first build the basic Power. Next, build the Undesired Effect as a Power, and apply an Undesired Effect Limitation to it. The Limitation's value is as follows:

-1/4 The user can frequently control the usage of the Undesired Effect

-1/2 The user can occasionally control the usage of the Undesired Effect

-1 The Undesired Effect is based on factors entirely outside of the user's control

Finally, apply an Undesired Effect Limitation to the base Power. The value of this Limitation is the same as an equivalent Side Effects, based on the Active Points of the Undesired Effect.

Some examples of an Undesired Effect could be Flight whose exhaust is usable as a Killing Attack (the KA is built with the -1/2 Limitation); a Taser built as a Stun Only attack that acts as a Killing Attack against the aged, infirm, or anyone with a specific (little-s) susceptibility (-1); a Flash defined as a spray that can cause permanent blindness in some individuals (Transform: Sighted To Blind) (-1); the Bright Light Of The Gods that Heals anyone whose heart is pure but burns anyone with darkness and evil inside of them (-1/2).

Do not buy Linked on the Undesired Effect; any linkage effect is subsumed as part of the Undesired Effect Limitation.

Re: New Limitation: Undesired Effect

I'm not quite clear on what you're going for here.

Flight with a trail of flaming exhaust is already covered by existing Side Effects rules, or with a compound or linked power containing Flight and an EB:Line.

A flash that might also blind someone is a Compound Power or MPA with Flash and Transform.

A Taser that sometimes acts as a Killing Attack is a Compound Power or MPA with one NND and one limited KA.

The Heals and Burns spell is a Healing spell in a Compound Power or MPA with a Drain BODY or similar "only versus those with Evil related psych limits".

So, I guess you're looking for a limitation to keep these powers permanently attached other than Linked?

Re: New Limitation: Undesired Effect

Well, this could certainly be something one could use it seems to me these are already covered mostly under the rules.

Some examples of an Undesired Effect could be Flight whose exhaust is usable as a Killing Attack (the KA is built with the -1/2 Limitation);

A damage shield or side effect "affects ebvironment" or maybe just a linkled KA IF this is to rise above the level of SFX and power skill/stunt usage.

a Taser built as a Stun Only attack that acts as a Killing Attack against the aged, infirm, or anyone with a specific (little-s) susceptibility (-1);

See you last clause... this would be expressed as a susceptability on the part of the aged, infirmed, etc. I wouldn't want to define microwave overs with their HKA vs people with pacemakers or peanut butter with the massive RKA vs those with alergy.

a Flash defined as a spray that can cause permanent blindness in some individuals (Transform: Sighted To Blind) (-1);

Again, if it is a specific class of people who are vulnerable, then why not reference it as a susceptability? If i dont need to buy an extra +10d6 EB cold blast -x only vs those vulnerable to fire" why do i need to do so here?

the Bright Light Of The Gods that Heals anyone whose heart is pure but burns anyone with darkness and evil inside of them (-1/2).

This is either a limited side effects "always occurs when someone is evil" or falls under a predefined set of "susc to holy" kind of thing that applies (perhaps as a campaign definition) to those who are eviul/darkness etc.

If your game has sen the need, then this may be the fix but it seems to me that starting down the road of requiring powers to buy their own additional attack powers to reflect potential character's susceptabilities and the like is not a productive venture.

How many points do swords now cost, given that they must buy some form of "excessive bleeding" for those who have bleeding issues when cut?