Points Equality

Steve

Re: Points Equality

The point of having a point budget is not to make all the characters equal. After all, you can give me an infinite number of points and I can still use them to create Xander if I feel so inclined. You can always create a less-powerful or effective character. The reason for a point budget is to define, more or less, an upper limit to how powerful and versatile the characters can be at the start of the game. It lends structure to the character design process.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need a base line for comparison. Stick with one system if you want to talk gaming.

As for whether or not I'm lying, personally I don't really care what you think.

Great, we start on equal footing then.

I play to socialize/spend time with friends. You get a good group together' date=' the system you play doesn't really matter.[/quote']As do I, and I agree system doesn't matter. What does matter is that all the characters have equal usefulness.

Go with D&D' date=' 1st: had a dwarf fighter. Good STR. Good CON. DEX was an 8 and his CHA was a 7. One of the most interesting characters I ever played. Why was his DEX low? Decided that he was extremely uncoordinated. This wasn't played for comedy. It was an after effect of a lousy stat roll. He never used a ranged weapon, until he had to, to save the party. Heroes aren't made. They get backed into a corner.[/quote']

You're right this wasn't played for comedy, because what you've described is an effective D&D Character. Who cares if the fighter has an 8 DEX in D&D? He can't use a DEX bonus in heavy armor anyway (although I did notice you choose the 8 for DEX not the 7 ;) ). Now if you said the character had an 8 STR and 7 DEX you might have gone a long way to proving your point.

You want to discuss HERO' date=' well, if there is a wide gap in baseline stats, such as SPD, you need to look at the guy that built the SPD 2 Martial Artist and try to figure out why he didn't bother bumping his SPD. A system like this, where you get to [i']decide[/i] how the character comes out, there needs to be a group discussion prior to sitting down to play, to figure out who is doing what kind of character, what the character's place is going to be in the group, what the low end stat point is going to be and what the high end stat is going to be. And if the players decide on too wide of a gap, where the slowest character would pretty much feel useless, then the GM needs to pipe in and either cap the high end or force the low up higher.

There is no solo act in a group game.

I don't think you understand the argument at all. It doesn't matter if 1 character has stats that are ALL 1's, while another character has stats that are all 100's. They can be just as useful if they are built on the same number of points. The one that has no stats, has a heck of a lot more points for other things than the character that maxed out the stats. It creates balance. You have one useful out of combat one useful in combat

The point of having a point budget is not to make all the characters equal.
Actually that is exactly what it's for.

After all' date=' you can give me an infinite number of points and I can still use them to create Xander if I feel so inclined.[/quote']As I have repeatedly said you can role-play a 10,000pt character anyway you want doesn't mean he's the Xander CONCEPT

You can always create a less-powerful or effective character. The reason for a point budget is to define' date=' more or less, an upper limit to how powerful and versatile the characters can be at the start of the game. It lends structure to the character design process.[/quote']

Okay, I'm incredibly annoyed right now, so this may come out a little harsh:

NO !@#$%^ THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING THIS ENTIRE THREAD!

Speaking as a moderator, this thread is overheated, with posters violating Rule #1. Choosing between locking the thread or issuing infractions to posters, for now I'm locking the thread.

We're all a bunch of gamer monkeys, many or most with twenty years or more sunk into playing this game. Play nice.