Shapeshifter with VPP - help anyone?

bryanb

One of my players has decided to create a shapshifting character. To this end he has given the base form a VPP with Multiform (as per the USPD). This will allow him to assume the forms of different creatures and is one of the best ways that I can see (Thanks Steve) to do Shapeshifters.

We have one problem though - he has a bunch of skills and languages that he knows in his base form and would like to be able to use them in his new forms. Unfortunately (as far as I know) Multipowers does not facilitate this and I think it is unreasonable for to have to buy these skils again in each multiform....Does anyone have any ideas of how to get around this?

Thanks

Daz

I am not sure why it is unreasonable. When the character changes shape, he can fly if the form has Flight, is super strong if the form has lots of STR, etc. Why should he get to use the form's powers, plus his base forms skills, without purchasing them for the Mutliforms?

I can think of two reasons why you might think that, but I am making assumptions. One is that it means your Multiforms can't have as much raw power if they have to repurchase the skills. If that is the real reason, I don't think it's a good one.

The other, and I suspect this might be what you are thinking, is that your character's mind does not change, just his body, so why does he need to keep buying the skills? I think this is covered by my first paragraph.

If both my assumptions are incorrect, please let us know and someone might be able to allay your concerns.

One alternative is to buy Shape Shift, then a big VPP. When the character Shape Shifts, he activates the VPP and gets Shrinking, Growth, extra Characteristics, Flight or whatever. | have a 2nd Ed. write-up of Changeling and I don't think Shape Shift was even a power then. He just had a Mulitpower (I think) and the actual changes to his form were a special effect of allocating the points to HKA and Running to make a tiger, say.

The problem is that some powers aren't supposed to go into VPPs, such as Enhanced Senses. You could buy them separately, subject to a Limitation Only In Appropriate Form. The value of that will vary from how common it is for the form to have the sense. For example, lots of creatures have good hearing, whereas not many have Sonar. Of course, a friendly GM might allow senses in a Framework anyway.

As you can see this is a really complicated way of doing it; I think you're better off going with Multiform, but, unless I am wrong, you will need to buy skills again for each form.

Anyone got better ideas?

Mind vs Body

One the rulings I made with a shape changer player character is his mind is still his mind. All physical attributes were changes, but no intelligence or ego.

In game terms that meant two things.

For creatures with things like scent...or Sonar...he has to master using them and put these skills on his base form sheet.

IE: Knowledge skill smells (knows basic scants of people he knows, food items, local flora and fauna Etc....

He had a skill roll for using both Sonar and flight.

Now part two

If he had a skill applicable to the form, he could use it.

IE: as a monkey he could use his weapon familiarity if he could lift it..or his acrobatics. also his sign language, but a badger...has incorrect hands for weapons, sign language...and well a badger is not made to swing about...

You would need a competent player, with alot of common sense and one willing to go with gm's rulings on each animal abilities of which skills they could use.

The way that the Shapeshifter is designed is that the VPP can only be used for Multiform - therefore according to the rules the skills need to be bought again. While this can be explained in some forms for some skills (limited manipulation or communication organs) it is not pertinent for some forms. What is a fair ruling? I was thinking of putting a +1/2 advantage on the skills that can be used in the other form? Or maybe the character can use those skills but at the proficiency shown by the characters current form?...What do you think?

Thanks

Whether or not to charge a little more to allow use of the skills in the VVP as part of the cost is really your call. As the Gm you need to do what is fair and works with your game and players.

Just be ready to explain why and how it works no matter what your call is and the player generally accept your ruling on things.