Question about Improving Hearing

red_eagle123

One of my players is looking to improve his hearing by spending xp. Specifically, he has +4 to his hearing perception rolls, and now wants to buy targetting for his hearing. It seems to me that they should be in the same power (not separated at all). However, the example of Kodiak in Millenium City seems to imply that they can be separated out, and should be.

Now, I realize I can make a GM's fiat decision here, but I'm curious what the correct Official way to handle this would be.

I wanted to simulate a Daredevil-like hearing, and built it like this:

26 Incredible Hearing (Normal):Targeting (10), 360 Arc (5). +6 Telescopic (6), Analyze (5).

You can add any sense modifier to an existing normal sense just to make it special, IMHO.

Clarification

Perhaps I should clarify.

I'm thinking, from my perspective, that for the player to add targetting to his already existing enhanced hearing power, he should add the modifier to the existing enhanced hearing power, with one total cost.

He pointed out that Kodiak, in the Millenium City book, bought enhanced senses and targetted sense (Don't recall the sense, smell I think?) as separate powers, with distinctly separate costs.

The reason this is important is because I have allowed him to buy his enhanced hearing as part of an Elemental Control, not realizing that that wasn't kosher under 5th ed. rules. Since it's already done there's no point revoking it. Anyhow, if he has to add targetting to the existing sense, it costs more than if he can break them out into separate senses, since in the first case the EC cost break has already been taken into account. In the second case the targetted hearing gets a reduced cost, due to the EC cost break.

Again I realize I can make a GM decision here, but I'm wondering how the official rules handle this situation (Should it modify the existing enhanced sense or be separate)?

Well, just because you've made a mistake previously with the EC (and I agree it would be harsh to go back on this), it doesn't mean you have to keep making the mistake in the future.

Give the player a choice. He can have it as a brand new power, which will be treated in accordance with 5th Ed. rules as you now both understand them (ie no 0 END powers in an EC), or he can have it tagged onto his existing one (for which he already has the EC bonus).