Universal Weapon Familiarity

Snarf

Originally posted by Peregrine

Or maybe just a house rule for the characters in question? Call it an Everyman ability.

That's what I would normally do, but the ability isn't inherent to the characters and it's possible not everyone may have it, so I'll have to do it the hard way.

I'm willing to create a house rules, but the ability has to somehow be priced fairly. I'm considering just charging 20 points for it, like those other universal type abilities on global guardians. That sounds like a significant investment. I guess if I had to build it, it would be something like detect: how to use weapon.

Another option is to tell the character who wants it to reserve 5-10 points for it, and in essence everytime he gets a weapon he spends 1 to givehimself the element, writes it down then, and as he gains XP he replenishes the pool (I have a house rule where anyone with a skill enhancer can do this for the skill if it makes sense)

Um...unless I got my wires crossed somewhere, the Weapon Element Rule does not apply to the nifty MPower idea.

Weapon Elements are purchased for the weapons they apply to. The "base" weapon element is free (they choose fencing in the example, do they not?) It's somewhere after pg 254 in FREd. So, why can I not pick the MPower as the Martial Arts Weapon Element?

Additionally, weapon elements are bought following the Weapon Familiarity rules...and in those rules it specifically states that you do not need to pay points for a familiarity with any weapon you spent character points on. So, either the user of the MPower buys a broad WFam, AND an element (the MPower itself), or it is completely free to use with Martial Arts he knows if designated that way. Right? The quibble is the specific GM interpreted meaning of the limitation "weapon of oppurtunity". As an aside, this represents an arcane mastery of all weapons...if you could neutralize his powers, then he would suffer all the penalties AND the loss of MA applications temporarily...

And I have a professional interest. One of my new players had a Shadow Teleporter who could sculpt weapons from darkness...and that's how the slots are in his MPower..."blunt objects" (EB) and "pointy objects" (RKA). The shadows were not "solid" enough for pushing through STR.