Dresden Files -- Magic

Josh S

I am thinking about starting a new "Dresden Files" campaign using Hero. For those of you who do not know the Dresden Files is a series of sci-fi/fantsay books authored by Jim Butcher about a gumshoe wizard in modern day Chicago. It's a fun set of books to read. There is also a new TV series on the sci-fi channel based on the books but I haven't seen it.

Anyway, to my rule question:

Dresden can cast spells, but often he uses a focus to augment and control his ability. For example, to cast a fireball effect he has a magical rod (OAF). However, he can still use his abilities if he loses his focii, although they may be uncontrolled. They may be overpowered, underpowered, have a wider area of effect than intended, takes him longer to cast, require more focused concentration, etc. How would one simulate this in Hero? With the OAF limitation, if you lose the focus you lose the ability until you regain the focus. In Dresden's case his powers become dangerously uncontrollable or unpredictable.

Re: Dresden Files -- Magic

Two easiest ways:

1) Variable limitations. Dresden normally has the limitation OAF, but if he loses his OAF the GM assigns Side Effects and other limits to reflect the out of control nature of the power.

2) Buy all the powers the character has with Side Effects to reflect their uncontrolled nature. Figure out how many real points you've saved. Now spend that number of points on a custom power "Controlled Casting", but apply an OAF to that power. So long as you have the focus, there are no side effects. Try to cast without, and the side effects kick in.

Two easiest ways:

1) Variable limitations. Dresden normally has the limitation OAF, but if he loses his OAF the GM assigns Side Effects and other limits to reflect the out of control nature of the power.

2) Buy all the powers the character has with Side Effects to reflect their uncontrolled nature. Figure out how many real points you've saved. Now spend that number of points on a custom power "Controlled Casting", but apply an OAF to that power. So long as you have the focus, there are no side effects. Try to cast without, and the side effects kick in.

^ Yup. There is an example of #2, which is often called a "partially limited buy off" in a side bar entry of the Champions genre book.

However...a quick example.

Fireball 8d6 Explosion, 60 AP; Side Effects: Random Variance (-1/2); Real Cost: 40 points

The Side Effects saved you 20 points. So, to turn off the SE costs 20 points. If you can only turn it off sometimes, thats a limitation on those 20 points. So:

Controlled Casting, Affects 20 points of Side Effect: Random; 20 AP; OAF: Rod (-1); Real Cost: 10 points

This is a cool way to make things, I use it a lot, but it can get complicated. In many cases you'll likely find Variable Limitation easier to work with.

You might also look up old writeups or discussions of Cyclops. He's got a very similar issue' date=' from a mechanics standpoint.[/quote']

Yes, I supose he does, doesn't he? Cyclops's limitation is much more severe than Dresden's, though.

I am not sure this will work, and it is probably too complicated/expensive, but here goes:

Buy all spells with side effects or variable limitations to be applied as the GM sees fit. Remember the points this limitation is worth.

The wand/rod/amulet/whatever is a focus (OAF) for a suppress of that limitation. It would have to be bought down to 0 END and using Standard Effect to ensure that it would always suppress the entire limitation.

I am not sure that Suppress can be used for this, but I only have my Sidekick PDF with me at work.

Use of variable lims with focus was a bit of s tink around here that led to odd additions to variable lim in hero5er... so the street legal way to do what you are looking for is the "limit with buy off" described above.

One example would be buying every spell with Requires skill roll and side effects (at -1/2) for -1 total and then buying the savings with OAF.

12d6 lightning bolt -1/2 Skill -1/2 Side effects for 30 cp

then buy "doesn't suffer side effects" -1 OAF for 7 cp.

net cost 37 cp. (assuming skill roll remains in effect.)

As an alternative you could just invent your own lim which is the same thing as "unless he has the hockey stick, he has extra lims" and price it at right about the same as -1/2... and just not call this lim "variable lims that can have focus without panties getting bunched" :-)

Personally tho, judging by the series, i think i would represent dresden's magic with a VPP to cover his scope of spells which seem limited by plot more than anything else.

The reason I suggested a chart over a simple variable lim or side effects is one of the examples given was the fireball has more active points (larger AoE) so that can't be bought as a lim without a lot more widgeting of numbers.

Well it is supposed to be a limitation. As a GM, I would only increase the active point total if it had adverse consequences. I.e. the increased area of effect catches the caster and/or allies within its radius, increased damage includes a backlash, etc.

Well it is supposed to be a limitation. As a GM' date=' I would only increase the active point total if it had adverse consequences. I.e. the increased area of effect catches the caster and/or allies within its radius, increased damage includes a backlash, etc.[/quote']

Works for me, it just sounded to me like sometimes the lack of focus would cause the power to be more powerful, if not necessarily controlled or helpful.

If you had, say... personal immunity, the fact that you accidentally doubled the intended power of the blast could still put you in position of wiping out a whole room of thugs specifically because they confiscated that "cane of fire not getting way out of control +2"... or it might just harmlessly burn all the clothes off your body.

Well it is supposed to be a limitation. As a GM' date=' I would only increase the active point total if it had adverse consequences. I.e. the increased area of effect catches the caster and/or allies within its radius, increased damage includes a backlash, etc.[/quote']

Side Effect already covers this. There are various configuration options.

And also, you can combine both; you can have a Side Effect that resolves randomly. The GM just sets the SE lim value to equal what seems appropriate. In the case of SE's that are sometimes circumstantially advantageous (but randomly) the GM may or may not decrease the lim value a little if it seems appropriate. Often the randomness is sufficient to account for it unless the list of random effects is really short.

For instance, if one of the SE's on the random list was x2 Radius on an AoE, while the effect might sometimes be advantageous (affecting more enemies), its also likely to be disadvantageous (more collateral damage, affecting bystanders / allies, etc). I'd call it a wash personally, unless the list of random effects was only like 4 items or something similar.

Personally tho, judging by the series, i think i would represent dresden's magic with a VPP to cover his scope of spells which seem limited by plot more than anything else.

He does happen to have a repertoire of spells he repeatedly uses, though. Although, I agree that each wizard should have a VPP in the various schools of magic he or she is trained in with maybe specific powers done outside the VPP to represent power stunts they have developed through practice. The VPP would represent a wizard's ability to wield raw magic energy in that particular school on an ad hoc basis.

The books mention at various points schools of magic for evocation, summoning, thaumaturgy, and divination. There are probably others that just haven't had need of being mentioned. Glamers, potion brewing, plane shifting, magic item creation are other effects metioned too.