Obvious/Inobvious

wylodmayer

Re: Obvious/Inobvious

However, in response to whoever it was that said that Power Armor people would be getting -3/4, I don't think they would. Although I didn't explicate this point, I was construing Inaccessible in the same way as in current use - that is, even out of combat, it can be removed by someone else in one turn if the owner isn't resisting. This seems false of most powered armor; I'd imagine if Iron Man were unconscious, it still might require special knowledge and/or effort to get the damned armor off of him. Powered Armor, I would say, gets no bonus for accessibility, making it an OUF - Obvious Unaccessible Focus, I guess. -1/2.

Anyway, just a thought.

Got to go with Hugh on this one. If it takes more than a turn to remove from an unresisting person out of combat, then it isn't a focus. Not that it doesn't qualify as Inaccessible, but that it isn't a focus at all. OIHID seems the way to go to me.

Keep in mind that Limitations are game mechanics, not discriptions of how the world works. Not all guns, even ones that aren't physically attached to their user, are OAFs. I've made several characters that use guns that are OIFs, for a variety of reasons. The Inaccessible description isn't just a description of the focus itself, but how the focus and user interact. It doesn't necessarily work to take an object sans context and ask how it can be described in game terms.

I dunno. Captain Marvel' date=' Ultraman, Darna, early Thor, TV version of Wonder Woman, some versions of the Hulk, etc. You could build most of these guys as Multiforms or in other ways, but OIHID is a simple, direct way of representing the ability to make that kind of transformation. It can be abused, but so can most limits.[/quote']

I guess the reason it's useless in my campaign is because I have up to 7 players so I can't focus on their personal life a lot. I do my best to take advantage of DNPCs, etc, but because it would involve a lot of one-on-one roleplaying to have the characters in their normal ID, when teh adventure happens they're almost always in Hero ID. So it would be like free points in my campaign. Thor would almost never be Donald Blake, unless virtually no one showed up for the game.

I guess the reason it's useless in my campaign is because I have up to 7 players so I can't focus on their personal life a lot. I do my best to take advantage of DNPCs' date=' etc, but because it would involve a lot of one-on-one roleplaying to have the characters in their normal ID, when teh adventure happens they're almost always in Hero ID. So it would be like free points in my campaign. Thor would almost never be Donald Blake, unless virtually no one showed up for the game.[/quote']

Fair dinkum. I usually only get 3-4 players except at conventions, which is a different situation as far as how much time PCs get out of uniform. In convention games I usually try to start OIHID characters in their "normal" forms.

If it takes more than a turn to remove from an unresisting person out of combat' date=' then it isn't a focus.[/quote']

As I understand it, it doesn't have to take one turn or less to *remove* it, just to disable it or otherwise render it ineffective. If you've got PowerArmorMan on the ground, you may not be able to remove his power armor in twelve seconds, but you can turn off all of its functions by removing the helmet ("While pushing down, turn."), or you can roll him over and remove the battery pack thus rendering the armor inert.

IIRC, "normal" armors such as plate armor are considered OIFs, even though it takes more than 12 seconds to take off. What makes it a focus, is that in less than 12 seconds, against an non-resisting target in plate armor, you can wedge your sword between the weezan plate and the snotch plate, and stick the guy with no defenses applied.

In other words, some procedure that takes a turn or less, renders the Focus irrelevent.

I guess the reason it's useless in my campaign is because I have up to 7 players so I can't focus on their personal life a lot. I do my best to take advantage of DNPCs' date=' etc, but because it would involve a lot of one-on-one roleplaying to have the characters in their normal ID, when teh adventure happens they're almost always in Hero ID. So it would be like free points in my campaign. Thor would almost never be Donald Blake, unless virtually no one showed up for the game.[/quote']

I can see this, absolutely. if "not in hero ID" scenes hardly ever occur in your game then OIHID as a lim is -0. No difference than say raising the frequency of "seawater" as sfx if your campaign is on the coast rather than in kansas.

Similarly, i would expect that a Gm might also, in such a "almost always in hero id" reduce the value of inaccessable foci since their main weakness (can be taken away out of combat) is likewise rather lessened in frequency... or maybe alter the rules a tad to increase their in combat problematic nature.