Non-standard numbers of charges.

lapsedgamer

How do you deal with an uneven numbers of charges when you build a character. For example, I see standard limitations and advantages, but what if I want to give someone 40 charges, not 32, not 64, but 40. Do I actually have to do the math to figure out what comes between +1/4 and +1/2, or can I take it as read and call it +1/4. If I can take it as read, what is the cut off, can I go all the way up to 48 charges and still be +1/4?

Re: Non-standard numbers of charges.

The +1/4 means you can have anywhere between 17 and 32 charges, inclusive.

The +1/2 means you can have anywhere between 33 and 64 charges inclusive (yes, including 40 or 48 charges).

To go all the way to 48 charges and still be +1/4... on one power it can't be done. However, if you have a multipower and have two identical slots in that multipower with 24 charges each (+1/4) my understanding is that you would effectively have the same power with 48 charges. Messy, I know, but here are your options:

6d6 EB, 48 charges (+1/2), 45 active points, 45 real points

or

37 Multipower

4u 6d6 EB, 24 charges (+1/4), 37 active points

4u 6d6 EB, 24 charges (+1/4), 37 active points

45 real points

Of course, it gets much cheaper to add more charges to the second framework, but some GMs would notice this and make you buy the charges advantage on the single power.

Sure' date=' I understand it. I just don't know why I would want to pay all the points for less than the full number of charges. It's almost tempting to do the math and parse it out to a gnat's rear end. I have some munchkin in me apparently.[/quote']

The only reason to do it that way is to replicate some real world weapon, or some literary power, or to fit a very particular concept (may only inflict this curse 13 times). Most of the time you'll see characters built with the "breakpoint" number of charges, ie 4, 8, 16, 32...

The only reason to do it that way is to replicate some real world weapon' date=' or some literary power, or to fit a very particular concept (may only inflict this curse 13 times). Most of the time you'll see characters built with the "breakpoint" number of charges, ie 4, 8, 16, 32...[/quote']

In the same way you see lots of 17 and 20 and 23 DEXes.

You know it's been a long time since I chose the number of charges to max out the breakpoint. I usually just pick the number I think appropriate.

If a character brought to me a multipower with 2 identical slots just to get around the charges advantage, he should expect a smack. Not in my games.

If a character brought to me a multipower with 2 identical slots just to get around the charges advantage, he should expect a smack. Not in my games.

Or generally in mine :) But I do know how to abuse, as well as use, the rules. Makes things easier when players try to slip things by me. I've probably already thought of it. ;)