Idea for an unusual mage

Mark Rand

To me, mages are interesting characters. Earlier today an idea came to me for an unusual one.

She's a Japanese-American woman whose parents met in Kyoto. Dad was a mage. Mom was a geisha. She is now a guest lecturer at area high schools and universities and performs at various educational venues.

The daughter, who has training as a geisha, and is now has taken over for her retired father, has decided to look like a geisha in costume.

I also have to come up with a cool familiar for her.

Comments, questions, ideas?

Re: Idea for an unusual mage

What sort of magic does she cast/use? I am assuming you are going to go with some sort of Shinto or Buddhist source?

Is her power tied to Japan?

As for the costume of a geisha, that sounds a little odd to me, since I assume she will be a combatant. Doable, I guess, but I would hope her magic was more of the subtle type, which would preclude a lot of the "showy" super-magic.

I would think it might be preferable that she keep being a geisha her "day" job, but take on another persona altogether as her "mage". I could even see her masquerading as a male to hide her identity (using a shape-change spell, perhaps).

Otherwise, if she kept to her "Geisha roots" her magic would need to be subtle and ritualistic. As such, she could make for a great support character, but not so good as a front-line fighter.

What sort of magic does she cast/use? I am assuming you are going to go with some sort of Shinto or Buddhist source?

As for the costume of a geisha, that sounds a little odd to me, since I assume she will be a combatant. Doable, I guess, but I would hope her magic was more of the subtle type, which would preclude a lot of the "showy" super-magic.

I would think it might be preferable that she keep being a geisha her "day" job, but take on another persona altogether as her "mage". I could even see her masquerading as a male to hide her identity (using a shape-change spell, perhaps).

Otherwise, if she kept to her "Geisha roots" her magic would need to be subtle and ritualistic. As such, she could make for a great support character, but not so good as a front-line fighter.

Since she lives here in Pittsburgh, working as a geisha might not be too practical. I'm thinking that she inherited a fortune and a mansion, now also the headquarters of the team she's part of.

She has a VPP with gestures, using her fan, as a limitation. Some of her magic is done as if it was stage magic while other magic requires her to ask the assistance of the kami. She probably also has, as a separate power, the ability to move things in and out of a pocket reality, one cubic hex in size, that holds small objects that she needs.

I agree that, like Witchcraft, unless it's a magical threat, she's going to be more of a support character than a front-line fighter. She probobly has some HTH training, either classic comic book or aikido, but isn't as skilled with them as other characters are with their martial arts.

Our lady mage's mansion is Mediterranean in style and is located on Millionaire's Row, Fifth Avenue between Devonshire Street and Shady Avenue.

When she moved in, she cast a series of spells on the house. Many were simple spells of protection. Another added a 10' x 10' x 10' pocket reality to the pantry. Others added a greenhouse, reference library and workroom to her study. One created a portal in the leasure (rec) room.

Stepping through the portal, she found herself in the lobby of a swank hotel. Looking around, she spotted the stairs to the balcony that covered about one third of the lobby.

She eventually discovered the size and shape of the area beyone the portal. It was the sixe and shape of Atlantis from Stargate: Atlantis.

The geisha mage may bot be the greatest idea for a character on a superhero team. I'm considering making her a geisha who is the wife of the team's mage, Doctor Arcane, who resembles Mandrake the Magician.

She has a magical power that makes her a sought after nightclub magician in the campaign city. Said power is the ability to teleport things out of a one cubic hex pocket reality.