Mass combat Unit/Prominent Character interaction

Lord Mhoram

Question

Gearing up to run my FH game in a couple of weeks, so I finally sat down and read the Mass Cobat rules, and I have one question.

If a fighter type attacks a unit with his sword, it's just treated as regular unit vs unit rules, with the character being a 1 person unit; doing his normal weapon damage to the unit.

My question is for a mage type -

If a mage has a firebolt type spell, that is single target spell, if I read the rules right, he would be treated exactly as above.

If a mage has a fireball type spell, with an area that effects everyone in a unit, say the same damage as the firebolt; is that treated the same or different?

I guess my question boils down to these three choices, is it

1) The firebolt and fireball do the same amount of damage to a unit.

2) The firebolt cannot be used against a unit, the spell has to be area of effect to do the attack.

3) The firebolt is used normally like the fighter's sword and effect a unit, and the area of effect attack does more somehow.

Thanks for yoru time.

1 answer to this question

Re: Mass combat Unit/Prominent Character interaction

Well, fair is fair. If a warrior can attack a Unit with a single-target weapon (his sword), then a wizard can attack a Unit with a single-target spell (such as a Firebolt, as compared to an area-affecting Fireball). For the sake of simplicity the Mass Combat rules treat the area-affecting attacks the same, but the GM can certainly tweak them to taste if he prefers otherwise.